To all of the App developers out there.

The TV Junkie

I would like an app, and am surprised there is not one or at least I have not found it, that does the following.

It is tied into one of the numerous TV database sources and has basic information; past and future episode name and original air dates
    Allows me to create a subset of �My Shows�
    Allows me to rate my shows and based on my ratings and correlations / statistics of other users recommends shows I may like
    Allows me to �check off� the episodes I have watched and if I am all caught up and a new one becomes avaiable I get alerted to �catch the latest episopde of Breaking Bad tonight on AMC� or �Breaking Bad season 4 now available on Canadian Netflix� and of course you charge AMC and netflix for the advertising.

With opportunities to catch content on Netflix, Live TV, PVR, Mobile and with such a huge selection of shows to watch I would think this would be a popular app. I do not watch a tremendous amount of TV so when I do sit down in front of the TV I can never remember what the last episode of Sons of Anarchy was that I watched, was it season 2 or season 3??

If anybody knows of a similar app on Blackberry World or that I can sideload to my Playbook or Z10, please let me know.

Thanks

Twis
    12-05-13 03:55 PM
    Sounds good to me! Maybe you can get someone interested in the project.
    12-06-13 01:13 AM
    Administrator moved this thread for me. Just hoping to find either an app that already does this or find out if anybody is considering developing one.

I am also a sideloader, is there anything like this for Android?

Thanks

Twis
    12-11-13 01:24 PM
    To all of the App developers out there.

The TV Junkie

I would like an app, and am surprised there is not one or at least I have not found it, that does the following.

It is tied into one of the numerous TV database sources and has basic information; past and future episode name and original air dates

Allows me to create a subset of “My Shows”
    Allows me to rate my shows and based on my ratings and correlations / statistics of other users recommends shows I may like
    Allows me to “check off” the episodes I have watched and if I am all caught up and a new one becomes avaiable I get alerted to “catch the latest episopde of Breaking Bad tonight on AMC” or “Breaking Bad season 4 now available on Canadian Netflix” and of course you charge AMC and netflix for the advertising.
    Examples?
    12-12-13 08:07 PM
    I did a quick search on TV databases and found MovieDB (which does movies and TV shows).

There is a BB10 app for that.
    MovieDB gets data by the TMDb API which provides detailed information about actors, overview, camera, costume & make up, directing, editing, production, sound, writing, and also ratings, trailers, images, homepages, runtime, release date, budget and revenue.
    12-12-13 08:17 PM
    Thanks Logan Six. I will add that app, but I am still hoping for the functionality to

"Allows me to create a subset of “My Shows”
    Allows me to “check off” the episodes I have watched and if I am all caught up and a new one becomes avaiable I get alerted to “catch the latest episopde of Breaking Bad tonight on AMC” or “Breaking Bad season 4 now available on Canadian Netflix” and of course you charge AMC and netflix for the advertising."

Thanks

Twis
    12-13-13 01:40 PM
    "Allows me to create a subset of “My Shows”
    Beyond starting a new TV database, any app would limited to an existing TV database with that functionality. i.e. Favorites.
    If the functionality exists on the TV database website, but not the app, then the option is to contact the app developer or back to creating an app for this.

Allows me to “check off” the episodes I have watched and if I am all caught up and a new one becomes available I get alerted to “catch the latest episopde of Breaking Bad tonight on AMC” or “Breaking Bad season 4 now available on Canadian Netflix” and of course you charge AMC and netflix for the advertising."
    I tried to see if there was a way to get FCC data for an app. You can get some data, I'm not sure if you can get the programming information. I didn't look at it very long. The point of this would be, short of getting this information, you can't get alerts for upcoming shows. I would assume a good TV database would be getting this information (either thru FCC or scrapping TV channel sites). As for Netflix....well, that's a little thorn, since they won't open up the API very much. However, they do open enough to do searches on what they have. So, if the TV database is providing show times, then it might be an option to request that they show Netflix (and maybe RedBox) availability.

ADDENDUM :
    Technically, the app could call Netflix search functions to see if the show was available. It wouldn't have to be embedded into the TV Database, but that would be preferred.
    12-13-13 02:14 PM
    Yeah this would be a ton of work....for a hobby developer. it might take a year to get something like this up and running well. It's a good idea though and I hope someone picks it up

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 09:19 PM
    Looks like my prayers were answered.

10.2.1 + 1 Mobile Market App = Cliffhanger.

Cliffhanger seems to do everything I hilighted above and more.

Thanks

Twis
    01-29-14 08:36 AM