I'm not sure if this is possible or is necessarily a good idea, but please hear out this thought and give some feedback.

I was thinking of how we often organize campaigns to ask developers for apps on the CrackBerry forums. Such as mass tweeting a company, emailing support, or commenting in company forums.

I was wondering if it would be possible to create an app where users could submit a company they want an App from? Then from a list of Apps users could vote on which apps are most wanted. The most wanted App at the end of the week would be chosen and then the App would create an email from the user's device, send a tweet, make a fb post, or do all of the above directed to the company. Then the company would be removed from eligibility for say a period of a month, before it can be chosen again.

Such an App would make it extremely easy to organize BB10 users to ask developers and companies for Apps that they would like to see come to the platform. I was thinking any email/tweet/post created could have a line added to it such as "Sent from my Z10" , Q10, or BB10 Device.

Drawback,
    As developers, I'm sure none of you would like to be spammed with 1000s of emails at a time.
    (The idea of one company a week, without repeat for the period of a month should alleviate it from happening a crazy amount)

On the positive,
    This App could be used to show interest to developers from actual users of the BB10 platform.
    You could also make the app so that it emails/tweets/posts from all users whether or not they voted on a company that week. So anyone who has the app would voice the opinion of the greater BlackBerry10 user base.

Possible, realistic, or just crazy?
    R Field and app_Developer like this.
    04-06-13 09:34 PM
    I think it's actually an interesting idea, and certainly shouldn't be a technological challenge.

There would have to be some way to identify unique devices to prevent "ballot stuffing" though.

So you would have a "nomination" process, possibly curated by someone to prevent bogus/misspelled/offensive entries, and once the moderator approves the submission (some log somewhere so people had confidence the moderator wasn't gaming the system themselves), it would become a choice on a menu you could vote on.

Have a search function so you can find things easily.

Maybe not even a single moderator, you could have a system where the users themselves had to vote before an item appeared at first, perhaps a trusted pool of users at first, then it could be voted upon. To prevent people from nominating things like "bewbz" and so on.

I wonder if you could integrate it into BBM or something. By definition each PIN is unique, so that should solve the ballot-stuffing issue.
    app_Developer likes this.
    04-06-13 09:44 PM
    Great thinking!

I thought such an app would need a dedicated moderator(s) so once something such as Skype was submitted, you wouldn't get copies like misspellings or different cases, such as skype, Skype Messenger, skyp etc. And then of course there would be the chore of assigning contact details to the weekly winner so the messages could be sent out.

So it would be the type of App that would need active support, but once a week finding contact details shouldn't be too extreme. Especially if you could sign up a system to moderate the submissions or just have trusted moderators do it.
    04-06-13 10:14 PM
    I like this idea.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 02:37 AM
    Great idea. Don't limit it just to companies that you want to make apps. Also include general app ideas that any dev could make and let users and devs develop the concepts collectively.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 12:27 PM
    Done and released, though it's crippled now because apparently a bunch of companies complained about the emails, so he disabled the email feature, which makes it sort of pointless for me because I don't use twitter..

BlackBerry World - Give Me That App!
    08-03-13 03:09 PM
    Done and released, though it's crippled now because apparently a bunch of companies complained about the emails, so he disabled the email feature, which makes it sort of pointless for me because I don't use twitter..

BlackBerry World - Give Me That App!
    Yeah I saw that, I asked him if he used my idea but never heard back from him. Either way I'm glad it's built and I used it as soon as it came out.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 11:49 AM