I took out the battery and reinserted and it took a good long 10-15 minutes, but it finally booted.

Don't know what took so long, or why it seemed to refuse to before, but if everything else went according to description and you get stuck at Hour Glass, don't give up and try to cash in on whatever good karma you've got stored up.

-Amanda
    03-12-10 04:21 PM
    I'm on a Storm 9530. I've tried re-installing through Windows... tried all the above steps on the Mac side... probably 7 hours of troubleshooting, and I can't get this to go past the 507 error.

These are just the most darn awful phones. I just got this back after five months of repair. That's right�it took RIM 5 months to repair this in Canada. And now the thing simply can't get past the error stage.

A waste of time and money. My last BlackBerry, for sure.
    03-17-10 07:20 AM
    im not sure what un-bricking means, but i got a storm and when i got it. it required me to make a password. i am on my phone too much checking emails/text etc... i just tried to do something similar to this.. well it kinda sounded like it. anyways, i know how to put on and take off the passwords normally. but this one doesn't give me the option... if you wipe the handheld. as soon as it comes back up it prompts you to make a new pw. if you know how to do it or know of anyone that knows how i would greatly appreciate some help. here is my email which would be the fastest way to get ahold of me cjohannemann AT hotmail.com. being that im new to this it won't allow me to post my email.
    03-18-10 01:42 AM
    im not sure what un-bricking means, but i got a storm and when i got it. it required me to make a password. i am on my phone too much checking emails/text etc... i just tried to do something similar to this.. well it kinda sounded like it. anyways, i know how to put on and take off the passwords normally. but this one doesn't give me the option... if you wipe the handheld. as soon as it comes back up it prompts you to make a new pw. if you know how to do it or know of anyone that knows how i would greatly appreciate some help. here is my email which would be the fastest way to get ahold of me cjohannemann AT hotmail.com. being that im new to this it won't allow me to post my email.
    unbricking is when the phone has a white screen and is giving you an error message.

to remove the password you just go to password under options i believe
    03-31-10 11:46 PM
    Thank you thank you thank you. My Storm bricked after a suggested update from vodafone failed - I think because the link provided was the windows way of doing it. Their solution was for me to post it to them to sort (so I would have been stormless in a storm-filled world for at least 10 days)... now my phone is working better than before the problem.
    04-03-10 06:21 AM
    thank you for posting these directions. unfortunately, i gave up too early before finding them and went to the verizon store. like someone said earlier in this thread, i was able to get my phone replaced and i had the rep at the store load the 5.0 OS for me there so i wouldnt have to bother with it anymore...

i often find myself wondering why RIM (or whoever...) doesnt make the mac DM better since so many of us have these problems?
    04-05-10 06:20 PM
    I figure with everyone now experimenting with loading Betas and Hybrid OS's onto their devices you guys might run into some bricking

Well I have done some experimenting with beta's and such and have bricked my phones more times than i have actually updated them but here is how i recovered the phone WITHOUT a PC.

The Wipe Stage:
    1. First delete all OS's from your computer. Go to:

Your name > Library > Application Support >BlackBerry Desktop >Device Applications

2. Delete all the OS's in the folder and empty the trash.

IF you were not loading a Beta/Hybrid and you have the NON TAMPERED OS on your computer then you dont need to do this.

3. Remove the Battery from the Phone

4. Plug the phone in via USB. At this point you will see the screen come on and have a Battery icon with a red line through it. Also DM will open up because it detects a BB. It will say "Waiting for device to Start" for a while. Ignore it but dont leave your computer.

5. After about 5 min or so DM will prompt you for the password to your device if you have one. From there it will ask you what OS you want to load onto the device. It will then begin the process of Downloading the files.

During this time the phone will usually shut off automatically before the program can finish downloading the files. You have to disconnect the device and quit out of DM. Re-plug in the device and it will sit for a moment before going through step #5 again. Sometimes this has to be done 2-3 times.

6. After the OS is downloaded the program will begin loading it onto the phone. At this point the phone will shut off again and the wipe process is essentially complete.

7. The program will then say waiting on device to start. At this point you put in the battery. You may see the program say that the phone has disconnected but thats ok as it starts back up it will reconnect to the program.

At this point whatever App Error you have been getting usually now displays as app error 5xx Reload Software.

8. After sitting for a bit the program will prompt you for the password and begin loading the software onto the device. It is IMPERATIVE that you do nothing really during this time on your computer that could possibly mess with the loading process. It takes about 10 min or so to load the software and all the apps. You will NOT have any data restored you will have to run a restore afterwards.

Thoughts:

The battery thing was something i decided to try after tons of times trying to get it to connect with the battery in and the phone not doing anything but sitting there with the app error. I believe the battery being out prevents whatever is on the phone causing the problem from loading and allows the CPU to connect directly to and flash the RAM. That kind of explains why when the battery is re-inserted it then tells you that there is no OS that is loaded.

For those experimenting with Hybrids

I would highly suggest backing up your phone first. After that be sure to include the .sfi file into the Mac version of the JAVA folder. Sometimes if you extract the OS the COD files are in a separate folder and i believe the .sfi file is the radio file unless i'm mistaken.

To App Developers

Please dont let this walk-through feel that its unnecessary to create a program that makes all of this easier for us mac users
    Well...I know that this was posted some time ago, and it was still amazingly helpful as I just bricked my 9550 messing around with some hints and apps from this site. That is one of the great things about this site...it goes from "BrickBerry.com" (as some of the VZW techs have referred to this site) to "CrackBerry.com" where the abundance of info and people is extraordinary...thank you all.

I got to a point where, after having the white reset screen come on and then the phone starting to reset endlessly, I pulled the battery. I knew I need help and found this post. After hooking the phone up to my computer and starting the DM, the DM asked at if I wanted to upgrade, which I did, and the latest os began downloading. The problem was that during the JVM reconnect stage (3rd stage if memory serves), the process kept stopping and asking for a password. Frustrated, as I don't know if I have one and wouldn't know it if I needed it, I started over. This time, while the system was downloading, I slipped the battery back in and it whizzed through the rest of the process. Got it installed, popped in my latest backup file from DM an I now have a clean system.

Again, many thanks. Crack/BrickBerry rules!!!
    Last edited by Steve54; 07-26-10 at 04:49 PM.
    07-26-10 04:42 PM
    Hello, all.

Since this thread has some good information about the White Screen; I figured I would ask about the Black Screen with the Red Light Blinking.

Now I did do a search that states that one could "Re-Install" the OS to a nonworking blackberry using a PC; however, I was wondering if one has figured out how to do it using a MAC.

Any suggestions (besides the whole buy a PC would be much appreciated).

Thank you in advance.
    08-01-10 07:11 PM
    I reach the part where I have to insert my password and after numerous attempts it keeps saying my password is wrong (although i'm pretty sure that's not the case).

I'm down to 2 attempts now. Is there a way to bypass this stage?
    08-21-10 02:33 AM
    Hello, I have a BlackBerry Curve 8520 on Snow Leopard using the latest BB software and it is bricked with App Error 523.

I attempted to use these steps to reload the OS, but I can't get past the battery icon. It just sits there and does nothing. No Desktop Manager, no errors, just endless battery icon.

What do I do?
    01-24-11 12:28 PM
    So I just got a Blackberry 8350i. Came with 4.6 on it. Put my sim card and a 16 gig Micro SD card in it and it fired up. Hooked it to my Mac, following the "boostberry" sticky on this website. The Mac DM asked if I wanted to upgrade to OS 5.0. I said yes.

That was a major mistake. I've now got a Brickberry with a 507 error. I've tried following these instructions with the battery in, and the battery out. Tried reinstalling 5 and "upgrading" to 4.6.

4.6 gives me a white screen and a 507, 5 gives me a partial thermometer and a 507.

Regardless of which OS I use the DM seems to die halfway through the update.

I suppose I can try and hunt down a PC to do this on but it wouldn't be my first choice.

(Update...)

I never could restore the 8350i on my Mac. Ended up installing a second drive in my tower and putting Windows on it. That unbricked the Blackberry quickly, with some new service books I'm happily cruising along on Boost Mobile...
    Last edited by Old_Mil; 02-16-11 at 05:50 PM.
    02-14-11 09:11 PM
    You saved my life bro
    05-16-11 09:53 PM
    I have the battery icon but the DM just asks:

The BlackBerry� Desktop Software cannot connect with this device.

If this device is rebooting or has a dead battery, click Retry to attempt to reconnect once the device reboots.

If clicking Retry doesn't connect the device, or the device isn't rebooting with a charged battery, you might need to update your BlackBerry� Device Software to correct the problem.

You can also click Cancel to stop trying to connect your device with the BlackBerry Desktop Software. To try again, you'll need to disconnect and reconnect your device with your USB cable
    This won't go away! Any help? It's a Bold 9700.
    05-17-11 05:30 PM
    i dont see device applications when i go to "blackberry" i just see BBDaemon, BBlaunchagent etc and manager thats it?
    05-23-11 08:57 PM
    been lookin for this- thanks
    06-12-11 12:14 AM
    To get ALL the base apps you have to click the applications icon and when they appear check each one you want and reinstall them and it does yet another restart

And THEN you do a restore or you miss the preferences and files directed to those apps

This is a load of S**T
    I am going through **** with a 9900 - managed to reload the OS but a lot of apps were missing, including bb protect, youtube docs to go and others... so clicked on those that were missing DM starts but then I get this message every time "blackberry failed to validate blackberry device update aborting install due to validation failure some packages contained unsatisfied dependencies" so now what anyone???
    10-27-11 01:44 PM
    I am going through **** with a 9900 - managed to reload the OS but a lot of apps were missing, including bb protect, youtube docs to go and others... so clicked on those that were missing DM starts but then I get this message every time "blackberry failed to validate blackberry device update aborting install due to validation failure some packages contained unsatisfied dependencies" so now what anyone???
    I am having the same problem! HELP?!
    12-01-11 12:52 AM
    hello
    after putting devices password it says..CANNOT RECOVER BLACKBERRY DEVICE SOFTWARE
    THERE IS NO AVAILABLE SOFTWARE FOR YOUR BLACKBERRY DEVICE
    PLEASE TRY AGAIN LATER

i have deleted the os from the mentioned file
    plz help
    12-03-11 08:57 AM
93 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD