Alright, so I recently purchased a Blackberry Bold 9000 on AT&T as a way to escape from the clutches of the iPhone craze. Yeah, I know there's a new iPhone coming and it looks great. I even use Mac; I don't own any PCs. But, I don't agree with Mr. Jobs "One size fits all" approach to mobile equipment, much to the chagrin of my peers and co-workers. ("You own 3 Macs but use a Blackberry?! That's impossible!! *head explodes*")

Anyway, so here's my problem: I want to upgrade my bold to the most stable version of v5.0 there is without having to pay $135 to return my phone and buy a 9700... Plus a case. I like my 9000. It's nice, big, has some heft to it, and is white!

To add on to the problem, I use a Mac for management of all my work and fun and want to do the same with my blackberry. I have no money to buy a full version of Windows 7 Professional or even Home Basic!!

Plus, all the articles I have found on the internet are all dated from last year or from January of this year, 2010, and don't show any foresight to future updates to the Desktop Manager from RIM.

So, what are my options? Do I drop the rather beautiful Bold 9000 for a more common looking but more up-to-date Bold 9700, or will one of you be able to help me out?

I look forward to any assistance anyone can give me.
    06-07-10 12:17 AM
    Unless AT&T has officially released a version of OS 5 (and I'm pretty sure they haven't), you're pretty much out of luck. I'm also a Mac user, but luckily I had to buy Vista about two years ago for school work so whenever I want to update my OS, I just run Boot Camp.

Your best bet is to ask a friend to let you use their PC to update, if you don't want to, or can't, shelve out the money for Windows. Not sure if circumstances in your life might ever call for it, but it might actually benefit you to have a copy of Windows, not just for Blackberry but for any other use as we Mac users are still a minority in the computer world.
    06-07-10 03:06 AM
    I don't get what the trouble is, I'm also a mac user

1. Ask a friend
    2. Ask a family member
    3. Ask a friend
    4. Go rent a laptop at school or wherever ( I've done this before)
    5. Ask a friend

You act like you live on a remote island where only mac laptops are available, or that ud need a windows os for longer than 20 mins just:**** ask a friend***

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-07-10 05:14 AM
    I don't get what the trouble is, I'm also a mac user

1. Ask a friend
    2. Ask a family member
    3. Ask a friend
    4. Go rent a laptop at school or wherever ( I've done this before)
    5. Ask a friend

You act like you live on a remote island where only mac laptops are available, or that ud need a windows os for longer than 20 mins just:**** ask a friend***

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Here's the thing though, I do have a friend with a PC, but he's not always at home and doesn't exactly loan out his stuff for other friends to keep for a while.

And I have tried doing the update via PC, but the Optus update somehow doesn't recognize my phone when it's plugged in via USB. It was on a ThinkPad T350, I believe...

Plus, I spent 3 hours trying to make this work, so if there is a step I'm missing, let me know...
    Last edited by wingedgenius; 06-07-10 at 07:23 AM.
    06-07-10 07:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD