Since there are only a few of us that post in this forum, I figured it is ok to ask for Mac advice not pertaining to BB.
    Anyway, anyone got any recommendations on programs to re-size images?
    I can open, edit, crop in iPhoto, but can seem to figure out how to take a image, say that it is 900x600 pixels and re-size it to say 240x260. I've downloaded Gimp and use this on my PC, and it is available for Mac, GIMP - for Mac OS X but was wondering if it's possible to do this with software already installed.
    I want to download and use Gimp, but being new to Mac, it states that I need the following and I'm just not 100% sure.

Requirements

GIMP will only run on Mac OS X, not on version 9 or earlier of the Macintosh operating system. There are a number of reasons why it is unlikely that GIMP will ever run on older versions of Mac OS. In addition to Mac OS X, the following is a list of what you will need to run GIMP on your Macintosh:
    • X Windowing Layer
      GIMP uses a separate windowing layer, the X11 windowing protocol, on Mac OS X, which must be installed first. The XDarwin project provides this functionality. Apple used to provide their own version of this windowing layer, based on XFree86. Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) now ships with an X11.app based on the X.Org 7.2 release.
    • Graphics libraries and toolkits
      Unlike most Linux distributions, Mac OS X does not come with the open source libraries upon which GIMP is built. These are typically installed along with GIMP, but can be installed separately. If you want to compile GIMP from source, we suggest that you use MacPorts or fink to install the libraries it depends on.
    Last edited by Member_No.1; 02-20-08 at 06:45 AM.
    02-20-08 06:42 AM
    You can resize the image using the Export Tool ... that's how I do mine.
    02-20-08 08:15 AM
    Thanks, I did try that, but after I did, I looked at the info for the image, and it shows it to be different than what I specified. Will try again.
    02-20-08 08:58 AM
    You can crop and resize photos in the preview program as well that comes standard on os x. I preferably use photoshop though being a graphic designer..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-08 11:58 AM
    what ver of os x are u using? preview is a good option, although it doesn't have all the resizing options that i like to use... Photoshop is WAY to expensive for non-professionals... try ACORN... it seems to be share-ware, you need to pay for it, but if you edit your pic quickly, it doesn't get in your way.
    02-22-08 04:07 PM
    I'm using OS X10.5. Preview worked good for my purposes this time. I need to resize one of the Mac's pre-installed wall papers so I could use it on my 8130 for the same reason. I'm still interested in trying to get Gimp to work. Haven't tried as of yet.
    02-22-08 10:43 PM
    Have you tried the Notebook Review forums with this question? I've gotten the answer to any Mac question I have on that site... Drat - haven't posted enough on this site to do links yet, but go to NotebookReview.com, select "Discussion" from the top, then scroll way down to "Apple and OSX"

I'd first do a search on your question; if you don't find an answer, then register and post the Q yourself...
    02-23-08 10:39 PM
    I'm not sure what Mac OS you are running but...

GIMP needs the X11 framework or whatever you want to call it to run. The X11 is on the first install disk that came with your computer. Pop it in and scroll down it should be in a folder called "Other installs" or something along those lines. After you install that then you can install GIMP.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask me.
    Last edited by Eric_V; 02-24-08 at 01:34 AM.
    02-24-08 12:54 AM
    I use the Automator program included with your machine. I set up a workflow to reduce the size of the photos by 2/3 and another by 50%, and named them as such. It'll reduce 1 or 100 photos at a time. Really net trick. Sorry I can't remember my script but it was fairly simple. Good luck.
    Twist n shout!
    03-09-08 05:32 PM
    Yes, if you want to use GIMP, then use the Developers kit DVD that came with the Mac & FINK (free) to install.
    03-09-08 10:45 PM
    I use Preview on my Mac. also rapidresizer. Its free, elegant drag and drop to whatever size you want.
    Last edited by imist; 03-10-08 at 05:48 PM.
    03-10-08 05:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD