for anyone that does this:

i have downloaded DM 4.6 to the removable drive (i think that is the proper name). however, it seems that when i plug this removeable drive into a computer (say at the library or at a friends house) i always have to INSTALL DM on to that computer and then i can do my backups.

why is this? why can i not run DM straight from the removable drive? am i doing something wrong?

any tips or insight would be great. i'm not that good with pcs. thanks!
    02-28-09 01:48 PM
    Installing DM adds registry entries and files to the host PC
    If the computer that you are trying to run on doesn't have these it will not work properly/at all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-09 02:05 PM
    Typically you can't run apps from USB drives. You can store apps on them, and install from them, but not execute from them. That's because USB drives are serial devices, and executing programs requires random access. That's probably a gross over-simplification, but I don't think it's wrong. I'm sure there are developers who will correct me if it is, and I'll learn something new.
    02-28-09 02:06 PM
    ah, ok. so i will have to install on each computer when i want to backup or restore then delete after....

thanks for the info. i thought i was doing something wrong!

over simple is good, Jeff, becaue i didn't get it at all! i thought the flash drive was excatly like the build in hard drive on the pc.

thanks guys!
    02-28-09 02:07 PM
    Think of it this way. The flash drive doesn't have an operating system on it so there's no where to install the program to.
    02-28-09 02:13 PM
    hmmm, ok. so what are all the files saved onto the removeable drive? do i even need them?

i suppose i don't really need to have DM saved to this drive then, just my backups. i would have to download the DM progam either way...right?
    02-28-09 02:15 PM
    there are portable apps which run from a flash drive but i dont think you can get dm
    02-28-09 02:16 PM
    Actually there are some pretty handy and cool portable apps, especially for the Sandisk U3 drives. Some great security and tool apps, browsers....
    03-01-09 05:08 PM
    hmmm, ok. so what are all the files saved onto the removeable drive? do i even need them?

i suppose i don't really need to have DM saved to this drive then, just my backups. i would have to download the DM progam either way...right?
    I sometimes copy a backup file to the BlackBerry's media card. It's not possible to restore from there, but that way you've always got it with you. Install DM on a PC, copy the backup from the Media Card to the PC using Mass Storage Mode, restore the Backup, and you're back in business.
    03-01-09 05:13 PM
    I sometimes copy a backup file to the BlackBerry's media card. It's not possible to restore from there, but that way you've always got it with you. Install DM on a PC, copy the backup from the Media Card to the PC using Mass Storage Mode, restore the Backup, and you're back in business.
    You know I've never thought of saving my backup file on my memory card. Had I, I probably would have thought it wasn't possible. But it's good to know and I'm going to do that. Thanks Jeff.
    03-01-09 05:23 PM
    Jeff, how much space would the backup take on the memory card? i have a 2 GB card mostly filled with music...

i may do this.

03-01-09 07:56 PM
    Jeff, how much space would the backup take on the memory card? i have a 2 GB card mostly filled with music...

i may do this.

I just checked my most recent backup and it's about 1.18 MB's. It's not that large a file since a backup is compressed and encrypted.
    03-01-09 08:05 PM
    Ok, cool. Thanks for checking!

03-01-09 08:28 PM
    Ok, cool. Thanks for checking!

Anytime Chrisy....
    03-01-09 08:30 PM
    My backup is 1MB. So that's pretty consistent with P.O.E.1983.
    03-01-09 08:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD