I have recently installed the CD and I am wondering if it will let me back-up the notepad/memos and save text messages that I have??
    02-22-10 03:32 PM
    It will save them, but only as a backup. You wouldn't be able to read the data except on your BB.
    02-22-10 04:00 PM
    Do frequent backups to stay on the safe side.
    02-22-10 04:06 PM
    I just did a backup. I just wanna make sure that if my Blackberry ever crashed - that it will have my saved SMS and memos.
    02-22-10 04:10 PM
    Congratulations, you are now protected from data loss.

You can view the database with Advanced Restore or, on your BlackBerry:

Options / Status. Menu / Database sizes.

02-22-10 04:27 PM
    So it's not possible to view them from a computer?
    Sorry, kinda of new at this.
    02-22-10 06:11 PM
    No. You would need synchronize your BB with a PIM such as Outlook. There are several sync options available in DM.
    02-23-10 07:00 AM
    I'm pretty new with installing this Desktop Manager myself...actually did it last night and I plugged in my phone to the laptop and it kept asking me for my device password...I kept on putting it in several times then all of sudden my phone went to "wiping" on the screen...I panicked and took apart the phone cause I was afraid my phone was getting wiped out with all the data in it. I'm a new Blackberry customer and have no idea what is going on. I am going to bring it back to the repair center today to see what happened...but someone on here would be able to tell me cause let me tell you I'm ready to get rid of this phone now and going back to a plain simple phone and not have to worry about backing up all the time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-10 07:11 AM
    Did you (or someone) put a password on your BB? If not, when ever you see a pop up asking for a password when your BB is connected to a computer, you can just hit cancel or ignore it.

If there is a password, you get 10 shots at entering it (someone correct me on the number if I'm wrong) before your BB will automatically wipe itself. This is a built in security feature.

As for how to use your BB, here is the best place to start:

Blackberry 101 How-To Lecture Series
    02-23-10 07:20 AM
    I did put in a 4 digit security code when I received the phone but the computer would not take my password when I was trying to back up my data in DM...thats when I got frustrated and kept on entering it in and then the screen went white and said "wiping"...Im really pissed cause I did not know these phones wipe out after attempts of a security code. This means that everything deleted and cannot be salvaged when I bring it back to the service center? I shouldve never gotten a blackberry...

02-23-10 07:30 AM
    Do not forswear BB's after one bad experience. They are very versatile phones. Get your BB working again and go through the 101 Lecture Series.

Also, you have come to right places. You won't find another site with so many people who will help you and stick with it until a solution is found to any problem.

Since you started a separate thread, I suggest you stick to posting there to get the best help.
    02-23-10 07:35 AM
    I did put in a 4 digit security code when I received the phone but the computer would not take my password when I was trying to back up my data in DM...thats when I got frustrated and kept on entering it in and then the screen went white and said "wiping"...Im really pissed cause I did not know these phones wipe out after attempts of a security code. This means that everything deleted and cannot be salvaged when I bring it back to the service center? I shouldve never gotten a blackberry...

If I had to guess....

You were probably using a code containing numbers.

You never pressed the alt button when pressing the numbers on the Blackberry.

So something you might have thought was "1234", would have actually been "wers".
    03-12-10 11:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD