When I go to the download desktop manager to download it, I am getting probably (perhaps exaggerated) 3 million different choices. Which one do I download?

I have Verizon, Blackberry Curve 8330 (purchased 4 days ago), and PC with Windows Vista. Is that enough information?

So sorry if this is a stupid question, but I really have no idea.
    05-16-09 12:17 PM
    When I go to the download desktop manager to download it, I am getting probably (perhaps exaggerated) 3 million different choices. Which one do I download?

I have Verizon, Blackberry Curve 8330 (purchased 4 days ago), and PC with Windows Vista. Is that enough information?

So sorry if this is a stupid question, but I really have no idea.
    4.5 or 4.6 without media manger.

And it's not a stupid question
    05-16-09 12:19 PM
    Thank you so much. Have a lovely weekend.
    05-16-09 12:27 PM
    You're welcome and I will I'm off for three days

You have a lovely weekend too!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-09 12:32 PM
    Welcome to crackberry!
    05-16-09 12:37 PM
    4.5 or 4.6 without media manger.

And it's not a stupid question
    Could you please explain why you recommend v4.5 or v4.6 "without media manager".

I have never liked how Media Mgr. worked (seems very sluggish). Without Media Mgr. what would be the best way to copy data (mp3s, pics, etc..) to my phone? I currently have any apps that will allow, save data to the 8GB microSDHC card.

I currently have v4.3.0.17 (Nov 2007). Got it off the CD that came w/ my Verizon 8330 which I purchased in August 2008.

I appreciate any help you can provide.
    06-07-09 09:42 PM
    Media Manager is basically a useless app and from my experience it doesn't work to well with Vista 32bit. DM v4.5 and 4.6 are the best versions to use with the Curve.

The easiest way to move media files to/from the BB/PC is by connecting your BB to your PC and drag n drop.

On your BB go to Options/Media Card and set to these settings:

Media Card Support - On
    Encryption Mode - None
    Mass Storage Mode Support - On
    Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected - Yes

The media card should be formatted from the BB and you will have folders on the card for pictures, videos, etc etc.

If you have mass storage mode turned on and you plug your BB into your PC, the PC will see it as a mass storage device and you can drag n drop media files from the PC straight to the specified folders on the media card or from the card to the PC without the use of Desktop Manager or Media Manager.

When you connect your BB to your PC, click Start/My Computer or Computer and you should see the BlackBerry then double click on it and you'll see the folders and start dragin n dropin.

Last edited by blackngray70; 06-07-09 at 11:43 PM.
    06-07-09 11:38 PM
    ScruffyG, wow, to have the OP answer your question from a thread almost a month old...

How awesome is that?

06-07-09 11:57 PM
    I was wondering how to copy images from pc to BB and blackngray70 answer is exquisite.

Thank you for your help!
    06-08-09 08:50 AM
    You're welcome

06-08-09 08:59 AM
    Forum noob question; what does "OP" mean?
    (from Xliderider's post above)

@blackngray70
    I appreciate your diligence responding to an old post. Probably used up all my good BB Karma for the foreseeable future.

Not to press my luck, but...
    I previously had set my BB media setting just as you prescribed w/ the exception that I left Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected set to "prompt". I only did this because of the warning message regarding the inability to access some features while in Mass Storage Mode. Not really sure what those "features" may be??

So in Media Manager, when copying files to my BB, I have always answered "yes" to the prompt regarding converting files to be optimized. Is this necessary? Can I just copy my playlist files w/o Media Manager & will the MP3 files associated follow?

I have directly copied files to the card in the phone when I was short on time, without much thought. But w/o much BB experience I always error on the side of caution & use the manager when ever I can.

Once again thank you for all your help!
    06-08-09 04:42 PM
    Media Manager is basically a useless app and from my experience it doesn't work to well with Vista 32bit. DM v4.5 and 4.6 are the best versions to use with the Curve.

The easiest way to move media files to/from the BB/PC is by connecting your BB to your PC and drag n drop.

On your BB go to Options/Media Card and set to these settings:

Media Card Support - On
    Encryption Mode - None
    Mass Storage Mode Support - On
    Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected - Yes

The media card should be formatted from the BB and you will have folders on the card for pictures, videos, etc etc.

If you have mass storage mode turned on and you plug your BB into your PC, the PC will see it as a mass storage device and you can drag n drop media files from the PC straight to the specified folders on the media card or from the card to the PC without the use of Desktop Manager or Media Manager.

When you connect your BB to your PC, click Start/My Computer or Computer and you should see the BlackBerry then double click on it and you'll see the folders and start dragin n dropin.

I have Vista 64 bit and Media Manager works beautifully for me. Excellent for ringtone transfers to the Blackberry memory or media card.
    06-08-09 05:06 PM
    Doesn't work for me.

06-08-09 05:18 PM
    Doesn't work for me.

Much more candid and informative than a flat proscription against downloading it, don't you think?
    06-08-09 05:41 PM
    Forum noob question; what does "OP" mean?
    (from Xliderider's post above)
    OP means original poster.

@blackngray70
    I appreciate your diligence responding to an old post. Probably used up all my good BB Karma for the foreseeable future.
    lol...no you didn't that is what this place is for to ask questions

Not to press my luck, but...
    I previously had set my BB media setting just as you prescribed w/ the exception that I left Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected set to "prompt". I only did this because of the warning message regarding the inability to access some features while in Mass Storage Mode. Not really sure what those "features" may be??
    That just means you can't access your media card from your BB while it's in mass storage mode and plugged into a PC.

So in Media Manager, when copying files to my BB, I have always answered "yes" to the prompt regarding converting files to be optimized. Is this necessary? Can I just copy my playlist files w/o Media Manager & will the MP3 files associated follow?
    Sorry, I didn't use Media Manager long enough to know

I have directly copied files to the card in the phone when I was short on time, without much thought. But w/o much BB experience I always error on the side of caution & use the manager when ever I can.

Once again thank you for all your help!
    You're welcome and you do what you're most comfortable with it is after all your BB
    06-08-09 05:56 PM
    Much more candid and informative than a flat proscription against downloading it, don't you think?
    No actually I don't, if you read my post very carefully you'll see that I think Media Manager is a useless app. No proscription about it, it's called an opinion.

Personally, I think my post was pretty candid and informative. I gave a detailed description of another way to move media files to and from a BB.

It is so much easier to move the files yourself.

It's my opinion and the OP can take it or leave it.
    Last edited by blackngray70; 06-08-09 at 06:30 PM.
    06-08-09 05:58 PM
    I have a 8330 v.4.5 with media manager. I have it loaded on one of the small netbooks and when I try to open the media manager it will not open. It says to change the settings on my display. unfortunately the settings it requests are higher than what I have available. Any ideas?
    06-09-09 11:35 AM
    I have a 8330 v.4.5 with media manager. I have it loaded on one of the small netbooks and when I try to open the media manager it will not open. It says to change the settings on my display. unfortunately the settings it requests are higher than what I have available. Any ideas?
    Yeah, uninstall DM from your netbook and download and install 4.6 without media manager. As mentioned above, media manager is a waste of time and space on any computer.
    06-09-09 01:31 PM
    Great! Thank you for all your help!

I will keep reading through the Crackberry 101 Lecture area & forums. I am sure I will find the answers to my many more questions there.

Once again thanks for all your help....
    06-09-09 03:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD