Hi guys,

I have a question. I have an unlocked Orange 8520, which I use with a different carrier. I recently noticed that Orange has release the newest OS 5.0.0.xx update THROUGH THE BLACKBERRY SITE, as a 130mb .exe approximately.

When I plug my BB, the desktop manager also prompts me to update the system to "Os 5 components" and a whole bunch of other things.

Should I update the BB through desktop manager, or download and install the .exe, delete the vendor.xml file, and then run the apploader.exe??

Thank you all!
    07-23-10 08:42 AM
    I personally prefer Loader.exe because I like to have control over what's going on and be sure it is doing what I asked it to.

Besides that, if you're no facing any update problems, DM is ok. I never use it (only for testing something here and there after I am forced t downgrade buy a bug or by testing something else).

Welcome to the forums.
    07-23-10 09:01 AM
    Thanks for the info and welcoming!

I forgot to mention that I'm updating from 4.6.314 to 5.0.0.681. Would this affect in anyway the info you just gave me? Another thing, would I still have to delete vendor.xml even though its the same Carrier??

Thanks again...
    07-23-10 09:14 AM
    You only have to remove vendor when you're going to load an OS released by a different carrier.

The version you have on the phone does not prevent updates (or downgrades) unless of course you are trying to load the same version, where it just changes the Apps you tell if to load/unload.
    07-23-10 10:12 AM
    Sorry pojapoja,

I don't mean to hijack your thread in anyway but, I have downloaded that version today from the official BB website and have been trying for the last 3 hours to update my phone via both DM and App Loader with no joy

It gets stuck on connecting to device ROM part, I am using win7 on a laptop.

(Yes i run both DM and AL with XP SP2 and admin rights.)
    07-23-10 11:21 AM
    Did you try downloading the latest DM?
    07-23-10 11:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD