Hi everyone this is my 1st post, so try and be nice as I'm new to blackberry.

Basically I'm a t -mobile user in the UK and recently invested in the curve 8900, I want to use the handset as a modem and use it with my laptop but I'm stumbling at the 1st hurdle which is actually installing desktop manager.

It keeps asking me for my windows login password and I haven't got a clue what it is, or where I can find it?

Any help or a guide to use my curve 8900 as a modem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Woody
    06-18-09 10:29 AM
    Bump - Can anybody help me...
    06-18-09 10:42 AM
    Do not bump your thread after just 10 minutes of posting it. Thanks.
    06-18-09 11:12 AM
    maybe you could help me then?
    06-18-09 11:24 AM
    Do a bit of searching, there are many "How To" Guides for using the Blackberry as a modem. This is also called tethering. Here is one guide:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...y-modem-19093/

I do not know about the install problem you are having but it sounds like you are using Vista and it is some issue with that.
    06-18-09 11:29 AM
    I'm using XP, just don't seem to be able to install desktop manager..
    06-18-09 12:02 PM
    Which version of Desktop Managerare you trying to install? Where did you get this from? The best place is https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22 and you should get Desktop Manager v4.6 with no media manager.

Remove you system passwords before you start the install. I do not know what it asks for this but if you are on a limited account and not a administrator account this could be it.

Check with T-Mobile to make sure that they allow tethering as it may not work if they have blocked the port.

Aristile is right, bumping is definitly not allowed and it just annoys everyone. Basically we will all help but we also have lives and your problems are yours and not ours.
    06-18-09 12:23 PM
    Thankyou for your help, when you say remove your system password, what exactly do you mean? and where do I disable it?

T-Mobile say its fine to set up tethering and doing so I presume the port is open.

Finally sorry to bump, I'm just having a really fustrating time at the minute and want to resolve this problem as quickly as possible.
    06-18-09 12:44 PM
    Everything now is in order but I seem to falling at the final fencing and keep getting the message:-

"error 734 the ppp link control protocol was terminated"

does anybody know what this means and how to resolve it?

thanks
    06-18-09 06:04 PM
    Doc thanks for the private message but I can't reply to you as I'm still a newbie.

at the moment im getting an Error on the blackberry handset itself which reads "Supplementary Service Error: System Failure" each time I try and Dial...

Is there anything I actually have to process on the Blackberry itself?
    06-19-09 06:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD