04-15-11 08:40 PM
407 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    I did this and it worked great. In Windows 7 I used the "Windows XP Mode" to create a virtual machine and installed Office 2007 in that VM pointing to the same PST file that my real Office 2010 install uses. I then installed DM in the VM and it works great. Now I can select DM from the VM and it updates seamlessly using OL 2007 even though I use OL 2010.
    Did it work for you just pointing your Outlook 2007 to your current Outlook 2010's PST file? I heard there were significant changes and this was impossible to be done.

Please advise.

I still can't believe that we, Blackberries user have to just accept this. Involution!
    07-03-10 05:54 PM
    I did the Windows XP Mode solution succesfully with the following proceedures. First the WIN 7 you have installed must be Professional or higher. I am running WIN7 64 bit Ultimate. I had to activate the Virtual Hardware function in my bios but if your computer can't do this MS provides an update to WIN XP Mode so you can still virtualize it. After installing WIN XP Mode and all of it's updates I installed Only the Outlook Portion of Office 2007. I set up an email account and used the "Advance Settings" to make sure it left any email it downloaded on the server. The Outlook.pst file in my Office 2007 was not the same as the one in Office 2010 and I couldn't figure out how to make it point to it, so here is the kludge I used. In Office 2010, I exported my data to a backup.pst file ( make note of where you put it.)
    I suggest only backing up what you want to sync and nothing more (e.g. Contacts, Calandar, Tasks). If you don't do the entire file (which can take some time) You will have to do each file separately but always to the same backup file.
    Locate the backup.pst file on your computer and copy it. Start Windows XP Mode and Paste the file into the C Drive where ever you want it. Start Outlook 2007 and import the backup.pst file using the import/export function on the file menu.
    Download and install BB Desktop into your Windows XP virtual computer. Connect your Blackberry. Using the USB menu at the top of your Windows XP Mode make sure the Blackberry is activated. Start BB Desktop and set it up as you normally would and then Syncronize. I also suggest running the backup portion of BB Desktop.
    This is a lot of work and should never have been necessary if RIM took care of their users. The latest word I have is the BB Desktop 6.0 will be release the same time as the OS 6.0 but no known date as of yet.
    07-03-10 06:18 PM
    Here's the RIM statement regarding this problem:

KB20654 - View Document

Here's the Microsoft explanation (with a graphic of the error message):

Building MAPI Applications on 32-Bit and 64-Bit Platforms

While it may be possible to downgrade to Outlook 2007, etc., this is probably not possible if you install Outlook 2010 64 bit, for the reasons noted in the Microsoft message above.

This is not only a problem with Desktop Manager, but also many other programs (e.g. Adobe Acrobat Professional) which use MAPI and which have not updated to be able to address MAPI in a 64 bit environment.

Choices appear to be to use the Companionlink software, to downgrade Outlook, or to wait for RIM.
    07-05-10 02:31 PM
    This is really quite insane (IMHO) that we left to feel like RIM's red-headed step children. RIM OUTLOOK 2010 is NOT esoteric or exotic. Anyway again - just waiting to for the date to order my DROID X (verizion) should be in a few weeks ...!
    07-06-10 08:28 AM
    [QUOTE= Choices appear to be to use the Companionlink software, to downgrade Outlook, or to wait for RIM.[/QUOTE]

Seeing as there is no current "release date" for a compatiable version of Desktop Manager and Office 2010, and Companion Link seems to be the only reliable way to achieve full functionallity of our phones. BB should reimburse users for the cost of the software.

Maybe, just maybe they might be able to salvage the customers that haven't dropped ship? Just a suggestion, I know this isn't the official BB message board, but I wanted to put it out there.
    07-06-10 12:23 PM
    I have copied my email to RIM's suggestion email account. Feel free to send your own and/or modify as you see fit.

bbsuggestions@rim.com

It has been confirmed from your technical support personnel as well as through numerous blogs/websites etc. that we have no expected date on a compatible version of Desktop Manager and Office 2010. This feature is an important artery into the functionality of this device. It appears that the 3rd party, Companion Link, has appropriate software to allow us to use our Blackberry devices at a cost of $50. Reimbursement of this software application to all users is suggested in order to continue to use the device. I will gladly continue to use my Blackberry device if functionality is maintained, but by necessity, I will need to look at another device if no solution to this issue is presented. A response to this matter is expected. Thank you.
    07-06-10 12:47 PM
    Thanks Legend.. I used yours... and fired 1 off myself... maybe if enough peeps jump on board something will get done!

I have copied my email to RIM's suggestion email account. Feel free to send your own and/or modify as you see fit.

bbsuggestions@rim.com

It has been confirmed from your technical support personnel as well as through numerous blogs/websites etc. that we have no expected date on a compatible version of Desktop Manager and Office 2010. This feature is an important artery into the functionality of this device. It appears that the 3rd party, Companion Link, has appropriate software to allow us to use our Blackberry devices at a cost of $50. Reimbursement of this software application to all users is suggested in order to continue to use the device. I will gladly continue to use my Blackberry device if functionality is maintained, but by necessity, I will need to look at another device if no solution to this issue is presented. A response to this matter is expected. Thank you.
    07-06-10 04:25 PM
    We are all having this problem stemming from how BlackBerry Desktop Manager cannot use the data in the New Outlook 2010 this is probably due to the change in the PST (during the workaround of Office 2007 able to use the new Office pst file)or how Outlook processes this differently.

As noted before in this thread that RIM's support Document states they know the problem and it is given to the development team but no resolution time is given.

Looking at the information from the Official Outlook 2010, they announced the new pst File Formant SDK on June 9, 2010. So its almost a month.

So really, the start date for RIM was June 9, 2010 when Microsoft release the SDK on the PST file Formant which is file used in Outlook. I guess they are coding and testing before a official release.

I can understand the complaining but the people who jumped so early get these problems as early adopters. So I am thinking it will come like near the end of Summer. I can say I also jumped on to the early Office 2010 but like previously mention I used the Google App work around.
    07-06-10 08:56 PM
    This is really starting to annoy me. I don't have any option but to use Office 2010 and obviously like everyone else I'd like to have 2010 syncing working. I have been using 2010 since beta and then RTM and now retail and still nothing from RIM.
    Luckily it's only work stuff that isn't getting through so I can live without it for the time being but damn, really RIM.. Get your act together.
    07-07-10 12:24 AM
    Looking at the information from the Official Outlook 2010, they announced the new pst File Formant SDK on June 9, 2010. So its almost a month.

So really, the start date for RIM was June 9, 2010 when Microsoft release the SDK on the PST file Formant which is file used in Outlook. I guess they are coding and testing before a official release.

I can say I also jumped on to the early Office 2010 but like previously mention I used the Google App work around.

Interesting, I didn't know about the PST release. How did you use the Google App work around? Their website says it's only compatible through Office 2007.
    07-07-10 10:31 AM
    It looks like at least we now have a target date!

KB20654 - View Document
    07-07-10 06:04 PM
    It looks like at least we now have a target date!

KB20654 - View Document
    Ok, at least RIM has officially said something... August 2010.
    Anyway this still does not explain or justify the incredible delay!!
    07-07-10 07:43 PM
    And no support for 64 bit until sometime next year: KB17149.

Guess we'll just have to be glad we get 32 bit support.
    07-07-10 11:16 PM
    Good to see that business users are still #1 for RIM! If I have to use a Google app to sync with Outlook 2010 I guess I'll just use an android device.
    07-08-10 12:00 PM
    I did the Windows XP Mode solution succesfully with the following proceedures. First the WIN 7 you have installed must be Professional or higher. I am running WIN7 64 bit Ultimate. I had to activate the Virtual Hardware function in my bios but if your computer can't do this MS provides an update to WIN XP Mode so you can still virtualize it. After installing WIN XP Mode and all of it's updates I installed Only the Outlook Portion of Office 2007. I set up an email account and used the "Advance Settings" to make sure it left any email it downloaded on the server. The Outlook.pst file in my Office 2007 was not the same as the one in Office 2010 and I couldn't figure out how to make it point to it, so here is the kludge I used. In Office 2010, I exported my data to a backup.pst file ( make note of where you put it.)
    I suggest only backing up what you want to sync and nothing more (e.g. Contacts, Calandar, Tasks). If you don't do the entire file (which can take some time) You will have to do each file separately but always to the same backup file.
    Locate the backup.pst file on your computer and copy it. Start Windows XP Mode and Paste the file into the C Drive where ever you want it. Start Outlook 2007 and import the backup.pst file using the import/export function on the file menu.
    Download and install BB Desktop into your Windows XP virtual computer. Connect your Blackberry. Using the USB menu at the top of your Windows XP Mode make sure the Blackberry is activated. Start BB Desktop and set it up as you normally would and then Syncronize. I also suggest running the backup portion of BB Desktop.
    This is a lot of work and should never have been necessary if RIM took care of their users. The latest word I have is the BB Desktop 6.0 will be release the same time as the OS 6.0 but no known date as of yet.
    My experience was much simpler. Note that all I sync is my calendar, contacts and notes. I do not sync mail. In your VM make sure you have enabled access to the host C drive. Then in when you install OL 2007 in the VM (I don't remember the exact path to the option) go to options in OL 2007 and manage data files. Open your PST file on the host drive, make it the default and close the original PST. I have had no issues with 2007 and 2010 using the same PST file, I just make sure and close 2010 when I open the VM to sync. I have not had to do any exporting, as an end result I simply open the VM, Enable the USB connection to the BB, open DM and sync. I'm at work but can give more detailed instructions from home if anyone wants.
    07-08-10 01:41 PM
    I just discovered this problem...which really puzzles me. The strange part is I've been using Outlook 2010 for months now and everything was fine. I dropped my Storm 2 and got an insurance replacement. Once I did the transfer, which went off like clockwork, I jsut tried my first sync. I get this irritating message of "No Message Stores Available" I just can't understand why it was working fine...then boom! it's screwed! Nothing on my desktop has changed!

(sigh). Maybe that switch to an Android Phone will come sooner than I thought.
    07-08-10 05:02 PM
    And no support for 64 bit until sometime next year: KB17149.

Guess we'll just have to be glad we get 32 bit support.
    Email sent to bbusggestions@rim.com

I have just read KB17149 and discovered that the compatibility for 64x systems will not be released until 2011.

My jaw dropped.

I have been using Office 2010 for months now and while I was patient during the beta stage as RIM do not support Beta software. Now office 2010 has been available for months I am STUNNED that a fix is not available.

Apple released an update for iPhone compatibility almost immediately.

I wish to inform you that you have lost a loyal customer because of the shambles.

Regards

Jamie
    07-09-10 10:01 AM
    Outlook 2010 does not seem to use the profile system that its predecessors have used for many years. When the BDM goes to sync it can't find a Outlook profile and fails to sync as a result. Some users have not experienced this problem as they may have had a previous version of Outlook on the PC which means that a profile still exists that the BDM can link itself to. The BDM just needs to be updated to sync without the need to link itself to a profile. Probably much easier said than done, however that's what programmers are paid to do.
    07-09-10 10:08 AM
    Anyone Running MS office 2010 and syncing Outlook with their Desktop Manager?

I have been trying to Sync DM 5.0 with Outlook 2010, and keep getting a Outlook Connector Error, "No Available Message Stores"

I have not been able to solve this and wondering if anyone has found a solution yet?
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

07-09-10 05:53 PM
    I got it working. I think found the solution here but I had upgraded from 07 and not a clean install. Microsoft Outlook 2010 | Microsoft Office 2010 forums |

07-09-10 05:54 PM
    As long as you have the Outlook 2010 (or Office 2010) media, this workaround has worked for me multiple times. Essentially you install Outlook 2007, configure sync, and finally, since Outlook 2007 breaks the Outlook 2010 installation, repair the Outlook 2010 installation.

1. Assuming Office 2010 (including Outlook 2010) is installed
    2. Download and install an Outlook 2007 trial copy from Free Outlook Trial Download Outlook | Microsoft Office Outlook 2007
    3. Install Desktop Manager 5.01
    4. Configure DM 5.01 to sync with Outlook 2007 (Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, Notes)
    5. Uninstall the Outlook 2007 trial copy
    6. Load the Outlook 2010 (or Office 2010) media and run "Repair Installation"
    7. Voila!

My configuration:
    • Win 7 (64-bit)
    • Office 2010 (32-bit)
    • Desktop Manager 5.01
    • Blackberry 8900
    07-10-10 03:55 PM
    Outlook 2010 does not seem to use the profile system that its predecessors have used for many years. When the BDM goes to sync it can't find a Outlook profile and fails to sync as a result. Some users have not experienced this problem as they may have had a previous version of Outlook on the PC which means that a profile still exists that the BDM can link itself to. The BDM just needs to be updated to sync without the need to link itself to a profile. Probably much easier said than done, however that's what programmers are paid to do.
    Yeah I agree, it seems that BDM uses the Outlook program to get to the profile to access the data. Instead they should rebuild the sync to just read the basic PST file so that whether or not you have outlook installed it can sync the data. And it does not depend on your version of Outlook whether it is x86 or x64
    07-11-10 08:16 PM
    here is the scary truth: KB17149 - View Document

"Currently, BlackBerry Desktop Manager 5.0.1 does not support Microsoft Outlook 2010 64-bit version for mailbox connectivity and synchronization of organizer data such as Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, and Memos. The next release of the BlackBerry Desktop Manager provides support for Microsoft Outlook 2010 32-bit version only. This release is targeted for August 2010. Support for Microsoft Outlook 2010 64-bit version will be available in 2011."
    07-12-10 09:48 AM
    To answer some questions and state some opinions:

a) Microsoft Office (including Outlook) was made available to anyone who wanted to try it as a free beta, starting in November 2009. This is not something Microsoft was hiding from RIM or anyone else.

b) On an unknown date, Microsoft posted information for authors of programs, like Desktop Manager, that explained that some rewrite of such programs would be needed to work with the new version of Office. Here are the details:
    Building MAPI Applications on 32-Bit and 64-Bit Platforms
    Because there are many, many applications designed independently of Microsoft to work with Office (and other MS programs), it is the responsibility of those developers, in this case RIM, to keep abreast of the changes to programs they design to work with Office. Clearly, Outlook is a program relied upon by many, if not most RIM customers and to which they wish to sync. (I am neither an employee or even really a fan of Microsoft.)

c) In a post on another BB in a reply to a frustrated user of the beta version, RIM Tech Support posted, on May 4, 2010, Office 2010 will be supported once when is available for consumers. That will be in June. (This obviously was not the case and they were obviously aware of the problem.)

d) After some rather substantial frustration expressed here and elsewhere, and perhaps thousands of hours wasted by RIM customers, trying fruitlessly to sync and trying various workarounds, RIM posted a technical bulletin (dated July 9, 2010) entitled, Support for Microsoft Outlook 2010 64-bit version, stating that, Currently, BlackBerry Desktop Manager 5.0.1 does not support Microsoft Outlook 2010 64-bit version for mailbox connectivity and synchronization of organizer data such as Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, and Memos. This further stated that, When the next release of the BlackBerry Desktop Manager is available (targeted for August 2010), it will only have support for the 32-bit version of Microsoft Outlook 2010. The 64-bit version of Microsoft Outlook 2010 is not supported.

e) An independent company, Sync Android, iPhone, iPad, BlackBerry, Palm Pre, Windows Mobile and more with Outlook, Lotus Notes, ACT!, Palm Desktop and Google | CompanionLink Software, presently offers a solution that allows the current version of DM to work with Outlook 64, but it costs $50. Apparently they anticipated the issue and did what was needed and will now generate major income from BB users who need to sync, but can't get service from RIM.

Summary opinions:

1) RIM knew or should have known that a new version of Outlook was being issued and that RIM customers would likely upgrade to this version and wish to maintain sync ability.

2) RIM did not modify Desktop Manager during the six months plus of beta availability of the program.

3) RIM apparently posted bogus information in at least one place on the Internet stating that the program would be modified in June 2010.

4) RIM did not widely disseminate information to its customers to help them avoid the frustrations and wasted time of trying to sync their new installations of Outlook, when this was not possible. Many customers likely wasted thousands of hours in total.

5) It is likely that most customers have installed the 32 bit version of Office 2010, as this is the one recommended by MS. It appears that support for those customers is coming sometime soon. Some customers will have installed the 64 bit version of Office 2010, considering that it is available at no extra cost and is likely the future default. Those customers are essentially being ignored by RIM and told that support may come sometime in 2011. Their only recourse is to uninstall the 64 bit version of Office and reinstall the 32 bit version, again wasting vast amounts of time. (There is no provision in Office to simply downgrade to 32 bit.)

6) What kind of company, generating the revenues and presumably desiring the loyalty of customers, treats them thus?
    07-12-10 08:12 PM
    6) What kind of company, generating the revenues and presumably desiring the loyalty of customers, treats them thus?
    Simple, one that relies primarily on revenues from larger companies who:
    1. Have a BES server and compatible email server so Desktop Manager is not required for syncing. And
    2. Won't consider installing any Microsoft product until at least the first service pack has been released.

I'm not saying I like it... I, too, think it would have been far better and quite reasonable for RIM to have an updated DM out to support this sooner but remember it's about the money and it's obvious that their DM syncing customers are their biggest source of income.
    07-13-10 12:51 AM
407 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD