I plugged my Berry into the computer to back up today and it offered me an upgrade to .882. I was thrilled because T-mobile just told me that it was available, but led me seriously astray. They still have 4.6 available. I was getting a bit frustrated, when the line went dead. No call back from the rep.

Anyway, I backed up before I committed, but do I need to worry about vendor.xml files at all since I simply agreed to what the DM said I could have?
    09-02-10 10:37 AM
    If your phone is still working - you should be fine. I have installed an OS w/o deleting the Vendor file and it seemed to work just fine. If all fails on your device, which it shouldn't, then you can always reinstall the OS.
    09-02-10 11:18 AM
    Thank you, Nathan. It is still loading. Hope it works! I spent a month or two of stubborn, prideful grumpiness because I had deleted the vendor.xml when I wanted to go from 4.6 to 5.0 and couldn't get it to work. I didn't really want to ask because I didn't have a data plan at that time and I was afraid all you learned CBs would make fun of a little stay-at-home Mama.

I finally found the second vendor.xml file in a fine fit of fury and LOVE 5.0.
    09-02-10 11:21 AM
    If you are on TMO and get the update fromTMo, you dont have to delete the vendor.xml.
    09-02-10 02:01 PM
    Thank you for your reply, RRWackoStu.

I called and chatted with Tmo both today. The chat rep said that 5.0 is available, then told me to watch the video and then download the os.

The website still shows 4.6. I called a rep and she said that all they offer now is 4.6 for the 8520 and she has no idea at all if they'll release 5.0 or when. She thinks the chat guy probably saw the 5.0 on the DM. (Which is still behind, right?)

I am not getting it from Tmo I don't think. It showed up as an option when I connected to DM for my weekly backup.

Also, it's been working on the upgrade for almost 4 hours now. Is that normal? It took maybe an hour to go from 4.6 to 5.0.0.681
    09-02-10 02:06 PM
    Yes, very normal.
    09-02-10 02:42 PM
    Holy crow. Maybe instead of saying that this process could take an hour or more they should change it to a day or more. Can I shut off my phone and put my sim in another phone or am I stuck?
    09-02-10 02:44 PM
    Let me re-state: One hour is normal. Anything more than that normally is not.
    09-02-10 03:55 PM
    Yeah, i've updated a bunch of times..... 4 hours is NOT normal......How did you make out
    09-02-10 04:09 PM
    Well, I took a huge risk and unplugged it against all the warning of my Berry getting bricked. My grandad is in the hospital and I needed to get an update.

It is absolutely fine. Even after a battery pull. Turns out I had to End Task the download.

Sheesh. I'll try again later.
    09-02-10 04:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD