Having played with this awesome feature so far, I have the following observations thus far:

This is primarily a file access feature... it will NOT replace Splashtop, Remote Desktop, or Teamviewer...those apps are used to access the entire computer, including running programs on-screen...in other words, if the BB phone doesn't support the file type, you can't open it. I prefer using this feature to stream media or open docs, but you still need one of the other apps to do more than that. This is strictly file-sharing.

It currently does not appear to be compatible with Windows Home Server OS (2003 or 2011), as the Blackberry Virtual Private Network connection isn't available for Link to connect to the internet. It's clearly a driver issue. I plan on sending BB a request for a driver update, if they haven't already heard about it (I'm sure they have)

There doesn't seem to be a lag with the streaming operations, as there is with Splashtop. The playback of videos is excellent, and uninterrupted over wifi. Very impressed so far.

Any other observations, please feel free to add....

Cheers.
    Last edited by costas1966; 04-28-13 at 06:30 AM.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-28-13 06:18 AM
    Good stuff!
    05-12-13 11:25 PM
    I'm sharing my 4 TB library from my WD Live box networked over wifi to my laptop. I find that it takes a while for my media to pop up if it actually does. The file manager freezes up quite a bit. Some smaller folders pop up, and it does work as I've streamed a movie already. I got a lot of buffering at the beginning, about every 30 seconds or so it would buffer for 15 seconds or so, but that seemed to go away after a while of streaming.

Posted via CB10

And GO SHARKS!!!
    05-13-13 12:47 AM
    A driver issue, for remote server file system access? My first thought would be to look at ports (supported and if any are closed). Next I'd look if the server os was supported which it isn't.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 01:20 AM
    Having played with this awesome feature so far, I have the following observations thus far:

This is primarily a file access feature... it will NOT replace Splashtop, Remote Desktop, or Teamviewer...those apps are used to access the entire computer, including running programs on-screen...in other words, if the BB phone doesn't support the file type, you can't open it. I prefer using this feature to stream media or open docs, but you still need one of the other apps to do more than that. This is strictly file-sharing.

It currently does not appear to be compatible with Windows Home Server OS (2003 or 2011), as the Blackberry Virtual Private Network connection isn't available for Link to connect to the internet. It's clearly a driver issue. I plan on sending BB a request for a driver update, if they haven't already heard about it (I'm sure they have)

There doesn't seem to be a lag with the streaming operations, as there is with Splashtop. The playback of videos is excellent, and uninterrupted over wifi. Very impressed so far.

Any other observations, please feel free to add....

Cheers.
    Good observations. One question though - have you been able to access your files using only your cellular network? I ask because I can access the files on my home computer using my Z10 but only if I use a wifi connection. Cellular won't connect.
    05-15-13 07:44 AM
    Good observations. One question though - have you been able to access your files using only your cellular network? I ask because I can access the files on my home computer using my Z10 but only if I use a wifi connection. Cellular won't connect.
    Mine is working over cellular. There's an option to allow it to stream over mobile. Either in link, or the link settings on the phone

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 09:10 AM
    Mine is working over cellular. There's an option to allow it to stream over mobile. Either in link, or the link settings on the phone

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. But I have checked the box that says "use cellular network" but I still cannot connect unless I am on wifi.
    05-15-13 09:13 AM
    Isn't is also kind of stupid that this doesn't work if the computer falls asleep? How am I supposed to prevent that if I am at work all day?
    05-15-13 09:28 AM
    Isn't is also kind of stupid that this doesn't work if the computer falls asleep? How am I supposed to prevent that if I am at work all day?
    I just have it shut down the monitor after 10 mins and let it go. It's basically off, no need to fully shut down the comp

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 11:09 AM
    Thanks. But I have checked the box that says "use cellular network" but I still cannot connect unless I am on wifi.
    Disable your firewall? Anti virus?

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 11:10 AM
    Disable your firewall? Anti virus?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, that is now the next step for me. Someone on another, similar thread mentioned I have to change my firewall settings. I have no idea how to do that, but I will try tonight!

Thanks for your help, mtitiz34...
    05-15-13 11:14 AM
    I just have it shut down the monitor after 10 mins and let it go. It's basically off, no need to fully shut down the comp

Posted via CB10
    Oh I see. Just let the monitor go off/sleep and not the computer. I will try that. Thanks!
    05-15-13 11:14 AM
    Does this remote access allow you to access files on more than one computer? I ask because I see both my PC nad my Laptop. I can only see the file from my laptop. When I open the window for the desktop it is blank! Any suggestions. By the way I can access the Laptop via the cellular network.
    05-15-13 03:12 PM
    Yes, that is now the next step for me. Someone on another, similar thread mentioned I have to change my firewall settings. I have no idea how to do that, but I will try tonight!

Thanks for your help, mtitiz34...
    Your best bet is to try just disabling it first for a few minutes and test it out to see if that's it before you start going through all the steps to open up ports

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 04:37 PM
    Oh I see. Just let the monitor go off/sleep and not the computer. I will try that. Thanks!
    It kills me to help a leafs fan, but I figured you've bin through enough this week lol

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 04:38 PM
    I love the ability to stream but I have one thing I can't quite figure out. When I want to stream music from my computer to my phone to play on my job radio how can I select more than one song at a time? Its kind of tedious to keep going back to my phone to select another song to play. I can't seem to find a "play all" option or even a way to select more than one song to play one after the other. Is there something that I'm missing?
    05-18-13 09:53 AM
    I love the ability to stream but I have one thing I can't quite figure out. When I want to stream music from my computer to my phone to play on my job radio how can I select more than one song at a time? Its kind of tedious to keep going back to my phone to select another song to play. I can't seem to find a "play all" option or even a way to select more than one song to play one after the other. Is there something that I'm missing?
    Can't be done with the native file manager but I believe the new Files and Folders app will allow it

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 10:25 AM
    Can't be done with the native file manager but I believe the new Files and Folders app will allow it

Posted via CB10
    Is this app on the phone somewhere or is it something I have to download?
    Edit- Ok I found it in BB World for $1.99. A bit confusing finding my files in Link and a bit laggy looking around but it works. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bastar; 05-18-13 at 11:28 AM.
    05-18-13 10:45 AM
    Is this app on the phone somewhere or is it something I have to download?
    Edit- Ok I found it in BB World for $1.99. A bit confusing finding my files in Link and a bit laggy looking around but it works. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    This could be your Internet connection from your computer at home. What speeds do you have at home?
    06-01-13 07:09 AM
    This could be your Internet connection from your computer at home. What speeds do you have at home?
    Well it's through a bell router over wifi. Playing the music if fine its just navigating through the app that is a hit leggy. No big deal though, you get used to it.
    06-01-13 08:20 AM
    Well it's through a bell router over wifi. Playing the music if fine its just navigating through the app that is a hit leggy. No big deal though, you get used to it.
    Could be your wireless settings on your router. I just tested my Z10 on my d- dir-655 and had no lag at all. What OS are you running? Is the machine pretty new in age? Is your wireless running at N speeds?
    06-01-13 11:08 AM
    I have a very fast desktop computer. Lots of Ram, quad core processor and SSD hard drive. I am running W7. One thing I noticed though is that you don't need link running to use this app. I was kind of stumped when it was streaming music without link on. Edit- Ok wait a minute.. I go into processes and it shows link is running but it is nowhere to be found. Does it run in the background without actually opening up on your desktop when connecting a phone? Weirdness......
    Back to the original topic tho. The app isn't choppy it just lags when going from folder to folder. Even when going through folders directly on your phone. There is about half a second delay after hitting a folder or the back button. As for the streaming it is top notch!
    06-01-13 11:28 AM
    Yeah, it was running still, you should also see an icon in the system tray with the BlackBerry logo. That is is Link running. I am on 10.1 leaked. What OS are you running?

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 07:29 PM
    Yeah, it was running still, you should also see an icon in the system tray with the BlackBerry logo. That is is Link running. I am on 10.1 leaked. What OS are you running?

Posted via CB10
    I am running 10.1. I rebooted my computer and it went away. Weird it was only showing in "processes" but not on the desktop at all.
    blusls likes this.
    06-01-13 08:08 PM