Is there a way to do what I need to do, e.g. to completely - and safely - erase the BB and then reload a clean copy of the OS without using a 3rd-party tool like CrackMem? Or is there no choice at this point?
    06-01-10 08:16 PM
    To remove the OS requires you to use CrackMem or CrackUtil or JL_Cmder. There may be other apps as well. They all perform the same function, running a java command. They just have different user interfaces.

It's been demonstrated many times that it is impossible to write a set of instructions that a determined user can't mess up if he tries hard enough. That said, if you read and understand the help file that comes with CrackMem, you should be fine.
    06-01-10 08:34 PM
    Well, I've done it. Used the "Wipe Device" function in CrackMem and reloaded my OS. As I type this I'm waiting for the BB to reboot.

Some part of me is still expecting to see the "Uncaught Exception" error when the device comes back online.

(a moment or so later)

It rebooted. No error message (this time, he said cynically). And about 140MB of File Free because I haven't restored any of my backup databases or 3rd-party apps yet.

If nothing else, I can confirm that I was successfully able to wipe and reload with CrackMem. I am now going to restore my data from the DM backup files, but only the essentials, like messages, contacts and so forth.

If any problems appear you best believe I'll be posting back!

Thanks for your help thus far, Jeff.
    06-03-10 02:27 AM
    There isn't any BlackBerry Messenger.

EDIT: What happened is, in loader.exe BBM was checked but greyed out, and didn't install. So I went back into loader.exe again, and it was still there, still checked and still greyed out. So I ran loader again and apparently it worked because it's back on now, version 5.0.0.66 from the OS itself, presumably, and it's listed in Core Applications.

I say presumably because I was concerned loader might have detected a BBM version from one of my app backup files, although I don't believe it was reading from one at the time.
    Last edited by Moon_Juice; 06-03-10 at 06:26 AM.
    06-03-10 03:25 AM
    Congratulations on successfully using CrackMem. It sounds like you have solved your problems.
    06-03-10 07:21 AM
    Knock on wood when you say that!
    06-03-10 12:21 PM
    What I'm now seeing is the "dreaded hourglass" - CONSTANTLY. Even during such minor operations as typing two letters, scrolling from one icon to the next, or receiving a call. The device has a noticeable lag. I think it may be due to a 3rd-party app, and I'm trying to trace out the cause.

Separately, I make regular backups of my apps using the method in my signature, and just within the past couple of days, both pre- and post-wipe, I have noticed that Desktop Manager is not compiling a complete list of all installed software. CaptureIt, for example, is among the installed apps no longer reflected in my backup files. This issue first surfaced during the last backup I did before I wiped, and occurred again on the first backup I tried after the reload. To me, it seems farfetched to think this has anything to do with whatever "rogue" app is producing the acute hourglass syndrome, but as far as I can tell that would be the only common thread here. In the past I have had DM "overlook" a theme here and there, but I have also heard of others experiencing this. What I'm seeing is DM "overlooking" not one but several themes and apps, including the aforementioned (and fairly common) app CaptureIt. I do not observe this issue using the 3rd party tool BB MCP, which is why I'm glad I'm in the habit of making redundant backups.
    06-04-10 06:04 AM
    I can't rule out a 3rd party app causing a lag, but in my experience lags such as you are describing are more often caused by poorly written themes or buggy OS versions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-10 08:21 AM
    I'm using the Wind Hellas OS .592, I thought this was one of the "good" ones...?

I woke up today to find my device frozen, unresponsive, displaying the homescreen and flashing the "dead battery" warning light. It was fully charged not six hours prior, and drained completely to 0% in the time since. This has never happened before.
    06-04-10 12:55 PM
    I'm using the Wind Hellas OS .592, I thought this was one of the "good" ones...?

I woke up today to find my device frozen, unresponsive, displaying the homescreen and flashing the "dead battery" warning light. It was fully charged not six hours prior, and drained completely to 0% in the time since. This has never happened before.
    Have you clicked on "switch application" to see which apps are currently running? It sounds like some app or function is stuck in a loop. Did you mistakingly set your weather app to update every 5 minutes? I admit to doing that myself, once.

06-04-10 01:13 PM
    I'm not sure what is a good OS for your device. It is possible that what you experienced overnight is due to a tower problem in your area. If a tower is down, and your phone is trying all night to access a more distant tower using the highest output power, that can quickly drain your battery.

06-04-10 01:14 PM
    I don't know the name of it, but there's an app that will tell you how much memory each running app is using.

06-04-10 01:15 PM
    I tried to look at the Event Log also, to see if anything made any sense or pointed to a culprit, but it is incomprehensible to me. There are errors and warnings, but nothing seems to make any sense. I can't tell what's "normal" or which entries to focus on.
    06-04-10 01:23 PM
    For some reason, my DM backups continue to be incomplete, listing some but not all of my installed apps and themes. As I stated, this only just started recently. I don't even know if it's a matter for a separate thread or just more drama in the saga of my beleaguered soon-to-be paperweight.
    06-04-10 02:31 PM
    The Event Log is intended for use by developers and may not be helpful to you. Some 3rd party apps don't back up reliably, but if it used to back up, it still should. You have certainly had an unusual number of problems with your device.
    06-04-10 03:47 PM
    After rebooting this installation countless times over the past several days, I have just received my first uncaught exception error AGAIN. It was "phone app." I've also been seeing my friend the hourglass a lot again recently. I checked for running apps, and I have none.

Also, I uninstalled everything from my PC, both DM and the device OS, and reinstalled, and it still won't acknowledge all my installed 3rd party apps and themes. Yes, they should be getting backed up. But they're not. BB MCP sees them, so at least I have that, but a DM malfunction like this is unacceptable.

06-06-10 12:41 PM

This goes with the preceding post.

I should mention this error has not repeated (yet) and I have not been seeing the hourglass. I am becoming more and more convinced my unpredictably temperamental BlackBerry must be female. No, but seriously. I think I may have exhausted all my options save replacement, and I'm quite upset about DM.

06-06-10 10:22 PM
    ... it still won't acknowledge all my installed 3rd party apps and themes. Yes, they should be getting backed up. But they're not. BB MCP sees them, so at least I have that, but a DM malfunction like this is unacceptable...
    Your frustration with DM is understandable, but may be misplaced. DM backups aren't intended to include 3rd party apps or themes (which are just apps). Desktop Manager backups just include your personal databases. To backup and restore 3rd party apps requires an additional procedure that's documented here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/upda...updated-53201/
    06-07-10 12:44 PM
    Your frustration with DM is understandable, but may be misplaced. DM backups aren't intended to include 3rd party apps or themes (which are just apps). Desktop Manager backups just include your personal databases. To backup and restore 3rd party apps requires an additional procedure that's documented here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/upda...updated-53201/
    That's what I've been doing! I've even got the link to it in my Crackberry signature. That's what I'm saying - this procedure used to work flawlessly every time. Ever since this problem started, I look in the folder this process creates and that's where I see that things are missing.

I make regular backups of my apps using the method in my signature, and just within the past couple of days, both pre- and post-wipe, I have noticed that Desktop Manager is not compiling a complete list of all installed software...what I'm seeing is DM "overlooking" not one but several themes and apps, including the aforementioned (and fairly common) app CaptureIt. I do not observe this issue using the 3rd party tool BB MCP, which is why I'm glad I'm in the habit of making redundant backups.
    Last edited by Moon_Juice; 06-07-10 at 01:05 PM.
    06-07-10 12:59 PM
    Sorry, your problem has gone on so long I'm beginning to recycle unhelpful solutions! Also known as drinking your own bath-water, it's a sure sign it's time to get out!
    06-07-10 01:09 PM
    In that thread we figured out to change the name or location of the backup store folder and that made the problem go away...at least for now.

Currently I am waiting for the BB to reboot. I used apploader to restore some of the themes I had in one of the aforementioned DM backups.

The last time I batt-pulled, everything *appeared* to be in good working order. None of the errors discussed so far in this thread, including the ones linked to in other threads, have presented themselves. I am hoping things shall remain this way. Thank you again for your guidance.
    06-08-10 02:25 PM
    My mistake. The "error backing up Theme Settings database" in Desktop Manager just came back. I could not be more livid.
    06-09-10 05:15 PM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD