View Poll Results: are you having problems with Desktop Manager 6?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • I was, but it's all better now.

6 4.96%
  • yes and the problems continue.

98 80.99%
  • no, worked from the start.

17 14.05%
02-08-11 12:18 AM
58 123
tools
    I went back to 5 after I figured out "3rd party app sync" option was missing and I couldn't sync my Palm Desktop with my BB Bold 9700. That's critical for me, I have hundreds of seminar/talk notes that I need on my handheld. Having said that the installation of DM6 made a mess of my desktop AND my handheld.

For starters, DM 6 didn't go in clean, so I had to go back to a previous version only to get the Fatal Error when trying to use the Application Loader. (Additionally, the DM6 upgrade removed Tasks and Memos from my BB device and after a lot of time consuming work and headache, I had to send it back to Bell for repairs. But that's a different story)

How I fixed the DM Application Loader "Fatal Error" problem:

I uninstalled the DM (full clean uninstall: KB02206-How to perform a clean uninstall of the BlackBerry Desktop Software)

Then I installed the version I wanted. This took several hours, getting hung on the 'downloading module' part and ended with an error that it didn't install properly. There was still no App Loader.

THEN...I re-clicked on the DM installation application AGAIN and picked REPAIR this time. It zipped through the installation and ended successfully.

I then went to the App Loader and THERE IT WAS! It needed to do some more installation to prepare for the handheld - which completed successfuly .

After reconnecting the handheld, I clicked on the Application Loader and it updated the handheld properly.

And VOILA! It worked.

It was time consuming, pernickity and annoying. But, in the end it worked. Hope this helps any others with the same problem.
    10-05-10 08:45 AM
    This is absurd that this is not yet resolved by RIM. Even the latest DM 6.01.021 is still having this problem of crashing immediately upon launch. Different PCs, multiple OS platforms, completely different hardware. ABSURD. I've spent hours trying various "fixes" including manually removing all RIM associations from the registry before reinstalling, and even, my latest attempt, a complete hard drive format and clean install of Vista Ultimate. still no luck.

This new Torch is about to be returned and exchanged for an Android phone. My wife may not like that, but I'm sick of dealing with a known issue that has not been resolved even after successive version release "fixes".
    01-22-11 02:40 PM
    Tried to go back to previous versions and no luck. Removed the software using control panel and reinstalled 5.0 from way back, I was using 6.0 (I think version .47, I believe it was the first one released) and it was working great, but not after I re-installed it after this latest "upgrade". Running Win XP sevice Pack 3> now no way to get BB Desktop to work at all in any version!! Just sits there for a long time and finally generates a message that it must close due to an error and generates an error report to Microsoft. Even tried an old restore point within Windows without any luck. Boo!!!!
    Last edited by firebored; 01-23-11 at 12:10 PM.
    01-23-11 12:04 PM
    I originally had no problems with this software (or the minor issues were minor enough that I didn't notice them), but this past week DM stopped synching anything between my device and Outlook. My calendar, contacts, etc.

Finding this thread is a kick in the head. Does anyone have a link handy for DM 5? I think it's probably easier; it doesn't look like RIM is able to get their sh!t together...
    02-01-11 08:26 AM
    DM 6 worked fine for me for about 2 months and then simply would not start. I got the dreaded "Desktop Manager has encountered a problem and needs to close..." message right at startup and it would never load.

I spent at least 20 some hours on the the phone with BB tech support and became an expert in how to uninstall and reinstall the program, even to the point of sending them logs and event files, only to find out that they just couldn't make it work... no matter what they tried.

I went back to 5.0 and it works fine... Seems like they would have their code together a lot better than they actually do, but oh well..........
    02-03-11 08:12 PM
    I originally had no problems with this software (or the minor issues were minor enough that I didn't notice them), but this past week DM stopped synching anything between my device and Outlook. My calendar, contacts, etc.

Finding this thread is a kick in the head. Does anyone have a link handy for DM 5? I think it's probably easier; it doesn't look like RIM is able to get their sh!t together...
    Here's a link to 5.0, and a bunch of the other versions as well...

Hope it helps.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...37FAF6CD.node2
    02-03-11 08:16 PM
    no issues here, thank god
    02-04-11 05:15 PM
    I cant even get the flipping thing to open with the latest update.

I never had issues before.....
    02-08-11 12:18 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD