Hey guys...

I have had a storm for over a month now, and recently I decided to install desktop manager 4.7 (or whatever the latest is)... The problem is that ever since I installed it, my NEW computer is running extremely slow, which is strange given that it was lightning fast out of the box and the first program I installed was DM. And I uninstalled it immediately, but my comp is still running slow. I really wish I hadn't installed it in the first place. Does anybody else have this problem too? I searched the forum but couldn't get a definitive answer. Thanks.
    02-01-09 10:41 PM
    Nobody has any ideas about this? Wow.....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-09 04:03 PM
    Never heard of this issue before. The only sluggishness I've ever heard of is in the Roxio Media Manager, but that's only running that part of it.
    02-10-09 04:05 PM
    what are the specs on the system. if it has low memory then it could be because DM starts when the system does. If it has plenty of memory then I would try a system restore back to before DM was installed.
    02-10-09 04:08 PM
    I never had a problem with my actual computer running slow because of DM. It could be a simple virus you got from internet even though your computer is new. really don't think it is DM in that I have never heard of this being a problem with all the other people on this site using it. I would delete it if you think it is the reason and like said before do a system restore to the last time you were running fast. new computers don't come with ad-aware, AVG etc., they usually run a resource hog virus scan system that doesn't work that should be deleted in the first place so it might of missed something in your first few days of surfing the net.

ETA: if you already deleted it and it is still running slow, then it's another problem that isn't related to DM.
    Last edited by mjrjr31; 02-10-09 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Re-read first post
    02-10-09 04:15 PM
    I had a very similar problem right after installing DM on my computer. The problem I have is not that it runs slow once it has loaded up and is on, but it loads some programs or periphrials slower (my wireless adapter, my pop-up blocker, etc.). I too noticed this issue on the very first startup after installing DM.

As far as the computer's memory and such....2 gigs should be plenty. Especially since the problem for me is on startup, and not really a sluggish computer once it has completely loaded up.
    02-10-09 04:17 PM
    I never had a problem with my actual computer running slow because of DM. It could be a simple virus you got from internet even though your computer is new. really don't think it is DM in that I have never heard of this being a problem with all the other people on this site using it. I would delete it if you think it is the reason and like said before do a system restore to the last time you were running fast. new computers don't come with ad-aware, AVG etc., they usually run a resource hog virus scan system that doesn't work that should be deleted in the first place so it might of missed something in your first few days of surfing the net.
    Yea, I was thinking it could be some kind of bloatware that came preinstalled or something that was picked up. First thing I do with any laptop (build the desktops) I've had is turn it on to make sure it works, then wipe it clean.
    02-10-09 04:17 PM
    I had a very similar problem right after installing DM on my computer. The problem I have is not that it runs slow once it has loaded up and is on, but it loads some programs or periphrials slower (my wireless adapter, my pop-up blocker, etc.). I too noticed this issue on the very first startup after installing DM.

As far as the computer's memory and such....2 gigs should be plenty. Especially since the problem for me is on startup, and not really a sluggish computer once it has completely loaded up.
    Sounds like you have too much starting up with the system. You probably need to edit your startup items. Is it xp or vista? You can edit msconfig and that will help with the performance of the system starting up and the length of time the system will work without a restart.
    02-10-09 04:28 PM
    Sounds like you have too much starting up with the system. You probably need to edit your startup items. Is it xp or vista? You can edit msconfig and that will help with the performance of the system starting up and the length of time the system will work without a restart.
    You could be right, although I have gone into msconfig and unchecked programs from startup that I knew didn't need to run on startup.

I would like to agree with you, although I can't. My computer ran perfectly on startup (in windows and ready to browse the net roughly 30-45 seconds from pushing the power button). Now once its loaded windows I sit and wait for my network adapter icons to even show in the sytem tray for at least a minute, much less start getting an IP. I am running XP SP3 btw.

I could see a definate difference not with my computer's performance in general even when running DM, but the time it took to startup completely in windows the very first time I booted it up after installing DM.

I appreciate the input though. It's just a bummer to have a PC that is running perfectly and then after installing what seems to be a needed program to take advantage of your nice new phone (hehe) it starts to run differently.
    Last edited by s.a.f.; 02-10-09 at 04:55 PM.
    02-10-09 04:37 PM
    i would try to disable all startup items and non microsoft services in msconfig. There is a cuplrit that is causing the issue. You can use msconfig to see if the culprit in the non ms services/startup items that is causing it or if it is a microsoft service. And also realize that there are very few computers that have less than a 1 minute boot time all the time.

Hope the info helps you out
    02-10-09 04:47 PM
    If you installed media manager, check that. It may be a Roxio thing they add stuff to the startup
    02-10-09 04:50 PM
    i would try to disable all startup items and non microsoft services in msconfig. There is a cuplrit that is causing the issue. You can use msconfig to see if the culprit in the non ms services/startup items that is causing it or if it is a microsoft service. And also realize that there are very few computers that have less than a 1 minute boot time all the time.

Hope the info helps you out
    I will definately take a look at msconfig tonight and see what's going on in the startup menu. Maybe it is just coinsidence (yeah, I don't know how to spell that word lol!) that when I installed DM something else popped into the startup menu.

Thanks for the info.
    02-10-09 04:52 PM
    If you installed media manager, check that. It may be a Roxio thing they add stuff to the startup
    I bet you I did. I'll look into it.
    02-10-09 04:52 PM
    I will definately take a look at msconfig tonight and see what's going on in the startup menu. Maybe it is just coinsidence (yeah, I don't know how to spell that word lol!) that when I installed DM something else popped into the startup menu.

Thanks for the info.
    Have you come up with anything? I am experiencing the same thing. While my laptop runs normally once it has started up, it takes forever to start. 99% sure it started when I installed the Desktop Manager. I'd really like to know if there is a way to fix this. Thanks.
    03-01-09 11:40 AM
    I had similar pc problems, nothing major but my new laptop was booting much slower after installing DM. I read DM v4.6 without media is much more stable. I've also read there is some issue with 4.7 and Vista.

I did a system restore to a couple days before I installed 4.7, then downloaded Desktop Manager 4.6.0 B27 English - Without Media Manager. It’s much better and have had no performance issues. Give it a shot. Go here and search for 4.6.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22

Hope this helps!
    03-01-09 12:44 PM
    I had similar pc problems, nothing major but my new laptop was booting much slower after installing DM. I read DM v4.6 without media is much more stable. I've also read there is some issue with 4.7 and Vista.

I did a system restore to a couple days before I installed 4.7, then downloaded Desktop Manager 4.6.0 B27 English - Without Media Manager. It�s much better and have had no performance issues. Give it a shot. Go here and search for 4.6.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22

Hope this helps!
    Thanks, but is there anyway to remove the media manager feature from 4.7?
    03-01-09 01:15 PM

I just confirmed that the problem is between Vista and Roxio...not sure exactly where though. I just DL DM 4.7 without Media Manager and installed - works flawlessly.

Hope this helps.
    03-11-09 09:01 PM
    I just confirmed that the problem is between Vista and Roxio...not sure exactly where though. I just DL DM 4.7 without Media Manager and installed - works flawlessly.

Hope this helps.
    I am running Windows Media Center Edition not Vista, so it definitely isn't Vista specific.
    03-12-09 10:42 AM
    Thanks, but is there anyway to remove the media manager feature from 4.7?
    put your disk in and choose modify, then uncheck media manager. had the same problem and it was evident in the windows error log
    03-12-09 10:53 AM
    Also, if this is on Vista, I'll be you the software install probably triggered an index of the hard drive contents. Disable indexing in Vista, it's nothing but useless crap anyway. To disable it, go into Computer Management and then Services and set the Windows Search to Manual Startup and then Stop the service. It'll improve your overall Vista OS speed considerably and will not hinder your capabilities at all. Searching will still work just fine.
    03-12-09 11:01 AM
    put your disk in and choose modify, then uncheck media manager. had the same problem and it was evident in the windows error log
    There is no option to modify. I assume you meant the RIM disk that came with my phone, and not the Verizon disk with the drivers on it. In any case, neither disk brings up a "modify" option.
    03-12-09 11:04 AM
    You may not be able to uninstall just the Roxio part alone. Most likely, you'll need to download a version of Desktop Manager WITHOUT Media Manager in it. Go to blackberry.com and under software. Download DM4.7 without Media Manager and install that AFTER you uninstall what you have now. Make sure your BB is not connected to the PC when you uninstall and reinstall DM.
    03-12-09 11:08 AM
    You may not be able to uninstall just the Roxio part alone. Most likely, you'll need to download a version of Desktop Manager WITHOUT Media Manager in it. Go to blackberry.com and under software. Download DM4.7 without Media Manager and install that AFTER you uninstall what you have now. Make sure your BB is not connected to the PC when you uninstall and reinstall DM.
    Yeah, that's what the original advice was, thanks. Will I lose any functionality if I don't have the Media Manager? What exactly does it do?
    03-12-09 11:11 AM
    No, don't even worry about it. Forget it even existed.
    03-12-09 11:13 AM
    DM did not slow my laptop down, however, something changed. My screensaver no longer activates when the computer sits for awile. I have it set to activate after 10 minutes of no activity. Won't activate at all since I intalled DM. I'm running Vista.

Any ideas.

JPD217
    03-12-09 11:26 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD