Firstly I really appreciate that you are trying to help.
    The reason that I cannot do as you suggest is that I live in the UK which has data protection rules that are compliant with EU regulations.
    What this means to me is that in order to protect my client data (contacts, appointments, backups, calendar's etc. etc.) I cannot upload to cloud storage which may be "outside" the European Union, if I do, then If breached I would be liable to prosecution for a breach of confidentiality.I would/may also lose my professional status.
    As I work in health my data must remain "in house" this means that I cannot transfer sensitive data via e-mail, given that a server connects to other servers in order for one domain to communicate with another all or some of which may be outside the EU.
    Some of the difficulties can be dealt with by anonymizing but this isn't possible with contact detail like phone numbers addresses etc.
    There are many other professions around the world that whilst not the same have restrictions on how data is handled, from what go1ndr suggests he has similar difficulties with data handling.
    Because of these security issues I choose a BlackBerry phone a Z30 (fab phone) mainly as it is one of the only mobile devices which has this "in house" capability. Nokia and Sony used to do this but sadly no longer, yes there are some third party applications which also have this capability but none have the permissions to access the API's of BlackBerry 10.
    The problem is further made difficult as at times I have to produce various text or otherwise messages to court, by nature these need to have accurate data which is original rather than collected by third party software as this tends to lose some of their data properties.
    Link provides me with as good as it can be "in house" data that I can access via backups and "in house" synchronisation via my PC.
    But thanks for your input, if you can find any other solution I and many others are all ears.
    Hi Dave, thanks for painting a broader perspective on this situation. I do wish you could enjoy the experience with link the way it should be intended.

A few questions.
    - how often do you backup your device?
    - what operating system do you have on your computer?
    - what syncs and what doesn't?
    - what happens or messages that pop up when it isn't working the way it should at the time you were using the latest Link version?
    - does your computer recognize your BlackBerry as network drives who you connect it via usb cable?
    - have you tried it on a different computer?

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 01:07 PM
    Vgorgous: Both Davey and myself, along with many, many others have tried every solution. I like him cannot (at least should not) use a cloud system like Hotmail (now called Outlook.com) or Yahoo/Gmail, etc. I am in the insurance and security business and like Davey, I have to keep our contacts out of the cloud and safely in Outlook. The old Desktop Manger Software did a great job of syncing, backing up and restoring, Outlook desktop versions (2003/2007/2010/ 2013) with the OS 7 phones. That ended when they brought out BBLink! Their idea was good but they never really built it correctly. For the first 6+ months it didn't even sync at all with Outlook Desktop and then when a version came out that did sync, it was poor at best. Finally about Aug of last year they came out with a version that actually worked. Every update since then has had flaws and because once an update is loaded on your PC, it puts files everywhere on your hard drive that can't be eliminate easily. Hence it doesn't work.
    I think that you are confusing something like Outlook.com (Hotmail) with the MS Outlook stand alone programs mentioned above. The only work around is if you have an Outlook.com account, you can download from the windows site, the Outlook Connector file, which links both MS Outlook and Outlook.com together and puts an "Outlook.com" folder and inbox on your PC. Once that is done with the wifi turned on, on the phone, you can sync back and forth to the outlook cloud and accomplish what you are talking about. Thanks for the posts though as it may be of help to someone else.
    daveycrocket likes this.
    04-09-14 01:57 PM
    Otherwise Link is one of my favorite parts of BB10.
    04-09-14 02:57 PM
    Hi Dave, thanks for painting a broader perspective on this situation. I do wish you could enjoy the experience with link the way it should be intended.

A few questions.
    - how often do you backup your device?
    - what operating system do you have on your computer?
    - what syncs and what doesn't?
    - what happens or messages that pop up when it isn't working the way it should at the time you were using the latest Link version?
    - does your computer recognize your BlackBerry as network drives who you connect it via usb cable?
    - have you tried it on a different computer?

Posted via CB10
    Hi Vigorous.
    I back up every couple of days
    I use windows 7 pro 64 bit and is up to date with the latest software.
    Now that I rolled link back it syncs everything version 1.2.2.13
    When I used the later version (or software release) 123_b022 after successfully syncing the first sync from the new install it failed on subsequent attempts, it took forever to work through the various calendar/contacts process, there was no error message as such just a note at the bottom of Link to say that the sync was unsuccessful with no other info. I reinstalled about 5 times before rolling back to the version I use now, I did a manual delete within the registry as well as the uninstall to remove any remnants.
    The computer has always recognised the phone but one driver doesn't install which I think is the "smart Phone" driver or it may be the "device" driver. But it goes through the process and the phone connects without issue and the sd card is recognised as a drive. I connect with a USB have wifi turned off in link.
    I haven't tried a different PC.
    Please note the version 123_b022 wasn't prompted by Link as an update, I downloaded it (several times) from BlackBerry. This made me wonder if I was actually meant to install this version so wondered if it was a regional release.
    It maybe however that it placed a record of install into the update system so that it doesn't prompt perhaps I missed it in the registry clear out.
    I appreciate your interest in what turns out to be a frustrating and un-nerving issue.
    It probably is caused as discovered by go1ndr by rouge pictures and logos. Cheers
    04-09-14 04:51 PM
    There are still some of us who store "sensitive" information in the notes section of Outlook that should not be vulnerable in a "cloud like" environment. Desktop worded flawlessly for me with the previous platforms and I expected the same with Link. Now we understand that "stuff" happens but after a year of touting what is a great platform in OS 10, to have Link continue in its current state is absolutely disgusting. One begins to feel like a "sucker" supporting BB under these circumstances especially now that Chen has chosen to focus more on what he refers to as "Prosumers."

I've been using BB since 2004 and I don't like what's happening: Link stinks and T-MO's license has not been renewed. I don't care what T-MO started but not renewing the license was not a way for Chen to end it. A lot of customers who use the devices for business are now excluded from the number one price leader in the US Carrier industry.
    daveycrocket likes this.
    04-09-14 05:49 PM
    There are still some of us who store "sensitive" information in the notes section of Outlook that should not be vulnerable in a "cloud like" environment. Desktop worded flawlessly for me with the previous platforms and I expected the same with Link. Now we understand that "stuff" happens but after a year of touting what is a great platform in OS 10, to have Link continue in its current state is absolutely disgusting. One begins to feel like a "sucker" supporting BB under these circumstances especially now that Chen has chosen to focus more on what he refers to as "Prosumers."

I've been using BB since 2004 and I don't like what's happening: Link stinks and T-MO's license has not been renewed. I don't care what T-MO started but not renewing the license was not a way for Chen to end it. A lot of customers who use the devices for business are now excluded from the number one price leader in the US Carrier industry.
    I total get what you are saying the problem is that to my knowledge no other platform offers a stand alone backup sync suite.
    In my view all data in the cloud is vulnerable however we attempt to minimise the risks, catch 22.
    04-09-14 06:24 PM
    @ go1ndr ..searched for fire chest in BBW but could not find it... google it...and reached their site FireChestDotCom | Mind-blowing apps for BlackBerry 10 .... a direct link from that site is also not working....might be some maintenance issue..... meanwhile i would like to know how to add a new contact in Z 10 in a specific contact list (a particular email address) that i used to do in BBOS 7... i could not find any option of contact list while adding a new contact in my device... i tried searching the forums but is always left with millions of post within which i am unable to find out the required one... it will be nice if anybody can help me in this regard or at least point out the link of any post in this forum.... cos if that can be done then with my gmail account everything gets grouped as well as sync ed ...
    04-12-14 05:58 AM
    This is fine unless you don't want your contact information in the "cloud". Many don't care, but for others it's an issue, and not without good reason.
    05-11-14 01:05 PM
    Vgorgous: Both Davey and myself, along with many, many others have tried every solution. I like him cannot (at least should not) use a cloud system like Hotmail (now called Outlook.com) or Yahoo/Gmail, etc. I am in the insurance and security business and like Davey, I have to keep our contacts out of the cloud and safely in Outlook. The old Desktop Manger Software did a great job of syncing, backing up and restoring, Outlook desktop versions (2003/2007/2010/ 2013) with the OS 7 phones. That ended when they brought out BBLink! Their idea was good but they never really built it correctly. For the first 6+ months it didn't even sync at all with Outlook Desktop and then when a version came out that did sync, it was poor at best. Finally about Aug of last year they came out with a version that actually worked. Every update since then has had flaws and because once an update is loaded on your PC, it puts files everywhere on your hard drive that can't be eliminate easily. Hence it doesn't work.
    I think that you are confusing something like Outlook.com (Hotmail) with the MS Outlook stand alone programs mentioned above. The only work around is if you have an Outlook.com account, you can download from the windows site, the Outlook Connector file, which links both MS Outlook and Outlook.com together and puts an "Outlook.com" folder and inbox on your PC. Once that is done with the wifi turned on, on the phone, you can sync back and forth to the outlook cloud and accomplish what you are talking about. Thanks for the posts though as it may be of help to someone else.
    Go1ndr: Please share if the 1.2.3.48 version of Link resolved your calendar and contacts sync issues with Outlook.
    05-18-14 07:46 AM
    Link stopped working again...really fed up.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-14 06:12 PM
    Link stopped working again...really fed up.

Posted via CB10
    In what sense?

Today, I rebooted my work computer for the first time on 1.2.3.48. It was the first time I didn't see the CPU using 25% for a few minutes after booting to desktop. I'd say I had that CPU problem for a year or more.

So that makes me happy.
    05-22-14 06:18 PM
    Works flawlessly for me! I use Remote Access every day

Short Stories and Similar Submissions, a Channel dedicated to creative writing and constructive critique C003CC54C. Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    05-22-14 06:42 PM
    Do you sync contacts?

Posted via CB10
    05-22-14 06:53 PM
    Do you sync contacts?

Posted via CB10
    If you're referring to me, no. I manage all my contacts through Google.

I use link to sync music, documents, pictures, and Remote Access. The latter on a daily basis.

Short Stories and Similar Submissions, a Channel dedicated to creative writing and constructive critique C003CC54C. Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    05-23-14 08:47 PM
    Sorry Campbecw...I should have referred to you...I have no issues with back ups, media, remote access...it's just the contacts. It will work well for awhile and then I hit a wall. I also use the Outlook Connector which should probably be my main way to sync contacts. I just hope Link improves in the future. It's probably the weakest aspect of BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-14 07:23 AM
    I've avoided Outlook like the plague. It doesn't work very well on any device, unless set up perfectly and the stars are all aligned. Samsung Kies sucks as linking with Outlook. iTunes sucks at Outlook. Everyone is terrible at using outlook except the Windows Phone Desktop App for obvious reasons. I really just just hope work places abandon Outlook in the future and we don't have to deal with it ever again, haha.

And if you sense some rage there, its not you, obviously. I teach Smartphones or consumers and small businesses for a living and I run into the Outlook problem every week and it drives me nuts.
    05-24-14 05:00 PM
    Most of the time it's your Anti-virus software that is not letting you connect wirelessly. Disabling the firewall lets it run smoothly. Problem is...you just disabled your firewall.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-14 05:21 PM
    I total get what you are saying the problem is that to my knowledge no other platform offers a stand alone backup sync suite.
    In my view all data in the cloud is vulnerable however we attempt to minimise the risks, catch 22.
    iTunes still allows desktop synchronization and there are several clients for Android (e.g., MyPhoneExplorer) that allow secure, cloud-less synchronization.

For me, data security is not negotiable. In my business, I have to protect sensitive data. When BlackBerry OS 10 abandoned desktop sync, I had to go elsewhere. I would really like to get a Passport, but I cannot if it offers no way to securely sync my personal information with Outlook over the desktop.
    09-30-14 08:42 PM
43 12