I make regular backups of all my device data, including 3rd-party apps using the method in my signature. I wanted to make sure the restore operation would actually work, so tonight I tested it using apps I knew I could replace easily should something go wrong. Specifically I used the Precision Modifications theme and the ESPN Mobile Web and Weather Channel quicklaunchers. Safe, trouble-free apps that I could always re-download if necessary.

I deleted them directly from the device, in the Themes and Applications sections, respectively.

Now here's the thing. I used Desktop Manager, not Loader.exe, to restore these apps to my device. Following that, I began to see this error message:

uncaught exception: application net_rim_bb_phone_app(52)is not responding; process terminated

I tried soft reset, hard reset, and battery pull. The error returns every time.

So far as I can tell, everything appears to be working. But from what I am reading here on the forums, this error, especially following a battery pull, means my OS is corrupted and I will need to wipe and reload from scratch.

If I have just solved my own problem, please pardon me. But I want to know if this is avoidable, and whether it's preventable in the future. I've heard it suggested to only use Loader.exe to restore 3rd-party apps from my backup files. Does this definitely make a difference?

Incidentally, my DM version is 5.0.1.37 and my OS version is 5.0.0.411. Device is an 8900.

One more thing - I've also used BB MCP to back up my 3rd-party apps. I tested the restore feature using only the quicklaunchers, and it looked like it worked. I didn't observe any errors on the device after that, either. Is this a program I should be using, or is it recommended that I steer clear?
    Last edited by Moon_Juice; 03-30-10 at 01:23 PM.
    03-30-10 01:20 PM
    Here's an important part of the question: what does it mean if I saw this error consistently, and then intermittently, and now it *appears* to have gone away? Do I still need to wipe and reinstall? Or just let sleeping Berrys lie?
    03-30-10 06:16 PM
    An OS error immediately on reboot after a battery pull almost never goes away without remedial action. However, it if has, I would suggest leaving it as is. Make frequent backups, depending on how dynamic your personal data is, and don't install a new app or theme right before a major deadline (that's always my advice; not just in this case).

I have BB MCP, but haven't used it enough to have an opinion yet. I haven't read anything bad about it.

Bottom line: leave it as is, take precautions, and see what happens.
    03-30-10 06:49 PM
    Thank you, sir. I appreciate the timely response. I'll stay vigilant.

If I may, however, what did you mean by "remedial action?"
    03-30-10 07:12 PM
    ...If I may, however, what did you mean by "remedial action?"
    Sorry. I should have just said "reloading your OS."

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-30-10 07:46 PM
    After a great length of time without any errors, I am seeing the error message again:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f152/fu...roblem-465394/
    05-09-10 06:05 PM
    I read your linked thread. Did anything change before the problems started? Did you add a theme or install a new app?
    05-09-10 06:12 PM
    Well, I add new themes all the time - but ever since that problem I had after installing a DearFloyd theme I am very, very selective about what I will load on my device, and always make sure the theme is compatible with my OS and device model.

I have not installed any new apps. The reason I was on AppWorld that day was to download Poynt, but I got distracted by the "new" BBM version and installed that first. That led to the problems about which I've been posting. I have since installed Poynt from their website directly.

I should emphasize that since the last time I had to post in this thread, I have not seen "error 52" even ONCE, but that I have the "theme settings database" backup problem EVERY time I go to do a DM device data backup.

I guess I should hold off on downloading WorldMate now, huh?
    (I am, of course, mostly kidding. I should stay on topic.)

05-09-10 06:24 PM
    I googled the text of your error message and found a lot of programming discussion about the bugs that could cause it. None of that discussion is any help to an end-user. I did find one suggestion that the problem might be caused (in some cases) by a too-long call log. That at least is something you can check. In Messages, press Menu and select View Folder, then Phone Call Logs. You might try deleting older log entries and see if that helps.
    05-09-10 07:07 PM
    Did that. All I saw was "missed calls" folder, so I cleared it. Rebooted, and got Error 52 again. Looks like it's to be a reinstall for me. Or rather, I'm going to try to upgrade to 5.0.0.592 unless there is some compelling reason not to.

EDIT: I turned off the device password, then plugged the BB into my PC. I cleared MMS messages and Visual Voice Mail (VVM) messages using Desktop Manager. Disconnected. At some point I also activated the default Precision Zen theme, even though I've gotten the error no matter what 3rd party theme I've used. I powered down, pulled out the battery, and removed the SD card. When I put the battery back in, I *did not* get the error message. I double checked by doing an alt-shift-delete and didn't get the error message that time either. So now I don't know if it fixed itself somehow or if I should just do the upgrade anyway. If I do that, I'm going to lose a lot of saved data from GMaps and my other GPS app, BlackStar, because their data don't carry over like everything else does.
    Last edited by Moon_Juice; 05-10-10 at 02:27 AM. Reason: something happened...or rather, didn't happen
    05-10-10 12:45 AM
    Oh this is charming. Didn't get the error for a couple of reboots, then did another power-down and batt pull, and it came back. Reinstalling OS now.
    05-10-10 03:22 AM
    I did everything "right" and reloaded OS 5.0.0.411

Didn't delete BBM beforehand, if that had anything to do with the problem. Don't know. (According to apploader, it had to delete my updated BBM .66, then reinstalled the version that came with this OS, but then apparently re-reinstalled BBM .66 from the back-up file. My installed version is .66 .)

Used loader.exe and selected advanced>erase everything (checked both boxes).

This did not fix the problem. As soon as the device came online, I was prompted for a reboot. So I clicked "reboot now," and the device went dark. The red light came on for a while, then went out. Screen stayed dark. Red light continued to cycle as described. Slowly.

Did a battery pull.

On reboot, was presented immediately with the following:

I'm going to delete BBM and try this again.

EDIT: Deleted BBM, rebooted, reinstalled BBM from here. Rebooted. Same problem.
    Last edited by Moon_Juice; 05-10-10 at 06:35 AM. Reason: I'm going to seriously hurt this thing.
    05-10-10 05:15 AM
    I too have this error with OS 5.0. However, it doesn't seem to affect any functional aspect of the phone. I've been dealing with this for more than a month. I just hit ok and go on my way.

Have you seen any functional effect?
    05-10-10 10:06 PM
    I too have this error with OS 5.0. However, it doesn't seem to affect any functional aspect of the phone. I've been dealing with this for more than a month. I just hit ok and go on my way.

Have you seen any functional effect?
    Well, no. That's the whole thing. I haven't actually encountered any problems other than the error message itself, at least not yet. It's just that this isn't supposed to happen, and I don't trust it. I'd like to put an end to it if possible.
    05-10-10 10:53 PM
    Well, there's good news and bad news.

05-11-10 06:47 AM
    The exception error came up pretty much immediately after loader.exe finished its work. I did an alt-shift-delete and didn't see the error when the device rebooted, and then I did a battery pull and didn't see it either. But still.

On the bright side, this OS includes BBM .66, which is what I'd been meaning to go download. Except there is no longer a delete option in the applications menu, as BBM has been moved to "core."
    05-11-10 06:48 AM
    This is 1 of the reasons I like VZW. If you have ANY kind of problem that can't be fixed by doing a device wipe, they overnight you a new phone. I've received 2 new phones that way. And, my wife has 1 replacement.

05-11-10 08:23 AM
    I don't think they could overnight me a new 8900; it's discontinued
    05-11-10 09:41 AM
    I don't think they could overnight me a new 8900; it's discontinued
    They would replace it with a better phone, then. That's how I got my Tour for free. I had 2 Curves that had the same problem-randomly powering down. After the 2nd 1 started doing the same thing, they gave me a free early upgrade to the Tour . Needless to say, I said, "Thank you, very much"!

05-11-10 09:45 AM
    They would replace it with a better phone, then. That's how I got my Tour for free. I had 2 Curves that had the same problem-randomly powering down. After the 2nd 1 started doing the same thing, they gave me a free early upgrade to the Tour . Needless to say, I said, "Thank you, very much"!

T-Mo has always been good to me with this sort of thing. I call em up and say "my battery tends to die" they send me a new battery. I throw my phone off a bridge, they mail me a new one, as long as I send back the corpse of the old one.

But this, this is a matter of principle. This is some Jack London ish. Man versus BlackBerry.
    05-11-10 10:08 AM
    T-Mo has always been good to me with this sort of thing. I call em up and say "my battery tends to die" they send me a new battery. I throw my phone off a bridge, they mail me a new one, as long as I send back the corpse of the old one.

But this, this is a matter of principle. This is some Jack London ish. Man versus BlackBerry.
    I wouldn't have the time for this type of long, drawn out battle. I'd have to immediately admit defeat and call VZW to send me a new phone, fast!

05-11-10 10:38 AM
    Do you still have the Media Card in the device? Sounds like the card is corrupted, this can cause errors, rendom reboots, ect...
    05-11-10 10:45 AM
    Do you still have the Media Card in the device? Sounds like the card is corrupted, this can cause errors, rendom reboots, ect...
    You may be right. I never made the connection before; but now that you mention it, the media card I had in both of my Curves fried 1 day. The phone was completely locked up after doing a reboot with the card in. When I took the card out, the phone rebooted fine. VZW sent me my Tour just a few days after that.

05-11-10 10:50 AM
    The latest error incidence, shown in the screen shots, occurred without a media card in the device. It happened that way right before I reloaded .411 as well.
    05-11-10 06:20 PM
    I googled the text of your error message and found a lot of programming discussion about the bugs that could cause it. None of that discussion is any help to an end-user. I did find one suggestion that the problem might be caused (in some cases) by a too-long call log. That at least is something you can check. In Messages, press Menu and select View Folder, then Phone Call Logs. You might try deleting older log entries and see if that helps.
    According to threads here and here, deleting call history appears to have some connection to this problem, but I couldn't tell if it resolved the issue for the OP's.
    05-11-10 06:23 PM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD