I have a Blackberry Bold that is tied to my company's email system through a hosted BES (I guess that is what it is called when they are running the BES server as opposed to me).

Anyway, I am curious if anyone has successfully used the Desktop Manager on their own PC to do OS updates or file transfers (like movies) WITHOUT affecting the settings for the BES.

I had previously owned an 8700c on the same BES and I wanted to put my personal contacts from my home PC on to my phone, but when I connected to Desktop Manager and transfered the information to my phone, it hosed the BES settings (wouldnt send my work email to me anymore) and I had to contact my IT folks to fix it. At that time he mentioned you cant sync with 2 different emails without affecting the other. I am not sure if this would have the same affect or if there is a way to insulate the BES settings so they wont be affected.

Anyone know?
    01-06-09 07:48 PM
    You can upgrade an OS without affecting your BES settings as long as 1) your IT Policy permits OS upgrades and 2) you perform the upgrade while physically connected by USB to a PC that's on the Enterprise network. Usually that means at work, although via VPN may work. I haven't tried it. If you upgrade your OS while at work, you won't have to get IT to reactivate you on the Enterprise. If you do the upgrade at home, you will have to get reactivated. It's trivial for your BES admin to do it. In either case, you need to tell them what you're doing in advance.

I've never heard of a file transfer affecting BES settings. As long as your IT Policy permits file transfers, you shouldn't have a problem.
    01-06-09 07:54 PM
    Thanks Jeff. So are you saying that if I have the Desktop Manager loaded on my work PC and I connect to that PC via a USB cable - it should work?

When I load Desktop Manager, there is a screen that says if this is for local email setup select this install...if this is for work email on BES select this install. Since this is hosted BES, do I select the local email version or the BES version? Does it matter?

Also, would the file transfer have o be on the work pc also or can that be done on my home PC?
    01-06-09 09:19 PM
    Thanks Jeff. So are you saying that if I have the Desktop Manager loaded on my work PC and I connect to that PC via a USB cable - it should work?

When I load Desktop Manager, there is a screen that says if this is for local email setup select this install...if this is for work email on BES select this install. Since this is hosted BES, do I select the local email version or the BES version? Does it matter?

Also, would the file transfer have o be on the work pc also or can that be done on my home PC?
    Yes, if you have Desktop Manager loaded on your work PC and you connect to that PC via a USB cable - it will work. Assuming your IT Policy permits it, you will be able to upgrade your OS. Be sure you have a back up and a copy of your current OS in case you need to roll back. I recommend you use CrackMem for the upgrade.

Yes, it matters. Select the BES option. Local email setup is for BIS users.

File transfer can be done anywhere if your IT Policy permits it; nowhere if it doesn't. The IT Policy resides on your device and on the BES servers and is in effect whether you are physically connected to the network or not.
    01-06-09 09:30 PM
    Ok...so assuming my IT Policy will allow this, do I use the DM to load a .mp4 file (movie) from my computer? Or is that a whole nother discussion? (actually it looks like could connect my BB to my PC - home or work - and select mass storage and drag and drop the file to the device...is that correct?)

Also, I have seen some mention of the IT Policy residing in the Options>Security Screen....what would I be looking for to see whats there (related to the IT Policy)?

Thanks again!!
    Last edited by martyculp; 01-06-09 at 09:56 PM.
    01-06-09 09:47 PM
    Ok...so assuming my IT Policy will allow this, do I use the DM to load a .mp4 file (movie) from my computer? Or is that a whole nother discussion?

Also, I have seen some mention of the IT Policy residing in the Options>Security Screen....what would I be looking for to see whats there (related to the IT Policy)?

Thanks again!!
    You don't use DM to copy movies. You could use Roxio Media Manager, but Forums Moderator Pete6 has put together this list of MM alternatives that work better:
    AUDIO
    use MP3 format and get Audacity: Windows and Audacity: How do I download and install the LAME MP3 encoder?

PICTURES
    Get Image resizing, do it with PIXresizer which will resize any/all your pics for the BlackBerry

VIDEOS
    Get Blackberry Video Converter from Seabyrd Technologies - Blackberry Video Converter

What you'll see on the Security Screen? You will probably see something like the attached screenshot. I doubt it will tell you much. I think all BlackBerries come with a default IT Policy. Your employer may simply edit that without changing the name.
    01-06-09 09:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD