This might be a well documented problem but I couldn't find the solution to it either on the internet or by contacting Rogers. I'm running the latest BB desktop manager version.

I am trying to sync my music between my Torch and the media sync option in BB desktop manager. (I can copy my songs using Explorer but want to use the Desktop manager instead.

When trying to to that, I get the error message stating that I either need mass storage turned on and a media card. In Options-Device-Storage, compression is enabled and the media card suppport is turned on. Is this right?

Is there something else I should be doing in order to have access to the music tab in the media sync menu?

Thanks in advance.

Francois
    12-22-10 07:31 PM
    when you plug it in try selecting "sync media" instead of "usb drive" or vice versa to see which one it needs to work.
    12-22-10 09:01 PM
    I have not had any issues but you need to select "sync media" when you connect the torch. On a side note I find using media player to be the fastesdt and easiest way to transfer music to the torch.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

12-22-10 09:08 PM
    when you plug it in try selecting "sync media" instead of "usb drive" or vice versa to see which one it needs to work.
    I tried both several times, nothing works. Still no acess to the Music tab.

12-22-10 09:50 PM
    I have not had any issues but you need to select "sync media" when you connect the torch. On a side note I find using media player to be the fastesdt and easiest way to transfer music to the torch.

But what if all my music is in iTunes? I am not using Windowa Media Player to manage my music.

12-22-10 09:53 PM
    That is so weird, one of the first things I did with my Torch is sync music in BB desktop manager. Is this your first BB you have used with desktop manager and if so, did that device sync music ok?
    12-22-10 09:57 PM
    Does not matter what you chose when you plug the Torch in, as LONG as it is either Sync Media, or Mass Storage. Do not chose Charge.

Do you have a micro SD card installed? Should of came with a Four Gig micro sd. Mine did, a friend of mine who ordered his from Rogers did.

Media Card support should be on.

When you plug in your BB, do not have DM open. Wait for your BB to connect to your computer. Select EITHER Sync Media or Mass Storage. DO NOT SELECT CHARGE.

They both really do the same thing O.o I've gotten no different results with chosing one or the other. Either one allowed me to move files, and stuff without issue (with and without dm)

When you finally see your folders (Your micro SD which is "Media Card" and your internal storage "Device") Load DM

You SHOULD see Sync Media ungrey.. I would like to go further, but I am now downloading DM for my laptop... it seems when I migrated to a 16 gig card, I forgot to drop the BB software to it. *smacks self*

Alright, just plugged it in, did my steps. I am able to sync media--not that I want to sync the Windows 7 music samples to my phone.
    Last edited by JohnMidnight; 12-23-10 at 03:38 AM.
    12-23-10 03:23 AM
    Very interesting.

John, I followed your steps. When I plug my BB (without loading DM first), I get 2 different prompt.

Selecting "USB Drive" gives me a (Vista) window where I can select lots of things (Copy with Roxio, etc). I selected Open folder with Windows Explorer, which gives me access to the BB and the media card folders. Si far so good.

If I then load DM, the Music tab still gives me the message I need to enable mass storage mode and have a media card. Not very good!

If instead I select "Media Sync" when I plug my BB, It gives me a prompt (with fewer options). If I choose to open the folder with Windows Explorer. It opens a white out screen (nothing appears) under My Computer\MTP.

Trying to load DM won't work unless I restart my computer.

Maybe it is a problem with Vista????
    12-23-10 10:35 AM
    Sounds more like DM isn't working right, I'd suggest reinstalling the DM
    https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...247A852FAD3647

See if that works. Vista shouldn't be a problem (Unless it didn't figure out what your phone is. But if that's the case, you'd of never gotten the folders to show)
    12-23-10 11:21 AM
    If you music is in iTunes and not Windows media player you need to switch the options around.
    Make sure your phone is plugged in then:
    Open DM > Device > Device Options > Media

Then select iTunes as your Music Source
    12-23-10 12:05 PM
    Thats right... -.-' skip what I said haha. (If WMP is never setup in the first place to manage the media library, I can see that to be a issue)
    Last edited by JohnMidnight; 12-23-10 at 12:47 PM.
    12-23-10 12:28 PM
    Thanks for your help. Tried a lot of things (seemed to be some old files from DM4.2 on my HD - Cleaned).

Uninstalled DM6 and re-installed it.

When I plug the BB, DM asks me whether I wan to open the folder or sync with Wediws media player.

If I select open the folder, the screen is empty under My Computer\MTP.

(What is this (MTP) by the way?)

If instead I select "Sync with Media Player', my BB will sync with Media Player.

Still, I can"t have access to any of the Media Sync options in DM6:

Under Music, get the same message that I need to enable Mass Storage ,etc.

Under Pictures, "Picture Services failed to load. An unexpected error occured"

Under Videos, "Video Services failed to load. An unexpected error occured"

Thanks for your help guys!

Francois
    12-23-10 01:05 PM
    Thanks for your help. Tried a lot of things (seemed to be some old files from DM4.2 on my HD - Cleaned).

Uninstalled DM6 and re-installed it.

When I plug the BB, DM asks me whether I wan to open the folder or sync with Wediws media player.

If I select open the folder, the screen is empty under My Computer\MTP.

(What is this (MTP) by the way?)

If instead I select "Sync with Media Player', my BB will sync with Media Player.

Still, I can"t have access to any of the Media Sync options in DM6:

Under Music, get the same message that I need to enable Mass Storage ,etc.

Under Pictures, "Picture Services failed to load. An unexpected error occured"

Under Videos, "Video Services failed to load. An unexpected error occured"

Thanks for your help guys!

Francois
    MTP = Media Transfer Protocol
    Used to transfer media to mp3 and media players. Usually used for mp3s
    12-23-10 01:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD