The only way atm to do this is to keep both outlook 2007 and 2010 on your computer, you can make changes in 2010 and they automatically update the 2007 side, without you having to ever actually run 2007, DM is going to look at the .pst files from 2007 and 2010 knows how to overwrite it. Therefore, you can happily enjoy 2010 without having to use, 07.

Funny thing is again i say 2010 can overwrite the .pst file but DM won�t read it from the 2010 stand-alone yet and still it is beta not much to complain about unless you want to "send a frown" from your notifications LOL
    When installing Office 2010 you cannot keep Outlook 2007 AND 2010. All other Office apps can be installed keeping the 2007 versions, but Outlook (if you decide to install) will remove Outlook 2007 and replace it with 2010.
    I am now running a newer version of Office 2010 (leaked to a Russian site 10 days ago, version 14.0.4730.1007) and still have the same issues when synch. I can synch, but cannot modify any synch setting.

Once again the only way to synch is to first install 2007, set it up with DM and then upgrade.
    01-23-10 07:38 AM
    I am too having problems with message stores and beta 2010.
    I had 8830 and upgraded to tour. A week later, I upgraded my office 2007 32 bit on vista ultimate 32bit. My syncing was working until I rebooted my pc. The syncing shows no message stores error message!! Arrgh!! I had google calender sync too until I installed office beta 2010.

I read the forum here, everybody is saying to use 32bit, install office 2007 and do the sync then upgrade to 2010. Hmmmm , It sounds pretty much what I had before I rebooted and got this message. It seems like the stores from office 2010 has moved, but where to?

So- should I go ahead and format and install from strach? vista, office 2007, DM 5.0.1.28, sync, then install office beta 2010 upgrade?

Oy! I am having a hand wringing moment - my wife and I have tours and my son using 8830. need to sync everything. argh!
    01-28-10 04:07 PM
    I am too having problems with message stores and beta 2010.
    I had 8830 and upgraded to tour. A week later, I upgraded my office 2007 32 bit on vista ultimate 32bit. My syncing was working until I rebooted my pc. The syncing shows no message stores error message!! Arrgh!! I had google calender sync too until I installed office beta 2010.

I read the forum here, everybody is saying to use 32bit, install office 2007 and do the sync then upgrade to 2010. Hmmmm , It sounds pretty much what I had before I rebooted and got this message. It seems like the stores from office 2010 has moved, but where to?

So- should I go ahead and format and install from strach? vista, office 2007, DM 5.0.1.28, sync, then install office beta 2010 upgrade?

Oy! I am having a hand wringing moment - my wife and I have tours and my son using 8830. need to sync everything. argh!
    Remember Office 2010 is still at beta stage. On the other hand DM is still not compatible with Office 2010. I�m sure a newer version of DM will hit the roads before the official release of 2010.

Meanwhile, all of us who are using "unofficial" Office 2010, we will have to live with these issues!
    01-28-10 07:37 PM
    I have a slight variation of the same issue. I was running Desktop 5.0.1 and Outlook 2010 beta. I was syncing fine for about a week and a half. I then answered a call while the phone was syncing.. The usb cord came out of the phone. After that, the desktop no longer recognized the phone. I reloaded the desktop in order for the phone to be "found." When I tried to re-configure the desktop, i got the "no available message stores" error. Since then, I have tried removing and reloading outlook, removing and reloading the complete office suite, removing and reloading the desktop software, hard booting the phone, doing the "mapi" file fix i found elsewhere, loading older desktop software... nothing worked.

I am thinking of posting a reward for the fix. Any solutions out there?
    02-03-10 06:51 AM
    I have a slight variation of the same issue. I was running Desktop 5.0.1 and Outlook 2010 beta. I was syncing fine for about a week and a half. I then answered a call while the phone was syncing.. The usb cord came out of the phone. After that, the desktop no longer recognized the phone. I reloaded the desktop in order for the phone to be "found." When I tried to re-configure the desktop, i got the "no available message stores" error. Since then, I have tried removing and reloading outlook, removing and reloading the complete office suite, removing and reloading the desktop software, hard booting the phone, doing the "mapi" file fix i found elsewhere, loading older desktop software... nothing worked.

I am thinking of posting a reward for the fix. Any solutions out there?
    Your only option nows is uninstalling Outlook 2010, reinstall Outlook 2007. Then configure DM with synch with Outlook 2007. Once you get this working upgrade Outlook to 2010 and everything should go back to normal.

Good luck!
    02-04-10 07:23 AM
    I have a solution, beta software is not yet ready for prime time. It is put out for people to test and report problems that will hopefully get fixed.

Don't count on or use beta software for your only source it is for TESTING.
    02-04-10 09:31 AM
    02-08-10 12:04 PM
    I followed the directions of removing outlook 2010 beta ... re-installing 2007 and configuring DM. I then upgraded to 2010 beta and all is great. I am now able to sync my bb with outlook 2010. What a relief!

Been working for over a week with no problems!!!
    02-19-10 05:10 PM
    I have the latest DM 5.0.1, and no reprieve yet.
    02-25-10 03:03 AM
    Going from 2007 to 2010 worked for me.

I however have one issue. I've imported some dates into Outlook Calender. Football fixtures. when I sync the calender it only imports the items in 'my calender' and not the ones it's created in the additional calender overlay.

anybody know how I can get there dates to sync into DM and my BB9700?
    03-03-10 04:53 AM
    Wanted to confirm...

My scenario:
    Windows XP, Office 2007 Pro Plus upgraded to Office 2010 Pro Plus 32bit, I removed my mail profile (Control panel - Mail) and created a new one after installing 2010, and it broke the sync.

Completely Uninstalled all 2010 and then 2007 products listed in Add/Remove
    Rebooted. Ran ccleaner.

Installed Office Pro 2007.

Deleted mail profile on machine, created a new one (Control panel - mail)

Ran a repair install of Desktop Manager (precautionary measure).

Setup my sync and did a test run (pulled all 384 contacts into Outlook07, confirmed it worked)

Ran the 2010 Professional Plus installer. Chose to remove all current programs, Run All from my computer...

Completed install, rebooted, opened up DM and synced without issue.

This is the only workable solution thus far... I did try fixing MAPI, and some other issues to no avail. Your mail profile must be created prior to installing 2010.

As far as I'm concerned, until a new DM is issued or a second beta of Office2010, This is your best bet and there's no point searching for anything else.

BEWARE: IF YOU CREATE A NEW PROFILE POST-2010 INSTALL, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SYNC TO IT.

A small price to pay to play with the new Office, now that we know this workaround is tested (and in my opinion, guaranteed).

Cheers!
    03-03-10 04:07 PM
    can anyone else confirm the WORKIN(?) procedure above?
    cheers
    03-21-10 03:13 PM
    can anyone else confirm the WORKIN(?) procedure above?
    cheers
    Yes, I followed most of the steps suggested by nmckinlay:

1. Uninstalled MS Office 2010 completely.

2. Ran CCleaner (don't know if this is essential)

3. Installed Office 2007 (but did not run any Office Program)

4. Deleted existing mail profile

5. Ran Outlook 2007 and setup an email account (thus creating a mail profile)

6. Setup sync between Blackberry Desktop Manager and Outlook 2007 (This was my very first time setting up sync, so I didn't think I needed to do a repair install of DM. Everything worked fine.)

7. Ran Office 2010 Installer (choosing remove all current programs, run all from my computer)

8. Made some changes in Outlook 2010 contacts and ran a sync. Everything went fine. Changes were synced to Blackberry.

Thanks to everybody for this work around and special thanks to nmckinlay for step-by-step instructions.
    03-22-10 09:30 AM
    If someone else has answered this, I apologize, but I am running Windows 7, Office 2010 and DM 5.0.1.28.

I have my installation disks for Office 2003 but get an error message when it tries to write to the registry - saying I need Administrator priviliges which I have.

I've removed 2010 before installing. Left 2010 while installing. Turned off User Account settings - no joy.

Anyone had this issue and worked around it?
    03-22-10 10:35 AM
    Bad news, just downloaded and installed latest DM version 5.0.1.37. Still no Office 2010 compatibility. All the above fixes still necessary...

Office 2010 is just around the corner now and RIM still has not made their latest DM version compatible with it.!! Shame on this...
    03-25-10 09:51 PM
    I have the same problem. the upgrade doesnt work bc the beta wont install with 2007 apps on it. Boo! Gonna try Data's suggestions about installing Outlook 2007.
    03-25-10 09:59 PM
    I have the same problem. the upgrade doesnt work bc the beta wont install with 2007 apps on it. Boo! Gonna try Data's suggestions about installing Outlook 2007.
    Yes, read my comments in this same thread on how to work around the problem, but the fact is that this new DM release still does not work properly with Office 2010. In my case I�m working with the RC of Office which is a later version than the official Beta.
    03-26-10 06:58 AM
    I went to one of the forums (fora?) on the Blackberry site a month or so ago and the response to a similar query about Ofc 2010 was that it was in Beta and RIM didn't support beta software.

I can't believe that RIM won't be compatible with the release version of Office 2010; they may be waiting for a big-number upgrade of DM (as was the lead item on Crackberry last night) and include it in that to help force upgrades.

Meanwhile it IS a major PITA.
    03-26-10 08:41 AM
    Outlook 2010 stores its files in a different (better) place than outlook 2007. I think that the desktop manager is looking for the 2010 outlook.pst file in the wrong place.

Basically, Outlook 2007 set up its files in the hidden \User\Appdata directory and Outlook 2010 creates \User\My documents\Outlook files. Unfortunately, there seems to be no way to tell the desktop manager where to look.

This is probably why upgrades from 2007 to 2010 work with the desktop manager as Outlook leaves the pst file in AppData. However, if you install outlook 2010 on a fresh OS install (like I did) it drops the .pst file in its new home.

Anyhow, this is my hypothesis. Will do some testing.
    04-02-10 12:27 PM
    Outlook 2010 stores its files in a different (better) place than outlook 2007. I think that the desktop manager is looking for the 2010 outlook.pst file in the wrong place.

Basically, Outlook 2007 set up its files in the hidden \User\Appdata directory and Outlook 2010 creates \User\My documents\Outlook files. Unfortunately, there seems to be no way to tell the desktop manager where to look.

This is probably why upgrades from 2007 to 2010 work with the desktop manager as Outlook leaves the pst file in AppData. However, if you install outlook 2010 on a fresh OS install (like I did) it drops the .pst file in its new home.

Anyhow, this is my hypothesis. Will do some testing.
    i dont even think it uses a PST file anymore, its some other different way of storing the data
    04-02-10 12:33 PM
    i dont even think it uses a PST file anymore, its some other different way of storing the data
    No it�s not. Outlook 2010 uses exactly the same type of .pst file as Outlook 2007. You can try to open an Outlook 2010 .pst in an PC with 2007 and it works fine.
    I do beleive that the location of the .pst file does have tod do in this.. Anyway. I don�t think we will have to wait long now. Office 2010 is round the corner... and RIM will have tu update their DM to be compatible with it.
    04-02-10 05:00 PM
    Has anyone tried a symlink from the 2007 location to the 2010 location? May be worth a shot.
    04-02-10 07:01 PM
    My problem arose when I moved the .pst file from its default location to my thumb drive along with the rest of my docs and dynamic files. I see there is STILL a copy of the Outlook file in USERS/RICH/APP DATA/LOCAL/MICROSOFT/OFFICE - but also at its location on my thumb drive. Didn't know that until shfraser pointed it out.

Agree, tho, that RIM will update DM to find the Office 2010 files. Wish they'd let us beta test it.
    04-03-10 07:43 AM
    I don't think it's a PST location issue, mine is still in the same location 2007 placed it, but I do have the above issue.

What I have found is that it seems to be an issue with the MSMAPI32.DLL and/or OLMAPI32.DLL file(s). If I replace the MSMAPI32.DLL file in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033" (Outlook 2010 64bit) with the file from Outlook 2007 (It was in the 32 bit Program Files folder), then DM starts up without complaining that Outlook isn't installed.

At that point it also seems to connect to the MAPI system, but doesn't talk correctly. It says it can't reconcile emails because exchange is currently offline, and the profiles drop down is still empty. But this does avoid the "Outlook isn't installed" error.

Now once I started playing with the OLMAPI32.DLL file things went awry and DM would crash upon loading.

I also tried moving lots of registry keys around and it doesn't seem like it's tied to that, nothing I did there had an effect.

Mainly I did my first level debugging using Process Monitor and I watched what files it opened and what registry keys were read.

Hopefully that information will help someone with more time to tinker with this then I have right now.

As a side note, the threaded conversations in 2010 is nice, and I noticed when I reinstalled 2007, I had the same threaded view setup as default in 2007 as 2010 had moved to. (The Junk mail filter in 2010 is worthless BTW)
    04-05-10 02:10 PM
    I don't think it's a PST location issue, mine is still in the same location 2007 placed it, but I do have the above issue.

What I have found is that it seems to be an issue with the MSMAPI32.DLL and/or OLMAPI32.DLL file(s). If I replace the MSMAPI32.DLL file in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033" (Outlook 2010 64bit) with the file from Outlook 2007 (It was in the 32 bit Program Files folder), then DM starts up without complaining that Outlook isn't installed.

At that point it also seems to connect to the MAPI system, but doesn't talk correctly. It says it can't reconcile emails because exchange is currently offline, and the profiles drop down is still empty. But this does avoid the "Outlook isn't installed" error.

Now once I started playing with the OLMAPI32.DLL file things went awry and DM would crash upon loading.

I also tried moving lots of registry keys around and it doesn't seem like it's tied to that, nothing I did there had an effect.

Mainly I did my first level debugging using Process Monitor and I watched what files it opened and what registry keys were read.

Hopefully that information will help someone with more time to tinker with this then I have right now.

As a side note, the threaded conversations in 2010 is nice, and I noticed when I reinstalled 2007, I had the same threaded view setup as default in 2007 as 2010 had moved to. (The Junk mail filter in 2010 is worthless BTW)
    To be honest, this is to complicated to start experimenting with. I use my BB and Outlook for work. I�ve managed to have Outlooks 2010 working and synch doing the upgrade from 2007 trick. Now I�ll sit back and wait till RIM releases a new DM version that supports 2010... period..
    04-05-10 05:18 PM
407 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD