Release an outstanding phone...the Z30...then back it up with the worst piece of crap ever.

Priceless.

Link is so buggy, fails to recognize Blackberry ID, remote file access won't work, sometimes syncs..other times won't.

Blackberry PLEASE fix this useless piece of garbage.
    Last edited by susqueduck; 04-05-14 at 09:37 PM.
    GreenCopperz and go1ndr like this.
    04-05-14 08:43 PM
    I agree, BlackBerry Link is horrible software, but honestly, I'd rather see them give use the ability to do those things on the device itself. For example, used to be BlackBerry Protect would back up all of the data I cared about. So I never bothered with having BlackBerry Desktop Manger when I was using legacy OS. I only needed app loader and shrink-an-OS for updates.

It is the same way with my Android devices. I can perform full back ups and restores using nothing but the device itself. I can move the back ups to dropbox and then re-download and restore at anytime. No PC or USB cable required.

That is where I want BlackBerry to head. Installing software on to my PC to manage a smartphone is something that I simply don't want to do anymore.
    04-05-14 08:52 PM
    Never had any issues with Link. Make sure the software is updated on the PC's or laptops you have.

Otherwise Link is one of my favorite parts of BB10.

Posted via CB10
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    04-05-14 08:53 PM
    Never had any issues with Link. Make sure the software is updated on the PC's or laptops you have.

Otherwise Link is one of my favorite parts of BB10.

Posted via CB10
    Me too... never faced any problems.... but i miss "BlackBerry Protect ".... sometimes i also feel about getting downgraded after upgrading to OS 10 from the legacy OS.. i wish the development team do something about it in the next release.... can anybody enlighten me in this regard.....

Posted via CB10
    04-05-14 10:37 PM
    I never had a problem with link for my Q10's or my playbooks. Perhaps it's your PC operating system

Q10 with Telus on 10.2.1.2141
    04-05-14 10:41 PM
    When starting link, I can't think of why it uses 25% cpu for 10 minutes.
    On my work PC, it's consistently using the most resources.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 01:57 AM
    All updates are on my computer. Link also does this weird thing of creating two network connections in my settings as well...that do nothing???
    04-06-14 08:16 AM
    One is A link between your phone and link that let's you pull files off your computer from anywhere you are if your computer is still on directly, No Box, No OneDrive, direct connection. So that is why there are 2 network ports. I have no problems with BBLink on Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit.
    04-06-14 08:21 AM
    Windows 7 and fixed my network setup and link has been working great, I had some issues but I think they were my setup.

Posted Via CB10 - Q10SQN100-1/10.2.1.2141
    04-06-14 08:26 AM
    Yes, I agree Link is not the best. When it works it is great. For the one year I have owned a Z10 I have had it work and then stop. I have posted using the Outlook Connector option but nobody seems to care. I hope Blackberry fixes this in the future or offers some type of cloud syncing option.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 04:58 PM
    One is A link between your phone and link that let's you pull files off your computer from anywhere you are if your computer is still on directly, No Box, No OneDrive, direct connection. So that is why there are 2 network ports. I have no problems with BBLink on Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit.
    The one connection on my desktop always shows that a "network cable is unplugged".

I wonder how the average user who is not a Blackberry/Crackberry addict puts up with this software?
    04-06-14 07:06 PM
    I never had a problem.. maybe i'm not using it right..?? lol
    04-06-14 07:14 PM
    Synching is just plain broken so don't try it. Copy to device/computer is the only way to avoid endless duplicate copies of everything everywhere
    Raddin likes this.
    04-06-14 07:54 PM
    Synching is just plain broken so don't try it. Copy to device/computer is the only way to avoid endless duplicate copies of everything everywhere
    This may be an issue with social contact lists becoming duplicated, I believe there are issues listed in the help files about this. also "go1ndr" gives a comprehensive "fix" for this in one of his Posts. Sorry if its nothing to do with it, hope its helpful.
    go1ndr likes this.
    04-07-14 12:09 PM
    I just mentioned this somewhere else and Link is freaking awesome for me.

Whenever I connect my BlackBerry via usb cable, it will prompt me for a password then my BlackBerry will pop up under "My Computer" as Y and Z drives.

Once that's been established, my BlackBerry drives will still be visible even if I disconnect the cable. Therefore, I can still drag and drop files from my computer to my BlackBerry using wifi.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 01:46 PM
    I agree, BlackBerry Link is horrible software, but honestly, I'd rather see them give use the ability to do those things on the device itself. For example, used to be BlackBerry Protect would back up all of the data I cared about. So I never bothered with having BlackBerry Desktop Manger when I was using legacy OS. I only needed app loader and shrink-an-OS for updates.

It is the same way with my Android devices. I can perform full back ups and restores using nothing but the device itself. I can move the back ups to dropbox and then re-download and restore at anytime. No PC or USB cable required.

That is where I want BlackBerry to head. Installing software on to my PC to manage a smartphone is something that I simply don't want to do anymore.
    Fire Chest does this as well on the phone itself. Download from BBW-its free- and you can back up contacts, calendar and documents and restore them when needed.
    daveycrocket, Raddin and sum one like this.
    04-08-14 06:53 PM
    Yes, I agree Link is not the best. When it works it is great. For the one year I have owned a Z10 I have had it work and then stop. I have posted using the Outlook Connector option but nobody seems to care. I hope Blackberry fixes this in the future or offers some type of cloud syncing option.

Posted via CB10
    see your post for my reply to Outlook Connector and how to set it up.
    04-08-14 06:55 PM
    I personally think that BBLink is a program that is just waiting to explode and take your information with it. I have worked with Link since it's inception and there has never been a completely reliable version. There have been versions that worked but not all modules of it worked. Some did in fact sync calendars and contacts but then would just stop for no reason at all. Now we are in the midst of the worse version out yet, and even though some of the users are not having any issues with it, the majority are-hence the many, many threads on it. Blackberry is well aware of the problem and have now (this week) decided that it is "rouge" contacts that have pictures or logos on them. Well since I use my Outlook and Q10 for business, I have over 1000 + contacts that I need to sync daily and many of them have pictures of the individual or their company logo. I will not delete these contacts or try to remove their pictures in order for this program to work correctly. See the many threads on this and the poster that discovered this current fix from BB this week. Unacceptable in my case. I had to download Hotmail (Outlook) Connector and use my personal Outlook.com account to link with my business Outlook 2007 Desktop program in order to be able to sync my contacts. This is only short term as due to my business, I should not have my contacts in any cloud based service, which Outlook.com actually is. Still it works for the time being but I certainly shouldn't have had to go this route nor should the other poster that mentions it. I still am able to use an older version of Link to sync my calendar but contact will not work period. Hopefully they will get this fixed with the upcoming newer versions of Link but I'm not holding my breath as it doesn't seem to be a priority to them. Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth on it. If you need to sync, try the outlook.com (really good program) in conjunction with your current Outlook 2007/10/13 desktop client. Good luck and I hope this helps a little bit.
    MPF94025 and daveycrocket like this.
    04-08-14 07:06 PM
    I personally think that BBLink is a program that is just waiting to explode and take your information with it. I have worked with Link since it's inception and there has never been a completely reliable version. There have been versions that worked but not all modules of it worked. Some did in fact sync calendars and contacts but then would just stop for no reason at all. Now we are in the midst of the worse version out yet, and even though some of the users are not having any issues with it, the majority are-hence the many, many threads on it. Blackberry is well aware of the problem and have now (this week) decided that it is "rouge" contacts that have pictures or logos on them. Well since I use my Outlook and Q10 for business, I have over 1000 + contacts that I need to sync daily and many of them have pictures of the individual or their company logo. I will not delete these contacts or try to remove their pictures in order for this program to work correctly. See the many threads on this and the poster that discovered this current fix from BB this week. Unacceptable in my case. I had to download Hotmail (Outlook) Connector and use my personal Outlook.com account to link with my business Outlook 2007 Desktop program in order to be able to sync my contacts. This is only short term as due to my business, I should not have my contacts in any cloud based service, which Outlook.com actually is. Still it works for the time being but I certainly shouldn't have had to go this route nor should the other poster that mentions it. I still am able to use an older version of Link to sync my calendar but contact will not work period. Hopefully they will get this fixed with the upcoming newer versions of Link but I'm not holding my breath as it doesn't seem to be a priority to them. Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth on it. If you need to sync, try the outlook.com (really good program) in conjunction with your current Outlook 2007/10/13 desktop client. Good luck and I hope this helps a little bit.

Hey, maybe I can suggest something for you.

Do you have an email account?

I have a Hotmail account and whenever I create something like an ongoing event, or reminder on the calendar; I make sure I put it under my Hotmail account. I do the same with my phone numbers and contacts.

So whenever I decide to install a leak. I wipe my phone, install the new OS, then I just reenter my email account info and all my phone numbers, calendars, tasks and notes are sync'd again.

It's not as complicated as people think.

I just want others to enjoy their experience as much as I do. Link is just absolutely great for me.

Let me know if there's anything I can do for you.

Also just to add, I too have a work email on my phone using Microsoft Exchange active sync. I have plenty of business numbers in there. Any business contacts, they are stored in that email account, as well are my calendar events.

Posted via CB10
    go1ndr likes this.
    04-08-14 09:56 PM
    Link for me has been unreliable garbage since the day it launched (on the Mac anyway). Doesn't remove music right. Wants to re-encode videos that play fine normally. Doesn't sync contacts right. Quits in the middle of backups. Often has USB connectivity issues. Randomly detects updates that have already been reinstalled. Hangs. Crashes. MEsses up my album art in random ways.

I honestly can't think of a part of BlackBerry 10 I hate worse than this utter piece of junk. This goes beyond normal feature enhancements or slightly annoying defects. On the Mac for me, it usually never works right.
    04-08-14 10:09 PM
    This makes sense to me and may account for the random way that link appears to stop working after working for a while. so we need this fixing, I don't pretend to know how, but Link is a really important part of my life work.
    My guess is it is something to do with security, 1000 + contacts to keep track of isn't funny.

Because of the nature of my business I tend to not use Logos or pictures to much, but as you are aware the latest Link stopped working for me as well so I use the next version down which thankfully is flawless.

I was wondering if there is some way of eliminating logos and pictures on a custom backup (tick box) just to highlight the problem (then reinstall via back up).
    Again I don't pretend to understand why link would back up a Rouge image but refuse to sync it.
    regards J
    dave
    go1ndr likes this.
    04-09-14 05:00 AM
    Maybe it's just that I don't get something here, but I'm going to say it again.

Couldn't you guys just store your contacts in an email account?

I really want to help. It's driving me nuts seeing people complain that it isn't working right.

I believe with apple you are given an option to use a cloud account to store those kinds of information (calendar, contacts, tasks). You using an email account would be your "cloud".

Benefits?
    - real-time backup
    (eg: you add a new contact to your phone, as long you put it under your email account, it will update your contacts. Versus you adding contacts to your phone, your contact list that's in your computer and what's on your phone will be different. The only way to update your backup would be when you go to your computer and connect to link. What happens if you added 20 contacts on your phone and your phone is stolen or breaks before you could back it up to link? You are sh.t outta luck! )
    - restore will be effortless
    - link isn't necessary

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 07:41 AM
    Maybe it's just that I don't get something here, but I'm going to say it again.

Couldn't you guys just store your contacts in an email account?

I really want to help. It's driving me nuts seeing people complain that it isn't working right.

I believe with apple you are given an option to use a cloud account to store those kinds of information (calendar, contacts, tasks). You using an email account would be your "cloud".

Benefits?
    - real-time backup
    (eg: you add a new contact to your phone, as long you put it under your email account, it will update your contacts. Versus you adding contacts to your phone, your contact list that's in your computer and what's on your phone will be different. The only way to update your backup would be when you go to your computer and connect to link. What happens if you added 20 contacts on your phone and your phone is stolen or breaks before you could back it up to link? You are sh.t outta luck! )
    - restore will be effortless
    - link isn't necessary

Posted via CB10
    Firstly I really appreciate that you are trying to help.
    The reason that I cannot do as you suggest is that I live in the UK which has data protection rules that are compliant with EU regulations.
    What this means to me is that in order to protect my client data (contacts, appointments, backups, calendar's etc. etc.) I cannot upload to cloud storage which may be "outside" the European Union, if I do, then If breached I would be liable to prosecution for a breach of confidentiality.I would/may also lose my professional status.
    As I work in health my data must remain "in house" this means that I cannot transfer sensitive data via e-mail, given that a server connects to other servers in order for one domain to communicate with another all or some of which may be outside the EU.
    Some of the difficulties can be dealt with by anonymizing but this isn't possible with contact detail like phone numbers addresses etc.
    There are many other professions around the world that whilst not the same have restrictions on how data is handled, from what go1ndr suggests he has similar difficulties with data handling.
    Because of these security issues I choose a BlackBerry phone a Z30 (fab phone) mainly as it is one of the only mobile devices which has this "in house" capability. Nokia and Sony used to do this but sadly no longer, yes there are some third party applications which also have this capability but none have the permissions to access the API's of BlackBerry 10.
    The problem is further made difficult as at times I have to produce various text or otherwise messages to court, by nature these need to have accurate data which is original rather than collected by third party software as this tends to lose some of their data properties.
    Link provides me with as good as it can be "in house" data that I can access via backups and "in house" synchronisation via my PC.
    But thanks for your input, if you can find any other solution I and many others are all ears.
    go1ndr and vgorous like this.
    04-09-14 11:16 AM
    Only thing I dislike is the startup time for link. Then again my laptop is a few years old so it might be my laptop that's to blame for this.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 11:36 AM
    Fire Chest does this as well on the phone itself. Download from BBW-its free- and you can back up contacts, calendar and documents and restore them when needed.
    Thank you! I will investigate it.
    04-09-14 11:45 AM
43 12