I had ONE thing wrong. The AP name is WAP.CINGULAR. In my haste, I put WAP.CINGULAR.COM, which is wrong, of course.

Forget TetherBerry or Shark-=something or other! BlackBerry is getting better and better and better............

Last edited by Crunch; 10-27-09 at 08:24 PM.
    10-27-09 08:22 PM
    do you have to pay for this option from your carrier for it to work ?
    10-27-09 08:23 PM
    I'm going to try this out. It would definitely be interesting to find out if it works since Sprint cut their customers off a few weeks ago.
    10-27-09 08:30 PM
    yes, please post if this works with sprint
    10-27-09 10:32 PM
    After downloading the new DM I conected my deviece and it told me that my carrier does not support the tethering portion of 5.0.1. Now it doesnt even show up when I open DM. Just an FYI.
    10-27-09 10:58 PM
    do you have to pay for this option from your carrier for it to work ?
    On AT&T it costs $15/month for the tethering option but as long as you keep the amount of data low, they won't suspect that you're tethering and charge you extra. Not recommended as it's technically considered theft of services and could have a higher price than the extra monthly charges.
    10-27-09 11:02 PM
    No, there is NO additional charge for tethering with AT&T. The carrier can also not turn off the ability to tether, unless they take down your entire data plan.

Don't tell AT&T (or whichever carrier you're using) anything, and tether away. You can even check "Keep IP Modem Connection alive when closing Desktop Manager". So this is the most ideal way to tether, out of all devices that I have tethered to a laptop.

Do NOT use the AT&T Connection Manager by the way. You cannot use the "WAP.cingular" APN, and instead the application forces the APN "ISP.cingular". That is used to tether officially, and a dead giveaway.

At the same time, do NOT worry about tethering too much or for too long, or too much for too long ...It is extremely hard to get to 5GB/month. Even if you do 10GB/mo. or more for several consective months, do NOT worry.

I have yet to hear *ONE*, one, just 1 person to post that they received a call or a letter from the AT&T Police Department. haha...

Now I really can't wait for the Bold 2 which will support HSPA 7.2Mbps.

Enjoy!
    10-28-09 12:30 AM
    I downloaded the update from the site, 5.01.18 and it doesn't have this feature. I'm on att as well. Where to get? Thanks.
    10-29-09 03:41 PM
    After downloading the new DM I conected my deviece and it told me that my carrier does not support the tethering portion of 5.0.1. Now it doesnt even show up when I open DM. Just an FYI.
    I'm on Verizon and mine disappeared also after the first opening of Download Manager. I don't understand why Verizon locks everything out. They should keep their customers happy.
    10-29-09 03:48 PM
    No, there is NO additional charge for tethering with AT&T. The carrier can also not turn off the ability to tether, unless they take down your entire data plan.

Don't tell AT&T (or whichever carrier you're using) anything, and tether away. You can even check "Keep IP Modem Connection alive when closing Desktop Manager". So this is the most ideal way to tether, out of all devices that I have tethered to a laptop.

Do NOT use the AT&T Connection Manager by the way. You cannot use the "WAP.cingular" APN, and instead the application forces the APN "ISP.cingular". That is used to tether officially, and a dead giveaway.

At the same time, do NOT worry about tethering too much or for too long, or too much for too long ...It is extremely hard to get to 5GB/month. Even if you do 10GB/mo. or more for several consective months, do NOT worry.

I have yet to hear *ONE*, one, just 1 person to post that they received a call or a letter from the AT&T Police Department. haha...

Now I really can't wait for the Bold 2 which will support HSPA 7.2Mbps.

Enjoy!
    Crunch, a carrier certainly can block you from tethering without removing your data plan...just ask all of us Sprint users that were tethering just fine using SprintView or setting up a DUN...was blocked in Sprint's servers, they found a way per the COMPANY, and we are now unable to tether for "free" using our data plans any longer. I purchased Tetherberry when it was 50% off and works terrific.

Any Sprint users been successful using DM 5.0.1? I don't even get the option on mine. And now that I think about it, I believe AT&T is the one of few if not the only carrier offering tethering nor having been able to block their customers as Verizon and Sprint have. Enjoy it while it lasts!
    10-30-09 01:47 PM
    I'm on Verizon and mine disappeared also after the first opening of Download Manager. I don't understand why Verizon locks everything out. They should keep their customers happy.
    Yeap same here once checked for updates after hooking phone up that option was no longer ther on vzw too

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-09 03:44 PM
    Ok, I have Att. Hadn't looked at DM 5.0.1 since updating. So opened it up and the IP option disappeared as soon as I hooked up my phone.
    10-30-09 10:30 PM
    I had no problem connecting either... here is a tip, if you have a large microsd card then put a copy of Desktop Manager on it. So if you ever have to work at a computer that doesn't have DM you can just connect your phone via usb and use the mass storage option to move the and instll DM.
    10-31-09 12:33 PM
    Here's the fix - (for my storm).... When I loaded DM 5.0.1, my tetherberry worked once then when I tried to use it again all I got was the screen with the Logo - it wouldn't connect. I e-mailed tetherberry support - they replied immediately.
    Uninstall the tetherberry app. [Option - Applications - Highlight tetherberry app. then hit delete - or hit menu then delete]. Then re-install using this link..(I'm new at posting on crackberry so it won't let me add links yet so I'll break it up)
    put "http:" then the following "//tetherberry.com/downloads/test2/tetherberry.jad"
    When down loaded start the tetherberry on the phone - it should ask for connection type - pick default - then it should request to download a setup file -go ahead and download it. If these two actions don't come up - then hit your menu key and choose them from there. Once the download file is done - then exit the app - and restart it. Not only does it work - it works faster....I know this linked worked for the storm - if it doesn't work for you Curve - send Tetherberry support and e-mail, they were quick and friendly with the response.
    11-02-09 08:44 PM
    T-Mobile could'nt care less if you tether or use your BB as a modem with your data plan like I do . but have a look at my post and tell me what you think

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/tet...x-well-352934/
    11-02-09 08:59 PM
    @redhdgirl: It's not the carrier that makes the IP Modem option disappear. You are certainly correct in that AT&T could, and maybe even does block any DUN connection, or even Tetherberry. The APN for tethering, and data cards is isp.cingular, vs. what we use for every other cellphone: wap.cingular.

There is no difference between the two as far as speed, reliability, etc. Only the price is double, and caps it at 5GB. I have never gone upwards of 5 gigs, but I hear it can be done lol...Came close one month using SlingPlayer a lot.
    11-14-09 03:55 AM
    Crunch, a carrier certainly can block you from tethering without removing your data plan...just ask all of us Sprint users that were tethering just fine using SprintView or setting up a DUN...was blocked in Sprint's servers, they found a way per the COMPANY, and we are now unable to tether for "free" using our data plans any longer. I purchased Tetherberry when it was 50% off and works terrific.

Any Sprint users been successful using DM 5.0.1? I don't even get the option on mine. And now that I think about it, I believe AT&T is the one of few if not the only carrier offering tethering nor having been able to block their customers as Verizon and Sprint have. Enjoy it while it lasts!
    I'm on Sprint and can't seem to get this to work for me at all. I saw that Tetherberry was one of the "apps of the day" a few weeks ago and was 50% off. Kinda kicking myself now for not getting it.

Does it really work as easy as it sounds?
    11-17-09 06:21 PM
    Yeap same here once checked for updates after hooking phone up that option was no longer ther on vzw too

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    As I understand it, this feature disabled the ability to use VZ Access Manager, or something. They had a caution about that, and perhaps chose to remove the DM funtion as a stop-gap. VZW does know if you're tethering, and if you don't get the option, they'll ding you for $2/MB.
    11-17-09 08:17 PM
    I'm on Sprint and can't seem to get this to work for me at all. I saw that Tetherberry was one of the "apps of the day" a few weeks ago and was 50% off. Kinda kicking myself now for not getting it.

Does it really work as easy as it sounds?
    Yes it does work that easily. When using it just looks like you are surfing on your BB. I love it...came in handy on a long car trip so I could surf the laptop.
    11-18-09 07:34 AM
    I used this feature but I only get limited connectivity... can anyone help me?
    02-21-10 10:58 PM
    are there versions of desktop manager that include the ip connect "tether" function regardless of what carrier your phone actually is? or, does desktop manager read your phone and then remove/leave the option based on your VID?
    03-11-10 04:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD