I'm a newb at the blackberry and I'm trying to use the desktop manager. When I plug the phone into the computer, the mnager tells me that there isnt a device plugged in. Is there a driver I need or something I need to do with the phone.

If it helps, I got this unit free from a friend and I subsequently unlocked it and got it set up on T-Mobile (was locked to AT&T)

Thanks for the help!

One more thing that sounds like it may explain this: After the unit was activated at T-mobile, a message is displayed at the top of the screen: "Data connection refused". This message never goes away and I dont know anything about it.
    Last edited by PTeezy; 12-07-09 at 07:34 PM. Reason: more info
    12-07-09 07:30 PM
    If you plug the BlackBerry into a Windows XP PC before you install Desktop Manager, Win XP will install a generic driver that is not the one you need. Go to My Computer Properties. Look in USB devices. If you see an entry for BlackBerry, delete it. Then uninstall Desktop Manager and reinstall it before you plug the BlackBerry back into a USB port. That may solve the problem. If there are any Windows experts reading this, please feel free to correct my advice.
    12-07-09 08:49 PM
    Never did plug it in before the install. I had no cable for it.

The USB list has nothing for the blackberry. as far as the computer is concerned there is nothing plugged in. All I get is charging.

I dont have any of the things that would have come with the phone. I bought the cable and I DL'd the desktop manager from blackberry's site. Thats why I'm wondering if there is a driver I'm missing.
    12-07-09 09:31 PM
    I fixed the data refused message. The blackberry troubleshooting section is pretty in depth. I still cant get the desktop thing to work. I tried enabling and reconfiguring ports, uninstalled and reinstalled DM 5. The message is please verify you have your blackberry device connected before starting. I cant click on anything because of the window. cant click on options, help, or PIN (which shows none)

ah. I give up for tonight. I'll mess with it another time. I hate software and this is way too much headache for me right now.
    12-07-09 11:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD