I have an att device on .405 and the only device software I have installed is .442. I renamed the vendor.xml file. When I try to update it lets me put a check mark in the .442 box but says no software available for your device when I try to update.
    01-26-10 10:40 AM
    you don't rename the vendor.xml file.... you delete it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-10 10:46 AM
    I meant deleted. Anyway I figured it out. 5.0.1 does not look for the vendor.xml file but isntead reaches out to RIM to see what software version you are allowed to install. I tricked it by removing my desktop off the network and it worked the old fashion way by looking for the vendor.xml file that I deleted then it let me install .442.
    01-26-10 11:33 AM
    That's bogus. my work computer is hooked up to the interwebs 24/7 and i installed .442 on my 9700 with no problems.

did you use the App Loader or the Desktop Manager.... App Loader doesn't look for the " interweb " latest edition...

01-26-10 11:47 AM
    I launcehd the desktop manager and chose app loader the way I have done it for years. I have done 100s of updates. Never had this issue untill I installed 5.0.1. Was using 4.6.
    01-26-10 11:51 AM
    If you go to " C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader " it will load what is on the hard drive and bypass any "PIN look ups".... i've need DM 4.3-5.0.1 nuke to many BB's and i've yet to see app loader nuke one.

01-26-10 12:09 PM
    Pre 5.0.1 I always did it from the desktop manager but 5.0.1 is the first version that did a pin lookup. I will launch it this way from now on.

Thanks
    01-26-10 12:22 PM
    ...Never had this issue untill I installed 5.0.1. Was using 4.6.
    Why on earth did you update then?

I've been using DM4.6 since it's release, and I've never had a problem upgrading my OS.

I never use App Loader, never disconnect from the internet, never delete previous OS versions (even for different devices), and have never wiped (even in the past when going to and from OS 4.7 & 5.0).

Just delete the vendor.xml, plug in and go... and it always backs up and restores my data and 3rd party apps. Never fails for me on Vista.

I wouldn't update from DM4.6 if you paid me
    01-26-10 12:29 PM
    I meant deleted. Anyway I figured it out. 5.0.1 does not look for the vendor.xml file but isntead reaches out to RIM to see what software version you are allowed to install. I tricked it by removing my desktop off the network and it worked the old fashion way by looking for the vendor.xml file that I deleted then it let me install .442.
    Richard371, can you confirm that you use the following steps to update:?
    1. Download the above OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
    2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
    3. Open DM, plug BB and had DM look for the vendor.xml file?

OR can you list out the steps that you did to the update, if the above are incorrect.
    Thanks,
    01-26-10 12:31 PM

I've been using DM4.6 since it's release, and I've never had a problem upgrading my OS.

I never use App Loader, never disconnect from the internet, never delete previous OS versions (even for different devices), and have never wiped (even in the past when going to and from OS 4.7 & 5.0).

Just delete the vendor.xml, plug in and go... and it always backs up and restores my data and 3rd party apps. Never fails for me on Vista.

i don't see the problem with going to DM 5.0, and if you use it apploader does everything exactly the same, including backups.
    01-26-10 01:28 PM

I am going to have to agree 100% with this. I am never upgrading from 4.6. Always done everything I have needed!
    01-26-10 01:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD