Hey all,

I am updating my new Sprint Blackberry Tour to v4.7.1.110 - and noticed that the desktop version of the update is about 102mb, and the OTA (that I am currently doing from my phone) is only 20mb.... Is there really that much 'fluff' in the desktop version?

Any disadvantages to the OTA update? (i noticed that the DOD root option for the web, and a few other, seemingly un-important, options were turned off by default....

Just wondering,

Thanks,

Matt!

P.S. I love this new device - after 3 years of WM devices! (I just wish that the aol accounts setup in the device could let you change the frequency at with they are 'pushed')
    11-03-09 07:31 PM
    Not sure because I've never updated an OS using ota but would guess that they are the same. Not sure why the file size would be so different.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-03-09 08:20 PM
    i think the file size is so different because its ONLY updating the needed files...its not downloading the WHOLE thing over again
    11-03-09 08:50 PM
    I think Meldiane is right. I believe the OTA install only will update affected files. And, depending on the port used for the update, the download size could be limited. But I don't know for sure.
    11-03-09 09:23 PM
    I tend to avoid OTA downloads. I will even avoid using my laptop via router because there is too much margin for error. The slightest interference or hiccup and you've got a corrupted file. I prefer 'hard line' downloads to minimize the possibility of downloading errors.
    11-03-09 10:03 PM
    I agree with RegE. In addition, what I don't understand is that for the installation of some other applications, you need the OS installed on your computer so that Desktop Manager can install them. So eventually, I suspect, you would need the "hard copy" of the OS anyway.
    11-03-09 11:25 PM
    Actually, having done an OTA install, it runs just like the Desktop install, all the files get backed up just as if you were tethered. If there is a signal anomaly, it pauses, and continues just as if you were loading any file.

My update runs just fine, and I was pleased with how well it worked.

I readded my Password Keeper, and made the mistake of checking BBM. Oops. Ended up with 5 and 4.5 BBMs with no icon. Deleted the 4.5, reloaded 5, which was blank, a couple of clicks for remote back up, my contacts and group reconstructed, and I was back on line in just a few minutes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BergerKing; 11-04-09 at 01:03 AM.
    11-04-09 12:58 AM
    i think the file size is so different because its ONLY updating the needed files...its not downloading the WHOLE thing over again

Yep - that's what I figured as well....

Thanks....
    11-05-09 07:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD