Just got my first BB and I'm trying to figure this out!

I know there has been a few other posts regarding the same thing but they haven't helped me.

VZAccess is not available for BB using Mac OS 10.5, so how do you go about that?

I did see another post using US Cellular to access the internet using bluetooth. That actually worked for me but I would have to sign up for another $30 plan. Not interested in doing that so if you have any other tips for me, give me a shout.

Appreciate your time!
    08-21-08 03:10 PM
    You should just get the wireless modem card through VZW. Cost same per month, think the card is free w/ contract and you can use your phone while on laptop. Best way to go IMO

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-08 03:43 PM
    There is no way to use it on a Mac unless you create a manual Dial up connection on the Mac, which I dont know how to do off the top of my head. But here is the info to do it if you can get to the setup screen:
    Dialing Phone Number: #777
    Username: (Your 10-digit phone number here)@vzw3g.com
    Password: vzw

Make sure that is all lowercase too. If you have problems with that info, let me know
    08-21-08 04:10 PM
    Pair the BB to the Mac using bluetooth and create new dial up connection using the BB as the modem.
    08-21-08 04:47 PM
    I'm confused: do I have to pay extra to use my BB as the modem in order to access internet on my laptop?
    08-21-08 04:54 PM
    Yes you do through your carrier. Because if you dont, you'll get charged a whole lot more per kilobyte of usage probably.
    08-21-08 04:58 PM
    I'm confused: do I have to pay extra to use my BB as the modem in order to access internet on my laptop?
    Yes, you have to add tethering to your plan.
    08-21-08 04:58 PM
    There is no way to use it on a Mac unless you create a manual Dial up connection on the Mac, which I dont know how to do off the top of my head. But here is the info to do it if you can get to the setup screen:
    Dialing Phone Number: #777
    Username: (Your 10-digit phone number here)@vzw3g.com
    Password: vzw

Make sure that is all lowercase too. If you have problems with that info, let me know
    Nice job on providing VZW connection settings. This is how it also connects though the VZAccess manager software. So to go though the trouble of setting this up be waste of time without the tethering feature. You will get a username and password error.
    08-21-08 05:06 PM
    Nice job on providing VZW connection settings. This is how it also connects though the VZAccess manager software. So to go though the trouble of setting this up be waste of time without the tethering feature. You will get a username and password error.
    Yeah it is. The switch will deny the request.

I provide technical support for Verizon's advanced devices which include BB's, so I know every little trick to get that stuff to work
    08-21-08 05:10 PM
    Well I tried it on my macbook, I opened safari and it goes straight to verizon site selling me a tethering plan for $30.00 do I wish to activate. Haha not.
    08-21-08 06:16 PM
    Nice, Since I know how the systems work aIl day tech this stuff everyday and the post below said he tried and it did not work....guess I am full of it. Tisk tisk. Although he did not get the error I refered to, he got one better. You gotta pay to play.

I laugh at the complainers that complain about VZW pricing, yet the stay with VZW.

It takes a lot to upset me, but you have just about done it. but good deep breath and once again I am okay. VZW is business there to make money not give service away and end up going under.
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 09-09-08 at 08:22 PM.
    08-21-08 06:28 PM
    Hi all - I am also a Verizon user with a Macbook Pro and have signed up for the tethering ($15 per month with my plan). I have followed the instructions on the posts and video previously provided but am getting a note that I need to dial #777 and hang up ?? Any one seen this error and know if I need to fix something in my preferences?
    08-25-08 06:33 PM
    Hi all - I am also a Verizon user with a Macbook Pro and have signed up for the tethering ($15 per month with my plan). I have followed the instructions on the posts and video previously provided but am getting a note that I need to dial #777 and hang up ?? Any one seen this error and know if I need to fix something in my preferences?
    First off I would call VZW and cancel the $15 per month. the only advanced device that VZW supports tethering with is the motoQ with a MAC. Also what data plan do you have on your BB? if it is the 29.99 data plan you hve the wrong feature. need the $30.

Second who sold you that feature? Store, customer service, or tech support? If you would like to see for yourself, then go to VZAccess Manager then click on supported devices. No software for a MAC and a Blackberry

If you get a manual connection to work great! but if not VZW cannot help. You also need to make sure that the user name is correct and the password. The #777 is correct.
    Last edited by lastraid; 08-25-08 at 06:54 PM.
    08-25-08 06:41 PM
    I have a global data plan which I am told is the most comprehensive of the plans. In prior posts where the user name, password and #777 were provided they told me I had to have the $15 per month so I am really confused. I called Verizon and ordered the additional service. Are you saying I don't need it?
    08-25-08 07:32 PM
    I am telling you that if it is going to work yes. Again this type of connection with a MAC is not suported by VZW? Personally I think it is money not well spent. USB modems are supported with MAC's
    08-25-08 07:37 PM
    I am sorry, so are you telling me that I can not get it to work at all? Or if so, and it is not through the $15 service, how do I do it?
    08-25-08 09:11 PM
    First off, which data plan is your device on? 44.95 or 29.99?

44.99 = $15 for tethering.
    29.99 = $30 for tethering.

As a whole there is a way on MAC to set up a manual connection. If it works then it works, if not VZW tech support will not be able to support a manual connection.

VZW will support any VZW thethered connection though VZAccess Manager. Since there is no VZAccess Manager for a thetherd MAC connection and a Blackberry, VZW will not be able to help if a manual connection does not work.

I hope this helps, if not PM me and I will try to explain it another way
    08-25-08 09:22 PM
    Looks like people have been carrying on in my thread! Figured I'd join in and ask another question. Say you don't have a tethered plan, but you are getting it to work, am I going to be paying per kilobyte usage?

Also, I have the $29.99 plan, was told there's a 10MB limit, got my first bill in which I used roughly 12MB, but wasn't charged extra. Is there like a first month free type deal going on here or was I misinformed regarding the quota?
    09-09-08 08:15 PM
    Just got my first BB and I'm trying to figure this out!

I know there has been a few other posts regarding the same thing but they haven't helped me.

VZAccess is not available for BB using Mac OS 10.5, so how do you go about that?

I did see another post using US Cellular to access the internet using bluetooth. That actually worked for me but I would have to sign up for another $30 plan. Not interested in doing that so if you have any other tips for me, give me a shout.

Appreciate your time!
    I used this link and successfully setup my 8330 with Mac OSX 10.5. What I did was go through the normal setups, but instead of selecting the 8330 as the modem, I selected "Other", and set it to "Verizon PC 5520" or something like that (it's was the only other option on the menu aside from the 8330). I'm not sure what the significance is of the other option, but this worked for me and the 8330 option did not.

I also used #777 for the number, my phone number as the username, and vzw as the password.

The connection was dropped after the first time I connected, but the second time around it seems to have stayed connected, and I've been on for almost 10 minutes.

Hope this helps others.

Bentley
    08-05-09 06:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD