Hi everyone, I am a big BlackBerry addicted and a BlackBerry Developer.

It's been a year now since I decided to start developing apps for BlackBerry 10 (Happy BerryDevDay to me ) And when I say start it's really from case 0.

So I thought it would be cool to give you guys some kind of feedback of what has happened since then. I will try to make this very short as it might really get boring. lol

Let me say upfront that developing apps for BlackBerry has been a very exciting and interesting experience! I went through everything! Reading docs online, downloading tools (it was stressing to get Momentics aka SDK work propely, lot of bugs... but once you get pass that you are all good for the rest), reading tuts, watching YouTube videos, sleepless nights fixing errors or getting something to work to the "euphoria" and joy of getting things work, discovering and understanding why how and what things happen in a BlackBerry Device!

But I didn't walk alone, BlackBerry has a WONDERFUL Dev community ( BBM Groups, forums, etc)! There are AWESOME guys out there who are always willing to sacrifice their lunch time, their sleep, their week-ends, to assist you! I mean they really hold your hand and walk you through what has to be done, sometimes even breast feed you ! They are from all over the world and it's AMAZING how we can all be united under one flag "The BlackBerry Flag". it is really helpful!

One other exciting moment is when you get an email saying "Dear
    BlackBerry World Vendor, BlackBerry is pleased to inform you that release 'release number' of your product 'Product name' has been approved." The first time I read this I jumped all over the place!!! Trust me it IS an awesome feeling.

But then you now have to market your app! And this is a very difficult task! Especially for a newbie. To "inform" the world know that you app exists... you a ,small Dev coding from your bedroom... It's tough. Fortunately you can post here on CB and on other BlackBerry related forums about your app. This helps a lot in getting your very first downloads... which can get you very far if your app stands out (but that's another story).

Then you have to manage the feedback of users, listen to customers, make updates... Some are very easy to implement, but others require more time...and sometimes bring more bugs or just break your app in pieces !!!

But at the end of the day it's an amazing experience! To be able to say "I'm a BlackBerry Developer" for a BlackBerry fan like me is it's an awesome feeling.

I managed to publish 3 small apps, and one of them is "Built For Blackberry". Hopefully one day I will make a wonderful uncontested apps that will pay my bills lol.

So to those who want to join the Dev adventure, I really encourage you! But keep in mind that you have to love developing apps and love BlackBerry first! if you start developing to get billions you might be disappointed (like really disappointed). You will get there someday, sometime but it might take a bit of time. Not all Devs are lucky/tallented enough to get billions from an app (plain truth I learned). But the satisfaction you get at the beginning worth more than money (at least at the beginning )

To my dear customers/users, first of all I want to say "THANK YOU VERY MUCH" for your support. I always get someone somewhere in the world, downloading my apps (ok there are days where it stay at 0 though lol). Every single one of you guys is important to me. But please, leaving a 1 star review without saying anything about the bug or what you didn't like doesn't help at all (I think all Devs will agree with me here).
    And since we can not interact through those reviews we can't make the app experience better! (which is so sad!)
    So please contact Devs through emails, twitter or here in the CrackBerry Forum (in a nice way if possible ). It will help "us" a lot. In any way, I really thank you for your support.

I would like also to thank the members of BB Dev: Baby steps BBM Group for the initiative to create such an interesting group (really you should join if you are Baby Dev like me lol), thanks to: Tom H - AgeTDev, Dean Logan - DeanLogic, Echoes, Jeremy Duke - @BerryInformed, Joseph Gaston - QXS, Lloyd Summers - OSBB - FileAchiveHaven, ph03n1x - OSBB - N4BB, Santhosh Manikandan - ANSD STUDIO, Roger Leblanc - CellNinja, Edgardo Arvelaez and all the others (~50 devs) for your help and patience.

I also thank those who publish free samples apps/codes online to guide devs,

Roger LeBlanc for his wonderful github repository
    opensourcebb.com
    Brian Scheirer (Weekend coder)

and please guys (Devs) stop copying and publishing those samples in BBW as if they were yours, it's immoral, criminal and against BlackBerry Nation.

I also want to thank all the BlackBerry Sites and Blogs (blackberryempire.com, n4bb.com, blackberry-10.fr , blackberry-fr.com) and in particular our beloved CrackBerry.com for your effort to create a space where Dev can showcase their apps. Thanks to the team Bla1ze, Dj, Alicia Erlich, James Richardson (Weekend coder, Apps roundup , Apps featuring, App reviews etc). Please keep hunting our apps down lol (Speaking for all Devs here).

Ghuyfel - BlackBerry Addicted and Developer
    Check my apps in BBW
    C00194AE
    @ghuyfel
    dkonigs, NRB, tjseaman and 20 others like this.
    02-02-15 05:50 PM
    That sounds awesome! I have been thinking about trying to develop for BlackBerry, but its definitely not something you can pick up right away. So did you start off with any experience?
    02-02-15 06:44 PM
    Unless I missed it, I don't see anywhere you mentioning your apps?

That may help you get some extra views and hopefully downloads.

This is in developers lounge forum, but non devs occasionally read here too.

Congratulations on your 1 year!!!

Posted via CB10 - Z10 'Powered by BlackBerry'
    02-02-15 07:04 PM
    You can find Fel's stuff here:
    Check this out in BlackBerry World at Ghuyfel - BlackBerry World
    felberry83 likes this.
    02-02-15 10:03 PM
    That sounds awesome! I have been thinking about trying to develop for BlackBerry, but its definitely not something you can pick up right away. So did you start off with any experience?
    Yes I had about 1 year of Java programming and a l bit of C++ as background. I would say you need to have at least some basis in programming( you have to be an hard core programmer though).

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 01:31 AM
    Unless I missed it, I don't see anywhere you mentioning your apps?

That may help you get some extra views and hopefully downloads.

This is in developers lounge forum, but non devs occasionally read here too.

Congratulations on your 1 year!!!

Posted via CB10 - Z10 'Powered by BlackBerry'
    Hi, thanks ! The link is at the bottom . Lol I didn't know where else to post this lol.

Posted via CB10
    tjseaman likes this.
    02-03-15 01:33 AM
    You can find Fel's stuff here:
    Check this out in BlackBerry World at Ghuyfel - BlackBerry World
    Thanks

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 01:34 AM
    Great fel

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2072
    felberry83 likes this.
    02-03-15 09:00 AM
    Thanks for supporting BlackBerry 10!

I use one of your app clear wall

Nice app!

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    02-03-15 09:12 AM
    Thanks for supporting BlackBerry 10!

I use one of your app clear wall

Nice app!

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    Thank you very much for your support

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 04:01 PM
    All the best to you dev!

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 04:21 PM
    Programming sounds very challenging and it's great that you chose to develope for blackberry which is often criticized for its lack of developers and apps.
    02-03-15 04:39 PM
    Hello,
    Nice to read what a developer feels and thinks about BlackBerry. Definitely will try one of your apps. Thanks for sharing your thoughts . All the best of luck and keep moving.
    Regards

Z10 STL-100-3 / CB 10
    02-03-15 05:45 PM
    All the best to you dev!

Posted via CB10
    Thanks a lot

Posted via CB10
    02-04-15 01:03 AM
    Programming sounds very challenging and it's great that you chose to develope for blackberry which is often criticized for its lack of developers and apps.
    Yeah, but it's also fun, I met a lot of good people thanks to it.

Posted via CB10
    02-04-15 01:05 AM
    Hello,
    Nice to read what a developer feels and thinks about BlackBerry. Definitely will try one of your apps. Thanks for sharing your thoughts . All the best of luck and keep moving.
    Regards

Z10 STL-100-3 / CB 10
    Thank you very much !

Posted via CB10
    02-04-15 01:05 AM
    How does one join the Baby Steps BB dev BBM group?

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 09:19 PM
    How does one join the Baby Steps BB dev BBM group?

Posted via CB10
    There is a thread in the BlackBerry 10 Dev category, you drop your pin there and they will add you if there is a free spot.

I will to find the link.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 01:39 AM
    That was a motivating article! Just started android development ( have an app up already) but still desperate to learn BlackBerry development! Just find c++ as a dealbreaker!

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 01:55 AM
    That was a motivating article! Just started android development ( have an app up already) but still desperate to learn BlackBerry development! Just find c++ as a dealbreaker!

Posted via CB10
    Thanks,
    I will definitely encourage you to have a look at it !

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 10:07 AM
    Thanks,
    I will definitely encourage you to have a look at it !

Posted via CB10
    Lol, being a 14 year old, I have my finals for grade 9 right now!

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 06:01 AM
    Guess who just bought your app lol thanks for creating app it's hard work in loyal to blackberry big up you self.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-15 09:13 PM
    Guess who just bought your app lol thanks for creating app it's hard work in loyal to blackberry big up you self.

Posted via CB10
    Lmao, nice thanks a lot for your support.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-15 04:26 PM
    Hi. Great post.

I've just started learning Cascades myself (Udemy course and the book)

I love it so far. Way better than Webworks! C++ is a bit of a steep learning curve though. Although I'm a dev in my day job, I've never done c++ before. It's fun though.

Thanks to you and the other devs for supporting native app development. It's much appreciated.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-15 04:56 PM
    Hi. Great post.

I've just started learning Cascades myself (Udemy course and the book)

I love it so far. Way better than Webworks! C++ is a bit of a steep learning curve though. Although I'm a dev in my day job, I've never done c++ before. It's fun though.

Thanks to you and the other devs for supporting native app development. It's much appreciated.

Posted via CB10
    Hey, that's awesome ! Cascades is really fun indeed. As for c++ you will get used to it... but it might be a bit confusing at first. I was scared of it at first, but now I can't imagine making an app without a strong c++ side. I'm pretty sure the same will happen to you.

What language are you using (in your dev works)

Posted via CB10
    04-08-15 05:58 PM
32 12