Since I don't have a pc, and can't just wipe and reload OS's, I'd call my carrier and get another phone. You might even get a free upgrade out of the deal. That error msg poppin up would drive me absolutely crazy. I'm still trying to figure out what happened to 5MB of memory since using that Player For Youtube app. It's not causing an error msg, but it's still makin me nuts that the memory is just gone
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

05-11-10 06:49 PM
    Somehow I recovered >15mb total memory doing this, but I know part of it comes from deleting MMS records and VVM records, and the fact that I no longer have Klondike - at least until I load it from my backup file. But even after installing the almost-2MB app WorldMate, I still have close to 15MB more free space than I did prior to reloading .411 . Strange.
    05-11-10 07:07 PM
    Somehow I recovered >15mb total memory doing this...
    Loading a new OS resets the Content Store to its minimum size. If you had never cleared it, that may be where your savings came from. The Content Store is similar to the TEMP directory in a windows machine. It grows steadily larger as you add and remove programs and pieces get left behind. 15MB is a lot to recover, though.
    05-11-10 07:14 PM
    Well, this is interesting. After leaving the device on continuously for a day or so (according to my rough calculations 30+ hours), I did a battery pull.

Prior to doing so, I noticed that App World has disappeared. I've looked in every folder, and made sure "show all" was selected. I switched to a stock theme. App World is nowhere in sight. It's listed under "Applications>Add-On" as installed, but I simply can not find it anywhere.

When I did my battery pull, the progress meter appeared to get hung up, and so I pressed alt-shift-delete. It felt like the reboot took an unusually long time, but the device did come back on line.

Still do not see App World, yet it is still listed under Applications>Add-On.

To the device's credit, however, despite the fact that I have not yet cleared my Content Store or Call Logs, I did not receive the Uncaught Exception error.
    05-12-10 04:19 PM
    Also, just now I connected to DM to do my backups. I was notified that "updates are available" for "S/MIME Email Library" and "X.509 LDAP Browser." I don't know what those things are so I don't know if I should select to update.

EDIT: During the backup process, and after I did the actual backup, I selected to clear the following from the device: content store, phone logs, phone history, MMS messages and VVM messages. Don't know if this is relevant.

EDIT 2: After doing my backups, I went into Applications and deleted App World. I was, of course, prompted for a reboot, and the progress bar hung as before. I had to do another alt-shift-delete and am now waiting for the reboot to complete.

EDIT 3: ...which it did not, forcing a battery pull.
    Last edited by Moon_Juice; 05-12-10 at 05:09 PM. Reason: added information
    05-12-10 04:27 PM
    Have just noticed something odd. Not bad-odd, just odd. I could swear my file free is increasing as I use the device. When it came online, Memory listed 102mb and Status said 107. Now, after activating theme after theme to put my icons back where I want them, Memory is telling me 107 and Status says 111. I'm sure this has nothing to do with anything, but it is pleasing.
    05-12-10 06:31 PM
    App World disappearing is a fairly common problem. I had that happen once without any of the other symptoms you are experiencing. I don't know what causes it.
    05-12-10 08:07 PM
    I haven't even reinstalled App World yet. I figure I can probably just download it next time I decide to use it. I'm relieved to hear this isn't something to worry about.

I have to hedge my previous post. In the time since I made the observation about my File Free, it has dropped to 77 under Status and 73 under Memory. Weather app is running; maybe that's it.

So far, I haven't done any reboots since the problematic one earlier, but if I do and I see anything amiss, anything at all, I shall post back.
    05-12-10 10:15 PM
    Is there even the slightest chance any of this has anything to do with security options? Because I've just discovered my "memory cleaner" is locked to the "on" setting. Locked. I never noticed this before so I don't know if it's new to this OS version, or if it's normal or not. I'm searching CB as we speak but all those posts are from '09 or earlier. The way RIM keeps tweaking things, I never know if what I'm looking at is a glitch or by design. Remember how people thought the "new" lock/standby button was a "bug" at first? Same principle.

Anyway...could there be a connection to my problem here (I'm hoping "no")?

EDIT: I also just noticed that ever since I upgraded my OS, the "mobile backup" item has disappeared from my Options menu. Again I have to ask: is this by design, is this a bug, and is this connected to my original problem? Should I resend my service books?
    Last edited by Moon_Juice; 05-13-10 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Just keep on finding new problems :(
    05-13-10 01:13 AM
    The Memory Cleaner isn't likely to be causing your problems. Mine is locked enabled by my IT Policy and does not cause a problem in my case. I'm running an earlier OS version. Are you a BES user? I don't know any reason why a BIS user would have Memory Cleaner locked.
    05-13-10 07:53 AM
    I use BIS. I found a suggestion in my searching, to go to Status and type BUYR. That reveals extra information: voice and data usage, and IT policy status. Mine says no IT policy, which is correct.

I also read that *supposedly* some 3rd-party apps can apply an IT policy (even though we've just established I don't have one). I have only installed two 3PA recently and they're both fairly well-known and reputable, so I'm hoping that's not it.

I tried to "reverse sync" my contacts from the T-Mobile website, thinking it might reveal the missing Mobile Backup item under Options. Created a "test" contact for the purpose. The sync failed. Timed out.
    05-13-10 02:16 PM
    Also, just now I connected to DM to do my backups. I was notified that "updates are available" for "S/MIME Email Library" and "X.509 LDAP Browser." I don't know what those things are so I don't know if I should select to update.
    Do you have any suggestions for this?

EDIT: Tried to do my daily DM backup. After all these OS reloads, and everything else, the problem described in this thread has resurfaced as well.
    Last edited by Moon_Juice; 05-13-10 at 02:51 PM.
    05-13-10 02:46 PM
    S/MIME is security software that's typically associated with BES applications. You probably don't need it. It must be installed on your device for you to get prompted to update it. You can delete it using the DM app loader. I'm on wap and haven't read the embedded thread you just posted.
    05-13-10 07:31 PM
    Well basically I installed a theme that bricked my device. This way way back when I was still on 4.6.1.231, all of two or three months ago. It gave me a 523 error. I used AppLoader to remove the module and my device appeared to be back to normal. Ever since then, whenever I do a backup in DM, it pops up an error message "theme settings 0 of 1 databases retrieved, backup failed." So far as I know, everything else in the backup file works OK. Occasionally I have tried using "clear" to reset the database, and for two or three days I can back it up again. The downside is that it puts all my icons and folders back to "factory" locations. The real downside is the error always returns anyway. I upgraded to 5.0.0.411, the error kept coming back. Reloaded .411 as described earlier in this thread, still got the error. Upgraded to .592 as described earlier in this thread, still get the error. It took a couple of days before I saw it, but it definitely came back.

And separately, last night I added my Gmail account to my device so that I could delete the Gmail app, and I have TWO icons for the ONE account. One of those is always skinned in the active theme and the other never is. True, this is a whole separate issue but considering we don't even really know what or how much is wrong with this device I believe any symptom could potentially be relevant.

On the bright side, I've done a couple of reboots today and *so far* I haven't seen the Uncaught Exception error...yet.

05-14-10 01:08 AM
    Incompatible themes can cause havoc with a device. However, deleting the theme and upgrading your OS should have been sufficient to correct the problem, so something else is in play, but I don't know what it is.

At this point, if it was my device, I would back up my personal data, not backup my apps, remove the OS from the device, load the correct OS, restore my personal data, and reinstall the apps I wanted to keep from the original downloads, not from an app backup. If that didn't correct the problem, I would conclude I had an intermittent hardware failure and file a warranty claim.
    05-14-10 01:29 AM
    *sigh*

By "correct" you mean go back to what it came with "out of the box?"

And as far as the uncaught exception error...I just did a battery pull, and this time, after I had input my password, I was greeted with "net_rim_bb_qm_peer(205)" etc etc.

EDIT: this is the same device that, when it was only a week old, or new, took it upon itself to password-protect two videos I shot with it. It protected those videos so hard, the encryption was irreversible. I stumped both T-Mobile tech sup and RIM themselves trying to correct that problem. I lost two irreplaceable home movies as a result, and the incident led to my first OS reload barely a month into the BB's working life. Somewhere on CB there is a thread about that.
    Last edited by Moon_Juice; 05-14-10 at 01:53 AM.
    05-14-10 01:50 AM
    No, I didn't mean to imply you had to go back to the OS that came on the device. I don't follow the 8900 specifically, so I don't know the latest official release, but that's what I would install, unless I knew it was defective, (for example, 5.0.0.591 for the Tour).
    05-14-10 01:55 AM
    This sounds like it's edging into PC tool territory. Jl_cmder, CrackMem, other programs of which I have heard much yet know very little. Am I right? Or can this be done with only the device itself and loader.exe?

EDIT: latest official release, to my knowledge, is 5.0.0.592, from the sticky in the 8900 forum.
    Last edited by Moon_Juice; 05-14-10 at 02:30 AM.
    05-14-10 02:26 AM
    Removing your OS requires a 3rd party tool, such as JL_Cmder or CrackMem or CrackUtil. I recommend CrackMem, because you can also use it to remove unneeded components from your OS to free up memory. You can download it from my signature.
    05-14-10 03:07 PM
    2 out of three reboots yesterday produced the (205) error described above

I have the willingness to try to use CrackMem; it would have to be on a day I don't work, and I'd need to be sure I wasn't about to create a $500 paperweight.
    05-15-10 04:23 PM
    S/MIME is security software that's typically associated with BES applications. You probably don't need it. It must be installed on your device for you to get prompted to update it. You can delete it using the DM app loader. I'm on wap and haven't read the embedded thread you just posted.
    Do you know what the "X.509 LDAP Browser" is and why DM prompts me to update?

Also: I notice the BB apparently has on-board diagnostics...? It looks that way from, for instance, one of the listed databases when I do Advanced Backup. If there is such a diagnostic utility built in, how would I access and use it? Maybe it can shed some light on this?
    Last edited by Moon_Juice; 05-15-10 at 04:46 PM.
    05-15-10 04:44 PM
    ...I have the willingness to try to use CrackMem; it would have to be on a day I don't work, and I'd need to be sure I wasn't about to create a $500 paperweight.
    Do you know what the "X.509 LDAP Browser" is and why DM prompts me to update?

Also: I notice the BB apparently has on-board diagnostics...? It looks that way from, for instance, one of the listed databases when I do Advanced Backup. If there is such a diagnostic utility built in, how would I access and use it? Maybe it can shed some light on this?
    If you read, understand, and follow the instructions, it's almost impossible to brick your device using CrackMem. The Help file is exceptionally well written and informative.

I'm not familiar with the LDAP Browser. I've never seen the term.

BlackBerry devices have extensive diagnostics. Go to the Options / Status screen and type test. You won't see the letters display, but when you type the last t, you'll be prompted to run the self-tests.
    05-15-10 06:34 PM
    It seems these are hardware diagnostics. The Berry passed all of them, except for the pixel test. I'm supposed to see a series of colorful screens followed by striped screens, but instead it froze on the first solid-colored screen. The pixels themselves look fine, but the screen was supposed to change, and it didn't.
    05-17-10 04:45 PM
    That's an interesting result. I just ran that test on my Tour and it performed as described in the test. I don't know how a screen self-test failure relates to your other problems, but given that you have other problems, I'd hesitate to dismiss it. I've forgotten if we've discussed warranty, but if you are still in warranty, that self-test result should be sufficient to get you a replacement unit. It's easier to demonstrate to a store person that the software failure.
    05-17-10 05:00 PM
    My BB has developed an ugly habit of freezing on the password unlock screen after rebooting from a battery pull, and then giving me App Error 523. It reboots from the 523 but I invariably get an uncaught exception, net rim bb qm peer (207) or something along those lines. I have screenshots. It's starting to look like I can't just "live with it" and may have to wipe and reload with CrackMem after all. I really hope the instructions are *****-proof. Maybe T-Mo will give me a new 9700 in trade...?
    05-30-10 12:07 PM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD