I read the "How To" section on loading apps from my PC, but when I open the Application Loader Wizard I get the screen I have attached saying "The BlackBerry Desktop Software does not have BlackBerry Device Software for the device that you have connected to the computer. Contact your wireless service provider or system administrator." Can anyone direct me on this?
    09-28-09 09:21 PM
    That message means you need to download the BlackBerry OS to your PC and install it as an application. The download is an exe file. You can get it from your carrier, here: BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites. Download it to your PC desktop and double-click it. That will install it as an app on your PC. The Desktop Manager App Loader will be able to find it then.
    09-28-09 09:35 PM
    Okay, now to my next issue...I am using an unlocked 8220 on my AT&T service. If I go to the AT&T section there is no such phone listed so I can't download anything and if I go the the T-mobile site they require your T-mobile phone number of which I don't have so I can't get anything from there. Thoughts?
    09-28-09 09:51 PM
    I don't know about T-mobile, but some carriers don't actually do anything with the number. If you've ever had a T-mobile number, try it. If you haven't, then try your AT&T number.
    09-28-09 09:57 PM
    Sorry that doesn't work with T-mobile. Doesn't recognize the number. Any other thoughts?
    09-28-09 10:04 PM
    What confuses me is that the Desktop Manager works otherwise because I have already done a sync and backup with it.
    09-28-09 10:07 PM
    Desktop Manager and the BlackBerry OS are two completely separate, independent applications that you install separately. The OS doesn't ship on the CD with your device; a version of Desktop Manager does. I'm not that familiar with the 8220. Is it available from any other carrier beside T-mobile? If so, try another carrier.
    09-28-09 10:20 PM
    Sorry Jeff but that didn't work either. I downloaded the os .exe and ran it, I even rebooted but when I open the desktop manager I keep getting the same window. If I try to add an app anyway I get this error (see attached)
    09-28-09 11:46 PM
    So you found an 8220 OS that you could download? If it's not a T-Mobile OS, you will have to delete the vendor.xml file that's on your PC. Use the search function to find and delete all copies of it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-09 05:18 AM
    Well, Jeff I found the vendor xml and deleted it. I rebooted my computer opened Desktop Manager and although it did a few new things I still get the same message when I try to open the app loader. I also now get this message (see attached) if this is of any help.
    09-29-09 12:11 PM
    I'm sorry, I can't view your attachment on wap. I'll check it later today. What new things happened when you opened DM?

09-29-09 03:40 PM
    It did a device application version check and found:

The system applications that are currently installed on the device are newer than those available with this version of the BlackBerry Desktop Software.
    Then it gives you two choices either to leave things the way they are or replace the devices applications with the older version provided by the desktop software.

I did not change anything. So I am thinking there is a conflict because of the difference but having just downloaded this software this morning I'm not sure why it is an older version or how to get a newer version.
    09-29-09 03:53 PM
    If you look in Options / About, you can find your OS version. It'll be a 4 place number, like The OS file you downloaded will also include that number. If you look in Windows Control Panel, Add Remove Programs, you can see what OS version is installed on your PC. What are the two versions?

09-29-09 03:59 PM
    The phone has: EDGE Wi-Fi Platform

my PC has:
    09-29-09 04:11 PM
    According to the sticky at the top of the 8220 forum, the latest 8220 OS version is, released by T-mobile. I don't know if that's one release newer than your, or more. The Control Panel entry isn't giving you enough digits to see exactly what you downloaded, but it's older than what you've got on your phone. For you to be able to install apps, the version on your PC has to match what's on your phone. There's no way to download the OS from your phone to your PC. To get in sync with the latest version, you're going to have to get a T-mobile phone number. You could use a friend's. There's nothing illegal or unethical about it. You just need a number they will recognize.
    09-29-09 04:24 PM
    Okay Jeff, thanks for all your help.
    09-29-09 04:28 PM