Is there anyway to tether the blackberry storm to my mac using usb. I have paid for the service and just want to use it. I do not want to use bluetooth. Everyone at the verizon store said no problem. I called tech support and they said no. The guy on the phone told me to come here. Any suggestions??
    12-23-08 11:26 AM
    Macintosh� computer users will not be able to use their BlackBerry smartphones as tethered modems with either their Macintosh laptops or desktop computers. There is no support capability for Macintosh computers at this time. The Macintosh computer does not use or recognize the standard modem drivers used by Windows.

At present, there is no tethered modem support using Bluetooth� technology for Macintosh computers.

To set up the BlackBerry smartphoen as a tethered modem in Windows using Bluetooth technology, see KB12544.
    View Document
    Last edited by pltaylor; 12-23-08 at 11:33 AM.
    12-23-08 11:30 AM
    Parallels or VMware fusion
    12-23-08 11:36 AM
    I realize this thread is about a month and a half old...but I stumbled across it and figured I should give the correct answer.

Bluetooth and the Storm ARE possible, and is how I'm connected to post this.

Instructions HERE, and I'm sure they're around this forum somewhere too.
    02-09-09 09:01 AM
    Condo,

Did you ever find a way to USB tether your Storm to your Mac OSX 10.4? I am in the same situation and cannot seem to find a way to make it work. Others have been successful but they may be running 10.5.

Allen
    02-28-09 02:43 AM
    Macintosh� computer users will not be able to use their BlackBerry smartphones as tethered modems with either their Macintosh laptops or desktop computers. There is no support capability for Macintosh computers at this time. The Macintosh computer does not use or recognize the standard modem drivers used by Windows.
    That's just the support mumbo jumbo. It can be done just fine on Macintosh computers, I've been doing it for awhile with two different blackberries.

Unfortunately, though, I don't have a 10.4 machine to tell the OP if it can be done. I've only been doing it on 10.5, and even now I'm doing bluetooth to my Storm because my Missing Sync seems to conflict with the VZAccess Manager. But quite honestly, the speed over bluetooth has been quite good with the Storm (it wasn't so good with my 8703e).

But if you want to try it, are you using the VZ Access Manager for the Motorola Q? That's the one recommended to use for the BlackBerry Storm. I just don't know if it supports 10.4.
    02-28-09 08:50 AM
    That's just the support mumbo jumbo. It can be done just fine on Macintosh computers, I've been doing it for awhile with two different blackberries.

Unfortunately, though, I don't have a 10.4 machine to tell the OP if it can be done. I've only been doing it on 10.5, and even now I'm doing bluetooth to my Storm because my Missing Sync seems to conflict with the VZAccess Manager. But quite honestly, the speed over bluetooth has been quite good with the Storm (it wasn't so good with my 8703e).

But if you want to try it, are you using the VZ Access Manager for the Motorola Q? That's the one recommended to use for the BlackBerry Storm. I just don't know if it supports 10.4.
    Scraggy, can you please explain how you have set the tethering up through bluetooth. *I too am on 10.5 and think this would be extremely useful.

Thanks.
    02-28-09 10:40 AM
    Go to network prefs:

Set up bluetooth device-->Phone-->use the internet!

Pair your phone with your mac: it may take a couple of trys to get your mac to give you a pairing number.

Config: Default
    Telephone Number: #777
    ACCOUNT NAME: your mobile number here with area code atsign vzw3.com
    Password: vzw

I couldn't use the @ symbol in the ACCOUNT NAME: since I'm new, but put it in.

I've gotten over 500K down and 60K up over bluetooth

Cheers!
    02-28-09 11:10 AM
    course that's with verizon...you can google the bluetooth settings for other carriers.
    02-28-09 11:11 AM
    Go to network prefs:

Set up bluetooth device-->Phone-->use the internet!

Pair your phone with your mac: it may take a couple of trys to get your mac to give you a pairing number.

Config: Default
    Telephone Number: #777
    ACCOUNT NAME: your mobile number here with area code atsign vzw3.com
    Password: vzw

I couldn't use the @ symbol in the ACCOUNT NAME: since I'm new, but put it in.

I've gotten over 500K down and 60K up over bluetooth

Cheers!
    Wow, this is great...now where can I obtain this information? Im with Bell Mobility, is it on the phone or should I call them? I dont think I have a password?
    02-28-09 11:53 AM
    I downloaded the version of VZAccess Manager for the MotoQ as has been suggested by many. It installs fine and has the normal error message "No wireless device was found" when the phone is not tethered which is no big surprise. When I tether using the USB cable and try to detect again, I get a different error message: "VSPNotSupported NoVSPOn1030" It is encouraging that it appears to at least be trying to work but I can find NO information on what that error message means. The only thing I can figure is VSP may be virtual serial port but that is just a guess. Perhaps this is just a problem with 10.4 and not with 10.5. I appreciate everyone's response as this has been quite frustrating. I LOVE my Storm which is the first Blackberry I have ever used and I LOVE my Mac. Just wish I could get the two to work together as a USB modem so I can quit carrying around an aircard all the time. It would be interesting to see if ANYONE has ever been successful USB tethering a 10.4 Mac with a Storm.
    02-28-09 12:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD