ok, im trying to transfer some pics from my 9530 to my desktop pc. actaully want to get them all off the phone without going in and emailing them one by one, etc.

so i start the blackberry desktop manager software, go to media, then the middle icon is media manager but the "start" button here to get going is grayed out and unavailable.

any ideas whats wrong here or am i doing something wrong?
    11-26-08 01:06 PM
    Are you using v4.7 or v4.6? I loaded a fresh copy of 4.7 from BB sire and got the same problem. Uninstalled 4.7, download and install 4.6 from BB site and it will work .
    11-26-08 01:48 PM
    When you downloaded Desktop Manager 4.7, did you select the one available WITH Media Manager? There are a few versions you can download and some are with and some are without Media Manager. Sounds like you accidentally downloaded 4.7 without Media Manager.

Do you remember the file size you downloaded? 4.7 with Media Manager should have been around 200 MB, IIRC.
    11-26-08 02:00 PM
    i also read on another thread that if you have Roxio on you computer it has the Media Manager so the DM won't install it.
    11-26-08 02:06 PM
    I'm using 4.7 and having the same problem.
    01-14-09 09:17 PM
    I have the same issue as well. Just got my storm yesterday and am trying to figure everything out today before I head back to work on Tuesday :-)
    01-18-09 03:13 PM
    My Roxio interferes with Vista--here's Vista's error message:

Product
    RoxLiveShare9

Problem
    Service Hang Report

Date
    1/15/2009 12:56 PM

Status
    Report Sent

Description
    Service LiveShare P2P Server 9 hung on starting.

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: ServiceHang
    Service Name: RoxLiveShare9
    Image Name: RoxLiveShare9.exe"
    Image Version: 0.0.0.0
    Service Type: 110
    Start Type: 2
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID: 13743082
    01-18-09 03:31 PM
    I'm pretty sure all these problems have to do more with Vista than anything else. Keep in mind you can just choose NOT to evoke the DM and just use the Vista Windows explorer to drag and drop in either direction. In fact, you MUST be able to see two "USB" drives, BlackBerry 1 and 2 BEFORE anything else will work on a Vista or any Windows machine.

The simplest thing to try: right click the DM desktop icon and choose "Run as Administrator". For example, this worked for me last night with another RIM support program called BlackBerry Media Sync. (totally separate from the DM) Vista was not liking it when I just tried to double click this icon (from my Standard User Vista Account) to go and nuke all my music on my media card, but he like it when I ran it as an administrator (from this same account) .

More work would be to find or create a REAL vista administrator account, nuke everthing RIM/BB in sight, and re-install the DM. At this time, also find/download/install a separate copy of BB Media Sync as another Vista app. I gave up trying to get Media Sync to work UNDER the DM. Better yet, until RIM gets all the Vista bugs out, use Windows XP. If you do go the high road and install a true Vista Administrator account, after you do all the Storm install stuff, for heaven's sake, drop back to using one of your Vista Standard User Accounts to do most everything else. Don't be surfing from this account !

Of course, NOBODY has ANY problems with Vista or any other Microsoft programs, right ?

Doctor Neutron
    Last edited by DoctorNeutron; 01-18-09 at 04:16 PM.
    01-18-09 04:01 PM
    i'll try running DM as an administrator and see what happens.

Roxio isnt crashing me--it's just showing up as an error in my Problem Reports.

thx,
    Jeff
    01-18-09 04:52 PM
    I just fixed mine by uninstalling the one from blackberry.com and installing the version off of verizon's website. I thought it may be an issue with vista 64 bit but it turns out that I did not finnish the download and didnt notice it the first time.
    01-18-09 06:44 PM
    i fixed it by uninstalling then reinstalling the exact same program off the blackberry.com site (the disc didn't work). but, instead of choosing typical install choose custom install and make sure you select all the components. in my case media mangaer was x'd out for some reason and so was certificates. just make sure those and cleared and it worked for me.
    01-18-09 08:16 PM
    i opened DM as an administrator and then used Roxio and downloaded pics and videos--no problem and no error msg appeared in Problem Reports. Maybe that'll do it.
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
    Jeff
    01-18-09 09:18 PM
    i fixed it by uninstalling then reinstalling the exact same program off the blackberry.com site (the disc didn't work). but, instead of choosing typical install choose custom install and make sure you select all the components. in my case media mangaer was x'd out for some reason and so was certificates. just make sure those and cleared and it worked for me.

Pretty much did the same but when I went into to uninstall, I clicked the modify option and then reloaded off the disc... and ensured media manager wasn't x'd out! Seems to work ok now. OS=XP
    01-18-09 09:55 PM
    I had to install the Roxio Media Manager piece manually. For some reason the v4.7 did not, even though it was checked in the Custom install settings. First I used Winzip to extract the file I had downloaded from the blackberry.com site to a folder. In my case I extracted it to C:\Software\Blackberry. Then I went to C:\Software\Blackberry\470_b059_english\SR_MM and ran setup.exe.
    06-08-09 09:34 PM
    Had the same situation. What I did was uninstall the desktop manager software and re-installed the Desktop Manager with media manager. There are multiple options for desktop manager to download, you have to make sure you select the one that says "with media manager." The first one on the list does not include it, so you have to look down the list and select the one that brings media manager.
    07-16-09 08:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD