I haven't upgraded to .975 yet - was about to but wondered if better to do OTA or via the desktop manager?
    10-18-10 10:54 AM
    I haven't upgraded to .975 yet - was about to but wondered if better to do OTA or via the desktop manager?
    Some will say OTA, others will say use your PC. And....there are those who will tell you to read the threads that are already talking about this.
    10-18-10 11:00 AM
    I always use the desktop. Wipe with BBSAK and clean up the OS with shrink-a-os. The safest, smoothest way to install an OS while maximizing device memory.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    10-18-10 12:13 PM
    I never use OTA. I always use my computer. It's faster and the safest way to upgrade. I prefer to download the OS then use BBHybrids to shrink-a-os, then load thru app loader. It's quick and easy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-10 02:04 PM
    I've never wiped it - almost afraid to try it myself.
    10-18-10 03:45 PM
    Never load an OS upgrade OTA, always backup everything first!
    10-18-10 04:00 PM
    When you upgrade via desktop you notice the message that says do not disconnect until done otherwise you may brick your phone, now with that in mind why would anyone decide to do OTA when there are fluctuations and disconnects to worry about, Wait till you get home and do it the right way is mt advise.
    10-18-10 05:21 PM
    I used OTA to upgrade many times over wifi with no problems. Its a lot easier and all other os like android use ota as the only method which puts rim behind the times.

10-18-10 05:39 PM
    I used OTA to upgrade many times over wifi with no problems. Its a lot easier and all other os like android use ota as the only method which puts rim behind the times.

Behind the times? Sorry, having options is a good thing. Doing an upgrade from my desktop is not rocket science, so being not as easy as OTA is not a completely true statement.
    Last edited by genomos; 10-18-10 at 06:04 PM.
    10-18-10 06:02 PM
    I don't follow. How does this put them behind the times? I'm not exactly one of those people who's a die hard anti-OTA updater, but how do you get from Android using OTA only to RIM offering both OTA and desktop manager/app loader being behind the times?

A bunch of people say things like this, and I'm not sure I've run into a single one yet that can back it up with anything. So, here's a chance. How does offering OTA and an offline method make them behind the times?
    10-18-10 06:10 PM
    Because to many people have problems using the offline method. So even offering it is behind the times. Why should you have to connect your bb to a wire to upgrade the os.

10-18-10 06:20 PM
    Because to many people have problems using the offline method. So even offering it is behind the times. Why should you have to connect your bb to a wire to upgrade the os.

And if there's no wire as you say, what happens if something were to go wrong during an OTA upgrade? And with an OTA upgrade, where's the options? I like being able to remove what I don't need from my OS. How's that done without connecting to a computer?
    10-18-10 06:36 PM
    Wow well if options and maximizing memory is behind the times maybe its time to trade your base model 8530 in on an Android and head on over to that forum.

The wire is the safest bet and gives you the most options, I would recommend that. OTA is for r-*****.
    10-18-10 07:10 PM
    I just upgraded today OTA and it worked flawlessly.. Just took a long time. But so far its running great. Haven't noticed many changes though. I'm not sure what the new OS includes. But for your information... I installed OTA with no problems. :P
    10-18-10 10:01 PM
    >>I just upgraded today OTA and it worked flawlessly.. Just took a long time. But so far its running great. Haven't noticed many changes though. I'm not sure what the new OS includes. But for your information... I installed OTA with no problems. :P<<

Ditto. I've never had a problem with an OTA. Mine took about an hour when it advised it could take up to two.
    10-18-10 10:33 PM
    I just upgraded today OTA and it worked flawlessly.. Just took a long time. But so far its running great. Haven't noticed many changes though. I'm not sure what the new OS includes. But for your information... I installed OTA with no problems. :P
    And my roommate also does updates OTA, has never done it any other way. Never had an issue resulting from it either.

Ditto. I've never had a problem with an OTA. Mine took about an hour when it advised it could take up to two.
    That's one reason I've never gone OTA, too damn long. On my desktop I can wipe, load, restore, and be up and running in less than half an hour. Usually about 20 minutes.
    10-18-10 11:45 PM
    The PC is the best way to update a blackberry. Loader.exe will: Backup, wipe, reload, restore everything.

Can't do it on the mac tho unless you using a VM (virtual machine)

10-19-10 01:15 AM
    The PC is the best way to update a blackberry. Loader.exe will: Backup, wipe, reload, restore everything.

Can't do it on the mac tho unless you using a VM (virtual machine)

Is Loader.exe from bbsak or is it it's own program?
    10-19-10 08:27 AM
    Fortunately, RIM gives us two choices to update our device. The choice is a personal one and probably reflects one's comfort level with using their PC. I know that I would never update my OS without backing up my data first, and you can't do that OTA.

10-19-10 08:51 AM
    Really makes me laugh whenever I read such threads, and see people "swearing" about how bad one method is, and how those that use a particular method must be *******!

I have used both methods flawlessly, and so can testify that both methods work as they are supposed to. I have also read of people getting into problems when using BOTH methods, which leads me to believe they must have done something wrong.

Truth is, when we mess up with an upgrade (or anything else), its always easier to blame the "method" rather than take responsibility for our error.

10-19-10 09:22 AM
    And my roommate also does updates OTA, has never done it any other way. Never had an issue resulting from it either.

That's one reason I've never gone OTA, too damn long. On my desktop I can wipe, load, restore, and be up and running in less than half an hour. Usually about 20 minutes.
    I ususally update on my desktop, but for some reason my desktop manager wouldnt let me. It said that there was an update available and when I tried to update, it would keep giving me an error and I didn't have the time to search crackberry for the OS. So OTA was my only choice at the moment.
    10-19-10 09:37 AM
    Can somebody walk us through the desktop method with bbsak or loader.exe that is mentioned above - ?
    10-19-10 09:54 AM
    So if I connect to WiFi and then do the OTA update that was pushed to my device...is the updating done via Wifi...i.e. I have a not great 3g signal in my home...but wifi is fine..so in my case is this safer than just doing over 3g? thanks
    10-19-10 11:53 AM
    The only excuse I can see for using OTA is not owning a pc or not being comfortable updating with it. If you knew how to do both then the wire method is better is every aspect.

My wifes Droid updates OTA and even backs everything up. I guess RIM is a bit behind the times but I like hooking my phone to my laptop.

10-19-10 12:16 PM
    Well, by your argument, why should I have to wipe my bum after using the toilet? Why should I have to drive my own car? Why should I have to do anything but sit around like a lazy bum all day?

Unless something changes rather dramatically, wireless connections are just never as stable and reliable as wired. That's just a fact of life. So I still don't see how offering an option that is proven and reliable, makes RIM behind the times. If you want to do OTA, you can do OTA. If you want to do it the "old fashioned" way, that's an option too. But we established that earlier. Still waiting on where the behind the times part comes in, given OTA is an option for BB same as Android. It's just not the ONLY option.
    10-19-10 12:23 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD