It would be sweeeeet if BB Blend worked in the cloud, fully, even when the device is dead. I mean, it would be kind silly if you were sending commands down to the device just for the device to push commands back up. I guess in the cloud model the exchanges would be done in the cloud and the phone would just get a sync down.

Anyone have insight into this? If it's technically possible for BB to manage those functions in the cloud, I don't see why it wouldn't be made that way. SMS and calls are the only thing that's really not already on a sever somewhere, I guess.
    07-14-14 08:45 PM
    Since we're not even sure of all of the specifics of Blend yet, it's hard to say with any certainty. My educated guess is that it will not be cloud based since this offers a more secure connection (no device, no access to its BBM, etc). It's going to be a developmental step up from Bridge, which allowed information to sync between a handset and a PlayBook so a direct pairing between the handset and computer will be required.

Overall, with a heavy enterprise focus, I don't think we'll see a lot of pure cloud based solutions from BlackBerry since for a lot of enterprise and government accounts, cloud services are either heavily limited or outright banned from use.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 04:51 AM
    @
    rthonpm: That is my guess, too. Cloud it not secure enough and you have have the internet connection on both devices, phone and Laptop / Tablet. The music / video app in the latest leaks always tells you to sync files via BlackBerry Blend if you didn`t have any media on your phone. I think they will replace BlackBerry Link with the new BlackBerry Blend Software on PC / Mac including the extended Bridge feature. I wouldn�t be suprised if they push out BlackBerry Blend Android and iOS apps for secure connections between BlackBerry phones and iPads / Tablets
    07-15-14 06:19 AM
    The experience would be better and more valuable if it were in the cloud entirely, and didn't need to live-tether to the device. This may be another example of BlackBerry trying to tell consumers what they want, and being wrong, again.

Maybe this plays into ion and their massive secure cloud as they call it..
    07-15-14 06:26 AM
    I'd argue the opposite that it would be less reliable if cloud based: there are still big parts of both the US, and the world with very little in the way of reliable internet coverage, or tiered coverage. Syncing that much data over a mobile network for instance, would certainly kill a lot of people's tiered data allotment. Being directly between the computer and the handset is at least building a private network: look how well something like Remote File Access works right now.
    spikesolie likes this.
    07-15-14 01:08 PM
    I have a pay to go phone.. and my school wifi is **** as ****

Basically this would never be useful for me lol

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 05:06 PM
    From what I gather, with Blend your device *basically* acts as a server running the blend service and allows a connected secondary html-compatible device to access it *like a webpage*.

So... your device is a "mini cloud."

lol

Posted via CB10
    KDB84 likes this.
    07-15-14 05:17 PM
    Yup. You basically log into a page hosted on your device.

The advantage of this is doing it from any browser. Desktop/mobile/etc.

Would be nice with ftp to transfer files.

Wireless manager. Maybe ftp backups?

Anything to stop using link...

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 05:47 PM
    I'd argue the opposite that it would be less reliable if cloud based: there are still big parts of both the US, and the world with very little in the way of reliable internet coverage, or tiered coverage. Syncing that much data over a mobile network for instance, would certainly kill a lot of people's tiered data allotment. Being directly between the computer and the handset is at least building a private network: look how well something like Remote File Access works right now.
    I hope it's way better and reliable than the remote file access! So glitchy with my Z10

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 06:13 PM
    The sooner they release blend the better. I don't want to open link one more time!
    Any guesses when they might release blend?

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 07:22 PM
    The sooner they release blend the better. I don't want to open link one more time!
    Any guesses when they might release blend?

Posted via CB10
    My guess would be in september with 10.3

Differentiate or Die
    07-15-14 07:35 PM
    We had a demo of Blend at work this morning.

The presenter mentioned that yes, a USB connection will initiate the contact but that connections through TCP/IP and even via the cellular data network (if allowed through BES policies) could be used.

Not much time was spent on this sadly.
    07-16-14 02:28 PM
    It would be sweeeeet if BB Blend worked in the cloud, fully, even when the device is dead. I mean, it would be kind silly if you were sending commands down to the device just for the device to push commands back up. I guess in the cloud model the exchanges would be done in the cloud and the phone would just get a sync down.

Anyone have insight into this? If it's technically possible for BB to manage those functions in the cloud, I don't see why it wouldn't be made that way. SMS and calls are the only thing that's really not already on a sever somewhere, I guess.
    I hope it's not cloud base. If it is, I won't use it.

BB Proud
    07-16-14 02:47 PM