I'm curious as to what everyone uses to sync their BlackBerrys to their Macs.

I have all my data stored on my Mac using Address Book and iCal. Right now, I'm using Missing Sync 1.0.3 to sync Contacts, Music, Photos, and Tasks. Because I wanted to try out Google Sync, I have my Calendar sent to icalx.com and then I have Google Calendar subscribing to it. I find it very convenient to put in an event and walk away, without having to find a USB cable and sync it.

The one thing I don't like is that I can't put an event into my Curve and have that sync back to my Mac. It's really never been as easy as when I had my Treo since I only have one calendar on my Curve.

I'm currently trying out SpanningSync, and while it seems like a nice wireless sync, I don't want to have to pay for that since I've already paid for Missing Sync.

I am planning on moving to either the Palm Pre (hardware quality is keeping me from making the switch) or an Android device (more likely the Hero). With this in mind, should I really try to embrace having my data on Google, with it looking like SpanningSync being the answer?

Missing Sync does have a product for both, but again, I'm having to come home and pull out the USB cable instead of it just happing (like it would with the iPhone).

So what does everyone else use? Is there something else that I'm not even using?
    12-02-09 01:51 PM
    You are halfway there but there is a better work flow. Try this

iCal <-- Google iCal Sync --> Gmail <-- Google BB Sync --> Phone
    12-02-09 02:00 PM
    Are you talking about using CalDAV? That's basically what comes up when I google "Google iCal Sync." I tried that a bit, and it seems SpanningSync is a lot cleaner and easier to use. I'd also get the benefit of syncing my Address Book with Gmail's contacts and my BB (using Google BB Sync).
    12-02-09 02:04 PM
    Are you talking about using CalDAV? That's basically what comes up when I google "Google iCal Sync." I tried that a bit, and it seems SpanningSync is a lot cleaner and easier to use. I'd also get the benefit of syncing my Address Book with Gmail's contacts and my BB (using Google BB Sync).
    Yes, I was talking about CalDav. It is not going help if you need address sync from Mac to Gmail.

I use both Mac and Windows, I don't even use email/cal/address local applications anymore. Regardless of where I am, I just use Gmail (web) as my default application. Have you thought about that. Gmail web is so powerful now.
    12-02-09 02:11 PM
    So you just store everything in Gmail and have it feed out to your BB? I've thought of doing that, but I guess I'm used to putting in all my events and calendars into iCal. I also like being able to use the Mail app instead of going to the website. I guess it would make more sense if I had something like MobileMe. I think I can put everything into Google and have it sync down to iCal.

Maybe I'll try it for a few weeks and see how I like it.

Any other ideas??
    12-02-09 02:33 PM
    I use the Desktop Manager for Mac. It's available on BlackBerry's website.

BlackBerry - Desktop Software for Mac

There you go.
    12-02-09 02:36 PM
    So you just store everything in Gmail and have it feed out to your BB?
    I am really into "cloud" computing. I don't believe in local storage or applications, USB cable, etc. This is just my preference. I am not a heavy "Microsoft Office" user, so I use Google Docs exclusively.

What is the different between opening iCal or Email program than opening a web browser? All Google online applications have "offline" mode. This is nice for users who travel with a laptop.
    12-02-09 02:43 PM
    I use the Desktop Manager for Mac. It's available on BlackBerry's website.

BlackBerry - Desktop Software for Mac

There you go.
    Ahh, I forgot they finally got that out the door.

One question though, since I've already paid for Missing Sync, what's the benefit to using DM? I know I can upgrade my OS using it, but in the past, I've just used Windows for that.

Is there anything else I'm missing?
    12-02-09 02:46 PM
    This is what I don't get, using DM and USB cable. We buy these high-tech phones and expensive data plans so we can free of computer and landline phone. In the end, you tie yourself back to your computer with an USB cable. No "your" computer or USB cable, no sync.
    12-02-09 02:51 PM
    I am really into "cloud" computing. I don't believe in local storage or applications, USB cable, etc. This is just my preference. I am not a heavy "Microsoft Office" user, so I use Google Docs exclusively.

What is the different between opening iCal or Email program than opening a web browser? All Google online applications have "offline" mode. This is nice for users who travel with a laptop.
    I'm starting to consider this. I'm assuming I would need to sync with my Mac for photos and music though. I guess I'm just reluctant to do it since I've used local storage for so long. The good thing is I think I can get the calendars out of Google and back into iCal if I need to.
    12-02-09 02:52 PM
    What are you doing for photoa and music?
    12-02-09 02:56 PM
    What are you doing for photoa and music?
    I use iPhoto and iTunes for photos and music. I use Missing Sync to sync the photos from my BB to iPhoto and to sync music from iTunes to the BB.
    12-02-09 02:59 PM
    I use iPhoto and iTunes for photos and music. I use Missing Sync to sync the photos from my BB to iPhoto and to sync music from iTunes to the BB.
    For photos and music, there is no getting around local storage because of the sheer size of the files. But I do online backup my songs and photos to Mozy.com for $5 with unlimited storage. My computer can die a horrible death in the next 5 minutes and it wouldn't bother me a bit. I just find another computer and continue to work productively.

Pictures on my phone, I email upload them Picasa. Here the info
    Email upload - Picasa Help
    Last edited by leskchan; 12-02-09 at 03:20 PM.
    12-02-09 03:12 PM
    I used to use PocketMac but now I use BBDM for everything.
    12-02-09 03:52 PM
    I can not get it to recognize my 8330.
    01-14-10 03:56 PM
    Looks like mIQLive works both directions. Automatic backup of contacts, media, and messages.

Only drawback is BestBuy ads on the computer user page.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-10 06:56 PM
    I am currently using the BB desktop. Works pretty good, save for recurring appointments. Hate cloud computing. I am not too interested in putting my data in the hands of others. I don't trust them to keep it safe, secure, or available. Can't imagine their servers going down right when I need my data....... Am trying to find a better sync, really miss the Palm desktop software that worked so well years ago. But, I like the BB better, so I'll suffer with some difficult syncing.
    01-16-10 07:32 AM
    I have spanning sync for my mac. It syncs my address book and my calendar to google calendar and my google contacts. Google sync takes care of the end on the phone. So basically, I can enter anything on any of the 3 places(phone, mac, google) and it all stays in sync automatically. You can set the time interval for spanning sync on your computer to sync with google. Useful app! Costs 25 bucks a year though. Worth it in my opinion.
    spanningsync. com
    Last edited by phoenixstu; 01-16-10 at 09:07 AM. Reason: incorrect price
    01-16-10 09:05 AM
    I am really into "cloud" computing. I don't believe in local storage or applications, USB cable, etc. This is just my preference. I am not a heavy "Microsoft Office" user, so I use Google Docs exclusively..

+1

and now...

What's new in Google Docs?

Just launched!

Upload any file
    Over the next couple of weeks, we�re rolling out the ability to upload, store, and share any file in Google Docs. Your files will be stored in their original format and downloadable from anywhere. Uploading files to the cloud allows them to be safely stored and accessible at all times.

FTW
    01-16-10 02:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD