I just spent $1.99 on a game from an App Developer whom shall remain nameless. Needless to say I have asked for a refund!

For the love of god, please please please stop making bad apps!! Please!!!! You know who you are and you are slowly killing BlackBerry and BlackBerry World!

If you want me to pay my hard earned money on your app or game, then please put in the time and effort to make a good quality game or application!! Please those developers of you who wish to respond by saying BlackBerry and/or their app writing tools don't facilitate making good apps, please refer to any game made by Vector Unit! I have purchased all of Vector Unit's games that were not free, and Vector Unit ( for example) gives me hope for the future of BlackBerry World! These games are clearly marked "Built for BlackBerry". So really there is no excuse for the absolute crap I've seen AND paid for in BlackBerry World!! So if you find that you are not making any money on the apps/games you are developing, then please stop creating them on your lunchbreak while you are eating a ham and cheese sandwich at Tim Hortons!! If this is too much to ask, or if it's too hard to write a good app or game then please do us all a favour and QUIT!!! There are lots of honest and well paying jobs out there that you could do instead!! Otherwise just make your app/game free so I don't get taken for $1.99. I'd rather spend it on a Medium double double at Tim Hortons!!

In the meantime, those of you that are creating good quality games and applications for example, Gameloft, Vector Unit, Gadget Box, etc., please be assured that I do look for new quality apps and games, and I have no problem paying $1.99 or more cause I can SEE the quality of your work!!

Cheers!!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by pkcable; 08-26-13 at 09:57 PM. Reason: language
    BB10QNX and BlackQtCoder like this.
    08-24-13 02:28 AM
    Was it an Android port?
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    08-24-13 02:40 AM
    Was it an Android port?
    I don't know and I don't care! It was bad, that's all that matters.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-13 08:54 AM
    You should care if your spending your money on it. I know I would sure as hell want to know.
    08-24-13 09:01 AM
    Why should the app remain nameless? It's a free market and if it's rubbish, we should know which app it is and why you think it's rubbish.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-13 09:21 AM
    What I will tell all of you is that in the future before I even think of buying a game I will carefully read over the reviews first. If there are no reviews at all, I won't buy the game or the app. I suggest you all do the same. Read the reviews first. The other thing I will say is I haven't seen my review on BlackBerry World as yet. I'm hoping that I have not been censored.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-13 10:22 AM
    There should be a refund mechanism in BB World just like in Google Play Store.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-13 11:21 AM
    There is still an opportunity here for Blackberry. Instead of playing the quantity game, which they can't win, they should focus on quality. Blackberry World should have the absolute highest standards and most extensive review process.

It would be a bold move, of course, because it would mean fewer apps. But the experience for customers would be great because you wouldn't see all the junk you find on Apple and Google's stores. For developers, it would be a nice opportunity for those who care about their work and want to be in a store where quality matters.
    08-24-13 12:03 PM
    Was the game just not enjoyable to play? Or was it bug ridden, or not operating properly on your device? That's a bit important to clarify, because one would fall under the category of buyer beware with no obligation for refund, while the other would justify a refund because it didn't perform as advertised.
    08-24-13 12:08 PM
    What I will tell all of you is that in the future before I even think of buying a game I will carefully read over the reviews first. If there are no reviews at all, I won't buy the game or the app. I suggest you all do the same. Read the reviews first. The other thing I will say is I haven't seen my review on BlackBerry World as yet. I'm hoping that I have not been censored.

Posted via CB10
    Well, someone will have to try it to write a review, now won't they? If we all wait for the review, nobody will ever write a review. Chicken and egg, BlackBerry and Apps.

But yes, BlackBerry World is full of subpar apps, calling them apps would shorten the lifetime of developers worldwide. For example, "MySims" or something like that, $6 and the screenshot precisely shows an RSS feed reader from a blog or something.

A lot of "apps" in BlackBerry World are like that: glorified RSS reader.

BlackBerry needs to start cleaning up shop, literally.

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 08-29-13 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Language
    08-24-13 12:10 PM
    That's like buying something from a bin at the Dollar Store, having it break immediately, and then firing off an email the manufacturer in China or Thailand complaining that it broke and asking them why they have no pride in their work. The response, if they even bother, would be something like "You bought something for $1.99. What did you expect?"

The reason why $1.99 is a viable price for an app is that built into the price is an implied disclaimer:

WARNING - There is a good chance that this app is a piece of crap and you will not get your money's worth. The good news is that you can try 10 different ones before you find the one that will be worth $20 to you.

It's so much better than the old days when you had to spend $20-30 on a Palm OS app and pray that you made the right choice. Did you really think you were going to spend $30 per year to buy the 15 apps that you would use on a regular basis on your mobile device?

I used to develop and sell apps in the Palm OS days and you had to charge at least $15 because by the time you do credit card transaction, generate the unlock key, do the installation tech support, resend lost keys, maintain the web portal, run some ads, you only had a few bucks left for development costs.
    08-24-13 12:34 PM
    There should be a refund mechanism in BB World just like in Google Play Store.

Posted via CB10
    Just go to BlackBerry World Support there you will see towards the bottom right a blue box that says Refund Support

Posted via CB10
    BB10QNX likes this.
    08-24-13 12:44 PM
    That's like buying something from a bin at the Dollar Store, having it break immediately, and then firing off an email the manufacturer in China or Thailand complaining that it broke and asking them why they have no pride in their work. The response, if they even bother, would be something like "You bought something for $1.99. What did you expect?"

The reason why $1.99 is a viable price for an app is that built into the price is an implied disclaimer:

WARNING - There is a good chance that this app is a piece of crap and you will not get your money's worth. The good news is that you can try 10 different ones before you find the one that will be worth $20 to you.

It's so much better than the old days when you had to spend $20-30 on a Palm OS app and pray that you made the right choice. Did you really think you were going to spend $30 per year to buy the 15 apps that you would use on a regular basis on your mobile device?

I used to develop and sell apps in the Palm OS days and you had to charge at least $15 because by the time you do credit card transaction, generate the unlock key, do the installation tech support, resend lost keys, maintain the web portal, run some ads, you only had a few bucks left for development costs.
    Have you even realized what is implied in your post and how much of it is present?

"I don't know about now, but in the old days..."

No. I don't care. This is not Palm OS. I couldn't care less how much is your development cost, I want quality app, and if you go with "implied", I'll be sure to tell everyone I can get my hands on how sh**ty you are as a developer and tell them never to buy your apps, so you better have a real good app with no alternative in the market.

I don't judge app price by its development cost, I judge app price by its function. Huge game? OK, $5 is not a big deal. A simple battery info app? $2 is already stretching it.

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    DS1331 likes this.
    08-24-13 08:09 PM
    Just go to BlackBerry World Support there you will see towards the bottom right a blue box that says Refund Support

Posted via CB10
    Does Refund Support instantly refund your money? Because that's how Google Play Store works. Simply hit refund and you don't even have to deal with any "support"

Sent from my gesture controlled Nexus 4
    08-24-13 08:21 PM
    I don't judge app price by its development cost, I judge app price by its function. Huge game? OK, $5 is not a big deal. A simple battery info app? $2 is already stretching it.STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    That's right, how dare a developer actually charge a price commensurate with their development cost? Those cads!
    08-24-13 09:10 PM
    That's right, how dare a developer actually charge a price commensurate with their development cost? Those cads!
    And? Of what is the significance to me, the customer?

As long as the price is right, anyone would pay for anything. $15? Sure, but you better have the functionality to go with it. Charging $15 for a flashlight, for example, is just asking for trouble. I care not the development cost, I care only the price you put on your product.

SONY put a lot of money for their 1st gen PS3, the price skyrocketed, and what good did it do for them?

