I have tried to backup devise data by using Blackberry Desktop Manager (BDM) version 4.7. It starting processing the backup. but idid not complete it ending with a message UNKNOWN ERROR.

I checked the forums about this. One suggestion for the backup related problem was to clear the Browser Cashe. I have done it and got the same error note. I then contacted the BB technician at TMO. They suggested to unistall the BDM and install a new one. I did that and I still had the same Unknown Error message. The next technician asked me to go Advanced option and tried ceratin actions and they did not help. I then lost the connection with the technician at TMO. (By the way, I was very kind to the technicians. Therefore, there was no reason to accidentially lose the connection. Now, my next option is to ask for help here.

One more information: I have tried above on both XP (my desktop) and Vista (laptop). The same "Unknown Error" message. I wanted to backup the devise data in case I lose data in upgrading my OS from .114 to .199. I did not want to attemp the OS upgrade before solving this problem. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    04-03-09 05:03 PM
    Try Desktop Manager 4.6 instead of 4.7.
    04-03-09 05:13 PM
    Sorry that I forgot to mention it. I tried DM 4.6 too. It is my own phone, but using BES to receive mails from my company. Could that be a problem?
    04-03-09 05:22 PM
    Your work can put a IT Policy on your BB and enforce rules... you might want to check with them.

But use DM 4.6... 4.7 has known bugs.
    04-03-09 05:40 PM
    i had similar issue. not sure if this will work for you, but trying to manually back each data from device to computer will help you identify exactly what data causes problem.

here is what i did.

1. go to back up then advance option.
    2. then i highlight data item from device (on the right column)
    3. then click on arrow button to send data to computer side (left column).

do that each at a time and you should find what causes your issue. When you get error message, click clear to erase that from your device. you will need to reset your value or setting again depending on what is your issue.

in my case, they were browser cache and profile option.

good luck.
    Last edited by doxa sub750T; 04-03-09 at 06:26 PM.
    04-03-09 06:10 PM
    clear your browser cache..
    04-03-09 06:14 PM
    I have this prob everytime I back up. Go to ur browser, goto options, clear history, cache and pushed
    Content. You can leave the cookies intatc. After that, it should have no errors. Thisis a kniwn problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-03-09 06:54 PM
    i had similar issue. not sure if this will work for you, but trying to manually back each data from device to computer will help you identify exactly what data causes problem.

here is what i did.

1. go to back up then advance option.
    2. then i highlight data item from device (on the right column)
    3. then click on arrow button to send data to computer side (left column).

do that each at a time and you should find what causes your issue. When you get error message, click clear to erase that from your device. you will need to reset your value or setting again depending on what is your issue.

in my case, they were browser cache and profile option.

good luck.

Thanks all for the help. After my last note, I called TMO technician who, this time, connected me to BB tech who, after checking the Options>Adv Options>Service Book on my devise, stated that some of those listed like /DESKTOP [SYNC] in the Service Book indicate that I should delete some of these /DESKTOP [XXXX] in the Service Book to be able to back up. These /DESKTOP are there because I have BES to get my work/GroupWise mails. He indicated some other things that did not make sense to me or I did not know enough to understand them. As a result, I decided to ask IT people at my work on Monday. Deleting things always scare me.

Meanwhile, after reading the above note, I have used Advanced Back up option as described above. On the left, devise databases are listed; some are in black colors with number of records and some others are grayed out (lighter colors). I have selected those in black colors on the right and sent them one by one to left (computer side). At the ens, I was able to save them as backup file Backup-(2009-04-03).ipd in a folder.

Now, I am more confused. I am not sure if that backup is a legitimate backup. If so, can the BB technician not know this? I hope the IT people (BES Administrator) at our work is aware of these. I want to complete this to upgrade my OS to .199 from .114.

By the way, I had cleared Browser Cashe and content before doing the backup operation.
    04-03-09 09:39 PM
    I had the same problem (4.7) - clearing the browser cache fixed it for me too...
    04-29-09 07:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD