Hi all,

I know there are a million threads out there like this but I have tried them all and am still coming up short. I recently bought a Curve 8330 off of ebay and it has an I.T. policy on it. I read the thread on how to get it off but I'm stuck at getting the desktop manager to recognize my device. I for some reason can't enable mass media storage--it has a little red lock next to it--and I tried the solution found here: htt p://forums.pinstack.com/f59/mass_storage_issues_heres_the_fix-96938/index50.ht ml. I also went to Devices & Printers and tried to troubleshoot the device after downloading the drivers from the Blackberry website and still no luck! I am getting really frazzled and don't want to send the phone back so I was hoping someone could possibly help me. Is there any way my service provider (Verizon) can remotely remove this I.T. policy for me? Is there any other way to get it off, or is there another solution to the desktop manager not recognizing my device? Thanks in advance.
    01-01-11 12:31 AM
    Download the latest OS to your PC. Use BBSAK to wipe your OS then reload your OS & theoretically the IT policy should no longer be on it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-11 08:54 PM
    That seems like it could work except since desktop manager isn't recognizing my device BBSAK won't work. Any ideas? Thanks for the reply.
    01-02-11 11:23 PM
    I have a couple of old 8700s that were retired from a large company when they upgraded their BBs.

I use them for their MemoPads. (One has 217 Memos for part nos, work orders, crew and daily activities).

When they started getting stuck in backup and restore, I did some reading here about putting in new OSs.

But they had those pesky IT policies, too.

I've read a lot of posts on it, but since I'm the farthest thing from a tech-head, many of those posts went right over my head.

I had also read a bit about BBSAK. I went to the download site, and saw that they suggested a $5 donation, it didn't seem like much of a gamble to me. So I got it.

I took one of the 8700s and wiped it first with the security wipe in the phone Just to see how that works. It took 15 minutes or so.

Then I hooked it up to BBSAK, and hit Factory Restore. It took a nano second, and it turned out the same, except the IT policy was gone. It did it so fast, I just laughed so hard. After all the research and frettin'.

I didn't stop there. I wanted to see the '507' screen that I read about here.

So I hit 'wipe', and a few minutes later, that's what I had. The 507 white screen. That means its totally wiped, and there's nothing going on upstairs in BerryLand.

I had previously downloaded the new (4.5) OS from AT&T, its former carrier. it came with the Installshield Wizard, which installs it on your PC.

When you download it, click SAVE not Run, so if you mess it up like I did, you still have it. I had to go get another one.

Opened the Desk Manager (DM 5) apploader, it found the new OS, and put it right in.

So, now I have upgraded both 8700 OSs, and have no IT policies. It took less than a couple of hours, and cost me $5.

If I were you, I'd 'gamble' the $5 on BBSAK before you spend any more time researching.

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of brilliant folks on this forum, and their well detailed posts are worthy of an MIT grad. I just couldn't wrap my brain around it.

BBSAK was my last ditch effort. Maybe it was pure serendipity, maybe I just got lucky. But it worked. Its all FM to me (friggin magic)!!

And BTW, when the apploader on DM 5 was stuffing it all in there, it didn't recognize the PIN number, either. It didn't matter, it still put it in.

The 507 screen stays on
    for a while until it starts loading the apps, so just let it go.

Also, DM 6 won't transfer pictures to an 8700. It says its unavailable.

DM 5 came with Roxio, very user friendly, sent several pics to it in a just a few minutes

Now, thanks to DM 5/Roxio, I have nice pics for the screen on the old work Berry, which also can be sent between the 2 'dead' 8700s via bluetooth. Now that's eerie.

In my view, If you got your phone before DM 6 came out, find the disk that came with it, and put it in (after you pull DM 6 out). You'll get a lot more done, without all the little DM 6 'fits'.

Hope this helps. Ed

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-11 05:32 AM
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately BBSAK is not recognizing my device, either. I'm trying to get mass media enabled but the I.T. policy is not allowing me to. I also tried the fix I linked to in the first post, but for some reason that doesn't reboot the phone like it's supposed to so that isn't working either. As soon as desktop manager can recognize my device, I can use BBSAK for the factory reset like you said but until then I'm still stuck.
    01-03-11 02:24 PM
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately BBSAK is not recognizing my device, either. I'm trying to get mass media enabled but the I.T. policy is not allowing me to. I also tried the fix I linked to in the first post, but for some reason that doesn't reboot the phone like it's supposed to so that isn't working either. As soon as desktop manager can recognize my device, I can use BBSAK for the factory reset like you said but until then I'm still stuck.
    I have found that even if BBSAK says it won't connect, when you tell it to wipe OS, it does it!? Give it a try. Manually type in your PIN number if you have to.
    01-03-11 03:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD