Most of apps like blackberry weather, bebuzz, quciklaunch etc have bulit-in SD backups. So no matter how many times you install/reinstall/upgrade your OS, You can always have your data & settings back from SD card. But there are some apps like Datepedia, Mobile bartender etc do not offer SD Card back-up. I emailed them about this, they advised me to use Desktop Manager for that. Normally I always back up my BB using DM before installing new OS. I do this just for precaution. I prefer to have everything fresh after installing new OS. Usually I install all my apps manually. For contacts, notes, address, calendars etc...�.I depend on my Outlook. So it just takes few seconds to sync my BB with outlook & get everything back. Basically I do not need to use DM & I don't want to either. But for this particular 2 apps (Datepedia & Mobile bartender), I have to use DM. I've added tons of my own recipes in mobile bartender & same thing with Datepedia. It was really a pain in neck to enter all those data manually from device. It took me several days to do that.

My understanding about DM is that it only backup contacts, emails, sms & settings. It does not backup 3rd party apps. Where do DM store data related to Datepedia & Mobile bartender apps?? There are 2 options to recover data using Desktop Manager. One is "All device data & settings"(restore everything) and the other one is customized���just select data you need to recover. I like to use this 2nd option and this way I know which backups are going inside my device. But the problem is�.. I do not see Datepedia & Mobile Bartender's backup data however, I can see address, Memo, emails, BBM, various settings etc. Can you guys tell me where to look for Datepedia & Mobile Bartender backup data? Or Is there any other way to do?? This way I do not need to restore everything from DM. Thanks in advance.
    03-19-11 05:33 AM
    Actually DM backup everything it can, app data included. Not ALL of them thou, but a good load of them.

Here is an example I specially like: BlackBerry Wallet. You ned to set up a password, then type all your credit cards' data into the app. Pretty much the same problem you have with Mobile bartender. I reload my OS, install BlackBerry Wallet and load the back up. Bang. No need to set it up again.

And keep in mind, you DO NOT have to load the whole backup! Create a full bakcup of the device but only load those settings you really need (or can't be bothered doing manually).

DM > Device > Restore > Pick backup file > Check Select device data and settings > and tick away!

Now, problem is, if you don't see it listed there, then it is probably not in the backcup. Contact support again and ask them what exactly you should see in the DM backup file and advise them it might not be getting in there at all.
    Last edited by diegonei; 03-19-11 at 09:04 AM.
    03-19-11 09:02 AM
    DM does back up BlackBerry Wallet because it is BB software. As far as I know it doesn't back up settings from any other third party software so if you can't do it from within the app then you're screwed basically. It is annoying having to set up my app preferences again (except BeBuzz, Quicklaunch and a few others) but there it is. Part of life I am afraid.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-11 09:26 AM
    DM does back up BlackBerry Wallet because it is BB software. As far as I know it doesn't back up settings from any other third party software so if you can't do it from within the app then you're screwed basically. It is annoying having to set up my app preferences again (except BeBuzz, Quicklaunch and a few others) but there it is. Part of life I am afraid.
    That's not 100% true... DM has always backed up my Docs2go prefs... And only recently RIM acquired Data Viz. Same goes for LinkedIn, which is developed by LinkedIn...

You're right and I agree thou, not all apps go into the backup and it is a pain in the back getting things back to speed... (althou I am getting quite fast at it).
    03-19-11 09:57 AM
    @ODAAT & Diegonei........the problem is solved. "RMS Database" is where your third party app data is stored.

Open DM......Restore/Select data to recover/scroll down to "RMS Database"......Voila. This way you do not need to restore everything from DM.
    Last edited by nikesu; 03-20-11 at 05:11 AM.
    03-20-11 05:08 AM
    @ODAAT & Diegonei........the problem is solved. "RMS Database" is where your third party app data is stored.

Open DM......Restore/Select data to recover/scroll down to "RMS Database"......Voila. This way you do not need to restore everything from DM.
    You just got yourself a friend hehe. This is not something most of us knew!
    03-20-11 09:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD