So I've recently just got a new place and looking to save some money. How fast is the internet if I used it for my desktop computer. Also is the thethering fee cheaper than getting internet. Looking for advice thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-09 12:37 AM
    You need to buy a data plan, and if you want to tether through VZAccess, that's an extra monthly bill. There's apps you can purchase, like Tetherberry or PDAnet, that lets you bypass the tethering charge. However, if you're looking to substitute home internet access with internet from your phone, it won't work out well for you overall if you plan on spending a good amount of time online.

"Unlimited", ultimately, isn't unlimited. There are limits as to how much bandwith you can use in a month, and Verizon will figure it out eventually, and possibly stick you with a huge bill.
    Last edited by thekC; 10-22-09 at 12:48 AM.
    10-22-09 12:45 AM
    Cool thanks for the advice. Time to go internet shopping.

10-22-09 01:01 AM
    Sure thing. Good call on shopping around, others might just chime in and have some other tips, but if there was a way to get around paying for home internet, I gather most would be doing that. And most aren't.
    Best of luck.
    10-22-09 01:05 AM
    I would imagine that Verizon would eventually cancel your account due to the extreme bandwidth usage even though you may have an unlimited data package.. It's in the fine print as to how much you can actually use per month. I used to work for Comcast and we canceled accounts all the time for extreme data consumption. These people were downloading 10-20 gigabytes a day.
    10-22-09 03:26 AM
    Yeah, unfortunately the tethering plan isn't really a great alternative to regular broadband internet. You probably would get sick of the speeds too. Tethering is a great option to do basic internet activity for short amounts of time when you have no other option.
    10-22-09 03:29 AM
    I completely disagree, VZW tethering is great, I even use it for online gaming including Xbox Live. The 5gb dosent eat up as fast as I anticipated and the speeds are decent enough that I don't complain.

10-22-09 04:50 AM
    How much extra is tethering through Verizon?

10-22-09 05:45 AM
    Its an extra $30/month

10-22-09 05:49 AM
    How much internet time does that give me? Also would they add that on to my phone bill, or is it a separate bill?

10-22-09 06:02 AM
    Adds on to bill and your allotted 5gb. I use up about 95% every month, but I'm a heavy gamer. Word of warning, youtube inhales your data

10-22-09 06:04 AM
    Ok thanks for the info

10-22-09 06:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD