I'm a BB newbie and pretty much everything I find in here is instructions on how to do things on a PC.

I'm still running .75 because I feel like I can't find simple, reliable instructions on how to upgrade on a mac, and any troubleshooting help I might require in the process.

Obviously this is a pointless request if nobody is running macs, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

edit: just read that mac users can't upgrade their OS without the official leak. nevermind.
    Last edited by etscore; 02-19-09 at 12:15 PM.
    02-19-09 12:11 PM
    You can buy a crappy old pc for cents... Do that for now... Youll always have more fun and function on ot than a mac for the coming time at least...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-09 12:23 PM
    Another reason not to own a mac.
    unless your making art.
    02-19-09 12:26 PM
    I have a Mac, running Parallels and I won't use it for upgrades. I'll use it for backups however.

I hear that VM Fusion runs well and many other people have used Parallels for upgrades. But I just use my old PC, I feel more secure that way.

I've seen posts saying RIM hates Mac but I don't know the logic behind that. Hopefully they will get us a Desktop Manager. I much rather use my Mac then the PC even with Parallels.
    02-19-09 12:30 PM
    ready for the mac thread? here is the one and only post you need

step 1: if you have an intel mac install parrallels and windows XP, if you own an older mac buy a pc with windows

step 2: install DM

step 3: follow all the instructions now on the forums
    02-19-09 12:31 PM
    I use a Intel mac mini and you can update your blackberry storm by installing VMware Fusion. I then buy or borrow a windows XP disk from somebody and follow the wizard in fusion to install Windows. After you install Windows Xp download Desktop manager 4.7 from blackberry website an you will be able to sync and update your phone like everybody else.
    02-19-09 12:34 PM
    i run VM fusion with XP pro and it seems to work very nicely. but i use my old PC for upgrades
    02-19-09 12:40 PM
    ready for the mac thread? here is the one and only post you need

step 1: if you have an intel mac install parrallels and windows XP, if you own an older mac buy a pc with windows

step 2: install DM

step 3: follow all the instructions now on the forums
    It must be because I have Vista installed on my Mac that I have had problems. I have a pentium processor of course but I don't trust Parallels because one time in the middle of a back up it lost the device completely. DM could not find the device. Mac couldn't find it. It wasn't listed in my devices. Then a few hours later mysteriously everything was normal. Hate to have that happen to me during an update.

I got a PC with XP right next to me, waiting to load the next OFFICIAL update. No leaks allowed.
    02-19-09 12:51 PM
    I think the reason there's no upgrade thread for Mac users is because the only answer is either use a PC or use Windows installed on a virtual machine via parallels or vmware fusion. That's all you can do at least until DM for Mac is released. That being said, there is a mac forum on crackberry, albeit for all BB phones, not just the Storm.
    02-19-09 01:08 PM
    As a Mac user myself, i am not sure what a specific thread for OS upgrades would serve. I am sure you are aware that mac users have their own forum:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f62/

How to go about upgrading leaked OSs has been gone over extensively there. The official OSs will be coming out OTA so there should be no issue with regards to official upgrades. Pete6, a mod, has postulated that RIM may not necessarily come out with a Mac DM because of the OTA releases in the future. So we may be stuck with PocketMac or Missing Sync as our only way of syncing info off of our Macs to our BBs. Hopefully, his postulation is wrong or off and some kind of syncing DM for Mac does get released sometime this year.
    02-19-09 01:21 PM
    Or What About Boot Camp?
    02-19-09 02:52 PM
    I have two macs and 3 pc's. I run parallels with XP on both my macs. Neither will complete an upgrade. I could use bootcamp, but it's much easier to just run the upgrade on a pc. Backups and syncing with Outlook works fine on both macs with parallels. I guess if I did not have access to a PC I would try making a small bootcamp partition and use that since I wouldn't have to buy additional software. If you don't have an Intel Mac then I think you are hosed. Maybe RIM will come out with a native mac version of DM. That would be the best solution by far.
    02-19-09 03:05 PM
    I'm a mac user. My solution- since my wife's on my mac most of the time anyway, I just grab her windows laptop. It's really the only thing we use it for now; unless she has to work from home and that's only becuase my screen's too small.
    02-19-09 03:38 PM
    You can buy a crappy old pc for cents... Do that for now... Youll always have more fun and function on ot than a mac for the coming time at least...
    Right. I use my MacBook for everything... I even sync with PocketMac. But for installing or unistalling apps I just use my broke down old piece o' s... PC.

I would not even turn the thing on except to install the new OS on my Storm.
    03-02-09 09:10 PM
    If there needs to be a mac only forum then there needs to be a PC only forum too.
    03-02-09 10:16 PM
    unless your making art.

Oh please... You did not just go there!

03-02-09 10:24 PM
    Mac + VMWare Fusion ($60) + XP Pro (you know someone who has a copy) + Desktop Manager, works EVERY SINGLE time.
    03-02-09 10:31 PM
    As others have stated, install VMWare, or if you're on Leopard install Boot Camp and dual boot your machine. I've got 2 macs and have had no issues upgrading.

Don't let the fact that you have a mac ruin your enjoyment, just improvise and use a Virtual Machine.

Jim
    03-02-09 10:48 PM
    Oh please... You did not just go there!

I own a macbook pro and I'll say.... It isn't that spectacular. Especially if you use cs4 daily. The mac version of cs4 only reads 2 gigs of memory, but the windows version will read 4 gigs under a 64bit os.
    the whole 'oh my god I own a mac' phase is horrible. You go on any college campus and you will see so many kids with macs.

Back on topic though. I believe you will most likely would be able to run DM on wine. I only say it will most likely run it due to the fact that it can and does run steam very well.

PS. Applecare is horrible my right fan on my macbookpro is going out and they wont fix it because it's a 'known' problem
    03-02-09 11:07 PM
    still a rookie when it comes to blackberrys but i as well use a mac... but vmware fusion running XP is the only thing i have used for updating my storm, have not bricked it yet. but prob just jinxed myself for the next leak...lol but as far as the software goes, EVERYTHING is free if ya know where to look for it, i know i didnt pay a dime for vmware or XP and both are registered lol
    03-02-09 11:54 PM
    That is why you should keep your old laptops
    03-03-09 12:46 AM
    If there needs to be a mac only forum then there needs to be a PC only forum too.
    Lol. EVERY forum is a PC only forum! Well, besides the Mac one...
    03-03-09 02:01 AM
    Mac + VMWare Fusion ($60) + XP Pro (you know someone who has a copy) + Desktop Manager, works EVERY SINGLE time.
    Same here, has not failed me.
    03-03-09 06:11 AM
    Same here, but when Im doing the upgrade I need to keep the VMWARE window as the active windows or else it loses the connection to the phone when the phone reboots. But other than this livable problem it works really well.
    03-03-09 07:49 AM
    unless your making art.
    My making art what??

edit..I understand now..you meant "you're"

hooked on phonics
    03-03-09 10:13 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD