Love the BB and I would like to become more than just a user. I would like to develop apps for the BB10 system. I saw there are a number of ways to design and deploy BB10 apps, but which avenue would be the easiest to pick up ?

I have limited c++ experience and I have experience with HTML but not HTML 5 or CSS, but Im willing to grab a book at get after it.

Thanks!
    04-07-13 12:52 PM
    After a few run throughs of the blackberry app examples, I hope someone writes a third party book on developing apps for the blackberrry 10...the tutorials for the native SDK is not really for beginners.
    04-07-13 02:04 PM
    I would buy that book in a heartbeat.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 02:06 PM
    Yea! Well im trying webworks right now .. .since i can find plenty of books on html5 and css.
    04-07-13 02:11 PM
    Not sure if anyone is working on a book

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 07:08 PM
    I am coming from the same background as the OP.... Some old-school C/C++ experience but meanwhile got comfortable doing HTML with websites at work and for various people. So expanding to HTML5/CSS/Javascript was a no-brainer.... You need it these days anyways if you are to make any good looking website and take advantage of the latest user-interface designs/features.

I would without a doubt HIGHLY recommend starting off doing Webworks apps. It is not as powerful as going "Native", so you are limited in the type of apps you can make (not great for high-intensity graphic/sound-dependent games) but it is WAY WAY easier if you are already familiar with HTML. You need almost nothing to get started and can make your apps in no time.

You don't need a book..... at least I didn't use a book. You just look up jQuery, bbUI.js, and read up on CSS and brush up on your Javascript and away you go. If you look up examples on the web, there are tons and tons of them around. That's also why it is so much easier to code Webworks apps if you are just starting off. The amount of combined HTML5/JS/CSS knowledge online is huge!!! And examples are to be found everywhere.... The entire internet is an example to learn from.

Also, if you want to try out some games with Webworks, just search the web for "HTML5 games" and you can see what is possible. As for non-games, you can do all sorts of things with HTML5/CSS/Javascript. Animations, sound, even 3D elements are possible through WebGL.

The user-interface, which was often tough to make "look good" on websites, can now be made very easily using jQuery. You can even create your own "theme" and colors and widget types online, and then download the whole customized jQuery package to your computer. It will create a JS and CSS folder with all your styles and javascript to handle everything. Then you just create your elements in your HTML files and away you go.

If you want to look more like Blackberry 10, I would use bbUI.js which has everything you need (sliders, buttons, animation effects, pages, sliding panels, menus, switches... you name it) but fits more to the Blackberry OS10 theme. In fact, I am moving more and more to bbUI.js because it does look very nice and fits Blackberry the best.

I also dove into some "Native" C/C++ coding using a Marmalade framework to make a fast-graphics game, but it was no walk in the park. There is a steep learning curve, but it is very rewarding!!!! However, if you want my advice... Webworks is a good first step. All you need is Google Chrome + Ripple to view your "website/app" and see how it will look on your BB10 device or Playbook.

Just go here:

https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/

A text-editor (like Notepad++) is good (Notepad++ Home), or you can even make your app in a web-design software like Dreamweaver for the bulk work. However, once you get the hang of it, you'll want to edit the HTML code directly since not all web-software will recognize or display things properly... and sometimes it even screws up your code by filling in it's own tags which don't always play well.

Of course, always check up on here or join a forum if you hit a snag. There are plenty of people to help and places to learn.
    04-08-13 06:53 PM
    I'd write a book.

But it would be about AS3. So probably not interesting to 3/4 of people.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 11:05 PM
    For kids .... to begin understanding how code works goto
    Learn to code | Codecademy
    (please take a thought to have more kids understand about coding its s new world out there).

Also search google for Programming in C+ or C++ plenty of good authors out there that are in PDF format and now (bittorrent free) yet still very useful and powerful.

I'm still digging.
    04-15-13 04:01 PM
    If you'd like you could check out the free HTML5, CSS, and JS, JQuery courses here.

Codecademy

http://www.pfnp.me/what-is-html5/

note: very basic but for complete amoeba newbs such as myself this is helpful; but personally I don't want to learn HTML.
    Last edited by Supa_Fly1; 04-16-13 at 12:06 AM.
    04-15-13 09:28 PM
    Hmmm... so there's a demand for a book on how to code BB10 Cascades? Hmmmm... in the meantime you can check out my site and blog about Cascades (links in sig). All examples/code is unique to my sites written by me (as in no repostings from others or official BB examples).
    04-21-13 11:37 AM