BlackBerry put $700 for Z10, how many screamed "overpriced" for its specs?

Really guys, you wanna argue about price, while at the same time knocking off the customer? The one with money in their wallet?

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 08-29-13 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Language
    08-24-13 10:14 PM

LOL I remember well the PalmOS days.

And? Of what is the significance to me, the customer?

As long as the price is right, anyone would pay for anything. $15? Sure, but you better have the functionality to go with it. Charging $15 for a f**king flashlight, for example, is just asking for trouble. I care not the development cost, I care only the price you put on your product.

SONY put a **** load of money for their 1st gen PS3, the price skyrocketed, and what good did it do for them?

BlackBerry put $700 for Z10, how many screamed "overpriced" for its specs?

Really guys, you wanna argue about price, while at the same time knocking off the customer? The one with money in their wallet?

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    I think you are unfairly aiming you frustrations at fellow forum members. Not everyone in this thread is a developer, and not everyone is going to agree with you, please don't take it out on forum members that have a different opinion. On some OS's you have to pay $30 for a navigation app, where on others it is free for example. Different people have different perspectives.
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    08-26-13 03:25 PM
    So just a quick update for you all that responded to my post. My rating STILL has not appeared on BlackBerry World! The only thing I can say about this is......CENSORED!!

The other thing that hasn't happened is a reply email from the developer for a refund.

BTW, I'm writing this post from Beautiful, Sunny, Myrtle Beach in South Carolina!! It is absolutely great here!! Good people, Good Food, and Good Times!! The Southern Hospitality is no myth!!! You folks here in SC are really awesome!! Please Sound Off if you're from SC!! ......Ummmm btw, I'm keeping my eyes open everybody!! 90% Android here so far! My GF and I are the only ones with Q10s!

Now I'm off to the KISS Coffee House for a Rockuccino at Broadway on the Beach!!

Cheers!!

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 04:00 PM
    So just a quick update for you all that responded to my post. My rating STILL has not appeared on BlackBerry World! The only thing I can say about this is......CENSORED!!

The other thing that hasn't happened is a reply email from the developer for a refund.
    If you review contained any inappropriate language it will automatically be denied by Blackberry and will no show up. Based on your OP I am betting that is probably the case.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 07:59 PM

BTW, I'm writing this post from Beautiful, Sunny, Myrtle Beach in South Carolina!! It is absolutely great here!! Good people, Good Food, and Good Times!! The Southern Hospitality is no myth!!! You folks here in SC are really awesome!! Please Sound Off if you're from SC!! ......Ummmm btw, I'm keeping my eyes open everybody!! 90% Android here so far! My GF and I are the only ones with Q10s!

Now I'm off to the KISS Coffee House for a Rockuccino at Broadway on the Beach!!

Cheers!!

Posted via CB10
    Emailing the developer for a refund won't work. You didn't buy the app from the developer, you bought it from BlackBerry. That's like asking Samsung to give you a refund for a device you bought from Target. You paid BlackBerry for the app, not the developer. The refund needs to come from the store where you bought it.
    08-26-13 08:28 PM
    LOL I remember well the PalmOS days.

I think you are unfairly aiming you frustrations at fellow forum members. Not everyone in this thread is a developer, and not everyone is going to agree with you, please don't take it out on forum members that have a different opinion. On some OS's you have to pay $30 for a navigation app, where on others it is free for example. Different people have different perspectives.
    I'm trying to change the perspective of the guy who said "$2 equals no responsibility whatsoever in any definition of the word". That's not how business works. And if that's how they do business, customers have the right to vote with their wallet. In this case, I, a customer, will vote with my wallet, plus telling everybody else I can get my hands on to do so.

Trying to change perspectives, that's the entire reason humanity invented debates

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    08-27-13 02:22 AM
    What was wrong with the app?
    08-29-13 06:48 AM