Every time I connect my Tour to Desktop Manager I am prompted to update software on my BB. It takes time to check for updates and then prompts me to install them. I don't need a language pack or w/e it is that it's trying to update, and I'd rather manually check for updates so I don't waste 10 seconds of my life EVERY time I sync, so is there a way to disable this auto-check?
    07-16-09 08:52 PM
    Every time I connect my Tour to Desktop Manager I am prompted to update software on my BB. It takes time to check for updates and then prompts me to install them. I don't need a language pack or w/e it is that it's trying to update, and I'd rather manually check for updates so I don't waste 10 seconds of my life EVERY time I sync, so is there a way to disable this auto-check?
    The only time that I have seen a way to disable it is when you initially install DM on your computer one of the screens askes if you want to check for software updates and you want to uncheck that. I would suggest uninstalling and re installing and look for that and you will be golden.
    07-16-09 09:20 PM
    The only time that I have seen a way to disable it is when you initially install DM on your computer one of the screens askes if you want to check for software updates and you want to uncheck that. I would suggest uninstalling and re installing and look for that and you will be golden.
    That's what I was afraid of. That seems like a fairly poor design flaw, but at least I know how to "fix" it. Thanks!
    07-17-09 05:59 AM
    I just discovered a way to disable this. On the main screen of the 5.0 DM, there is a link in the lower right corner "Check for Updates". Click that link to open the "Blackberry Automatic Update" window.

The text in the top of that window explains:
    "If you do not want to install the update or be notified of the update again, clear the check box." Do that, then quit DM and re-launch. The update check appears to run (very quickly in the background), but then you aren't prompted for the update.

HTH.
    07-19-09 10:18 AM
    I just discovered a way to disable this. On the main screen of the 5.0 DM, there is a link in the lower right corner "Check for Updates". Click that link to open the "Blackberry Automatic Update" window.

The text in the top of that window explains:
    "If you do not want to install the update or be notified of the update again, clear the check box." Do that, then quit DM and re-launch. The update check appears to run (very quickly in the background), but then you aren't prompted for the update.

HTH.
    The thing is I think the auto update that you are referring to is for the DM software itself, not the BB software. Hence why it says daily but the BB checks for updates every time plugged in, not just daily.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by dwtechnology; 07-19-09 at 10:38 AM.
    07-19-09 10:27 AM
    Actually, no, every time I would launch the DM, it would run the updater, then come back and try to install the long list of 4.7 versions of the BB OS on the device. Since I changed the check box, I'm not getting that anymore. It WAS also asking for the update to the 5.0 DM (version I already have). That has stopped now as well.
    07-19-09 07:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD