I recently acquired a Pearl 8100 for free, in which I was told was broken and was unable to receive a charge. Me, being the geek I am, took this as a challenge to figure out how to fix this problem. After some fooling around I was able to determine that one of the 5 prongs on the USB input on the side of the 8100 had been caught by the charger when inserted and pushed back into the socket.
    I understood after doing some searches of this problem that this is not a rare occurrence, so I began just trying to salvage the device; if anything just to say that I gave it a shot. I was actually able to poke with a small pin, and use some dental floss to grab the smashed prongs and nestle it back into place. To my excitement, doing this made the phone able to receive a charge again! After a inserting and removing the charger a few times, the prong that was smashed and put back in place suddenly detached and fell out. However, somehow I am still able to receive a charge.
    Now here is where the problem comes in. When I try to sync the 8100 to the Desktop Manager through USB, it will not be recognized by my computer at all. I am running Windows XP, with Desktop Manager v4.7. I assume this is a result of having only 4 of 5 prongs in which to receive a data transmission through, so I wanted to ask anyone knowledgeable on this type of situation to either confirm that this indeed is what is occurring, or maybe offer an alternate solution.

thanks in advance guys!
    Justin
    08-02-09 11:02 PM
    Four prongs should be enough. If you were able to have the PC recognize the device when the 5th was present, you simply need to delete the port connection, reboot the PC, and plug the Pearl in again. The PC will automatically detect it, and get you connected.
    08-03-09 04:21 AM
    I'm kind of new to all of this blackberry stuff, what do you mean by "delete the port connection"? How would I go about doing that? Also, I do not recall my computer ever recognizing a connection with the 8100 when it did have the 5th prong, however it would charge if it was plugged in.
    08-03-09 02:13 PM
    If it never connected to the PC, then there will be no port to delete. You must have more than one pin with a problem. You can by the connector, but it's tricky to solder.
    08-03-09 09:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD