Hello Devs,

I'm really disappointed to see that BlackBerry is still not giving high attention to developers. I have been regularly visiting BlackBerry Developers Portal to see the stats of different OSes being used by users. (10.0, 10.1, 10.2).

10.2 has been out from quite some time, but stats found on this link (BlackBerry World - BlackBerry Developer) are not updated. The last time this page was updated is in July 2013. These stats should be updated at least every month to give us up to date information about the BlackBerry World. As a developer, it is very important for me to know how much userbase is using 10.2 before I start targeting that version.

What do you guys think? Do you think they should be more responsible when it comes to working with developers and providing them tools and information. If someone from BlackBerry Developers team reading this, please keep that page updated.

Thanks!
    jeroen_13 likes this.
    12-13-13 09:33 AM
    Yes they should update! We all love to see more info from BlackBerry.

- Number of total active BlackBerry PINS
    - Number of BBOS PINS vs BB10 vs PlayBook
    - Number of download Apps
    - App retention
    - Number on what OS versions are in use

Would be interesting and helpful info for developers.... But most likely would be counter productive to attracting developers or customers.
    12-13-13 09:48 AM
    What to do to get those updated stats? This is really annoying, because this is the only thing which is stopping me from supporting 10.2. Many of my app ideas require updated runtimes in 10.2. God knows when BlackBerry guys will learn something, this is totally unprofessional. They have just made a page and forgot about it. This is their commitment to us. What a shame!

I really like BlackBerry 10 platform, and I want to support it with me apps. But this kind of non-serious, attitude towards developers make me feel angry. Look at Google, they update their infographs in every week or two.
    12-14-13 03:12 PM
    Unless your focus is on users in the US, there is absolutely no reason to ignore 10.2 at this point. The percentage of users on 10.2 has to be half or better by now. Of course the "long tail" of users on 10.0 will stretch on indefinitely, but its few enough people that you can probably get away with ignoring them.

While it may not be reflective if the entire userbase, this developer regularly posts his own download stats:
    Majority of BlackBerry 10 users on newest OS | Ebscer News
    12-22-13 10:39 AM
    I wouldn't reference it myself. I target n-2 (today's OS plus last two releases). Unless there is a security reason.

I could pump the stats out of my apps - but the n-2 has always served me well.

Posted via CB from my LE
    12-23-13 03:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD