Ok people. If you are having problems. Giving us a massive posts about your whole life story is not going to help.

We need to know:
    How you are trying to connect: BT or USB
    Do you have BBDMM installed? What version
    Your Mac OS version number
    BB Model
    BB OS version
    What scripts you have installed and are selecting in the BT modem screen
    Anda short description that is simple and easy to read and understand of what the problem is
    10-24-09 07:08 PM
    Thanks Rayford!
    I figured out how to make the tethering working finally... It may be easier than you think, at least for me bold .247 + macbook unibody late2008 10.6.1 + 3 australia.
    What i did for the part of paring bold and macbook is exactly the same as Rayfold told us to do. Then in the following steps, i didn't use any customised modem script instead i use "RIM - ip modem (CDMA)" for my case. Since i have installed the BDM couple of weeks before. So the new script is in my modem list. NOTICE, before the success i tried a lot of times, the tethering is not working. I used 3netaccess for the apn, *99# for the telephone number and LEAVE THE USERNAME AND PASSWORD BLANK. What i did differently last night, i still used 3netaccess for the apn, *99# for the telephone number and GUEST FOR THE USERNAME AND GUEST FOR THE PASSWORD!!!! Before i always get a ppp server error, but since i use both guest for the username and password, the tethering finally burn to live!!!! I don't know what exactly the problem it is. I assume the authentication is a "must done" step anyway. If you just leave it blank, then the authentication suppose you didn't fill in the correct credential information. Any way, i am happy now. Thanks for Rayford and all you guys here! I wish my experience can help those who stuck in tethering, especially who leave in AUS and use 3. Cheers all!
    10-24-09 09:02 PM

We need to know:
    How you are trying to connect: BT or USB
    Do you have BBDMM installed? What version
    Your Mac OS version number
    BB Model
    BB OS version
    Anda short description that is simple and easy to read and understand of what the problem is
    Connecting with BT and USB. BT is fine. USB is painfully slow. It was full speed (same as the EVDO connection) prior to SL upgrade and comparable to VZAccess connects made on an XP machine.

BBDM is installed - V1.01 Build 2

Running SL 10.6.1

BB is 8330, carrier is VZW, just updated to latest 4.5 release yesterday via BDM.

Installed the BlackBerry Leopard Scripts (8100 8700 8800).ccl.zip scripts from this thread, tried 8800 per another VZW post here but it disconnects immediately with both BT and USB. "Generic Modem" and "Blackberry IP Modem (CDMA) both seem to connect.

The main issue is the slow (~100 kbps) USB speeds. Was 700-1200 kbps prior to SL upgrade (seemingly as fast as the connection was). Would like to figure out why things are so slow now and correct the issue.

Thanks!

Jack
    10-24-09 09:37 PM
    Ok i am looking into the issues about the PPD issues and modem scripts. Lately i have been running into PPPD issues with the bold 3g script and modem error on the BB IP modem script.

Looking into the issue.
    10-26-09 02:39 AM
    Any info on tethering a verizon tour. I got it to connect just fine, it just takes me to the page wanting me to sign up for the verizon tethering package...
    10-26-09 03:55 PM
    New Update: Note that with the new Mac Desktop Manager you can now USB tether
    Mr. Booth, 1st let me say that I've always been able to tether via BT even without the patch. Since I've seen the quote above, I've tried and tried to tether via USB with a Bold OS 4.6.0.297 on ATT and a MBP OSX 10.5.8, but to no avail. I'm not seeing the option under BBDM for Mac to tethering via USB, either on the leaked version of BBDM or the official version. Do I need to have SL 10.6 for this to be available? or did I miss something with uninstalling the leaked version and then re-installing the official version?

thanks in advance
    Paul
    10-30-09 08:00 PM
    The reason I've not been able to tether USB before is that I wasn't getting the message described in post #1 about the new device after installing BBDM. Well, today I tried again, and although I still did not get the message, I went ahead and opened network preferences and low and behold, there was the message. So, I'm in the game now, actually 5 games to be exact, just choose your flavor; tether via BT, tether via USB, tether via USB w/Tetherberry, or BT and/or USB with VMWare Fusion. Go figure, the lengths we'll go to have fun.
    10-31-09 09:24 PM
    ive tried this over 100 times and cant get it
    im on rogers with a bold 9000 running .314
    now when i connect the device it says a network moden cannot be setup and to manually add it, when i try to add one it only lets me add bluetooth pan do DUN, also ive never manged to get the same settings as the screen shots on page 1. help please
    11-04-09 06:59 PM
    nvm i just got it all worked out...still using bluetooth DUN but its working so im good
    11-04-09 07:39 PM
    Mr. Booth, 1st let me say that I've always been able to tether via BT even without the patch. Since I've seen the quote above, I've tried and tried to tether via USB with a Bold OS 4.6.0.297 on ATT and a MBP OSX 10.5.8, but to no avail. I'm not seeing the option under BBDM for Mac to tethering via USB, either on the leaked version of BBDM or the official version. Do I need to have SL 10.6 for this to be available? or did I miss something with uninstalling the leaked version and then re-installing the official version?

thanks in advance
    Paul
    It is not a option under BT options. When you plug your bold into your mac with the USB a warning comes up saying a new network device has been found. It is with that network device that you connect over USB
    11-06-09 10:29 PM
    nvm i just got it all worked out...still using bluetooth DUN but its working so im good
    Bluetooth DUN is the new name under snow leopard
    11-06-09 10:29 PM
    Hi,

Thanks for this post, and all the hard work you've done to answer people's questions.

I'm running:
    Mac OS 10.6.1
    Blackberry Pearl 8120 4.5.0.124
    T-mobile using blank Account Name & Password and wap.voicestream.com Phone Number
    Have pulled the battery and rebooted the mac as well.

I'm getting a PPP error: "A connection could not be established to the PPP server. Try reconnecting. If the problem continues, verify your settings and contact your Administrator."

Before installing Snow Leopard, I could connect reliably. I have followed the instructions as closely as I can, though Snow Leopard differs. For example, after BT pairing is complete, there is no screen with a checkbox for Access the Internet with your device, though I don't know if this matters. The next screen after pairing is successful, is the screen asking for Phone Vendor, Model, UN, PW, and Phone Number.

If I don't set up Bluetooth Network Preferences, there is no modem option available, even after installing the modem script.

The Bluetooth DUN Advanced Settings are also quite different in Snow Leopard, so it is difficult to know if they are set up correctly.

Any help you or folks on this board can provide would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by viallo; 11-10-09 at 09:07 PM. Reason: forgot a couple details
    11-10-09 08:38 PM
    It works amazingly.

Carrier: Digicel Saint Lucia
    Telephone No.: bizapps.digiceloecs.com
    Account name: wapoecs
    Password: wap03oecs

Even if you have the unlimited data plan, you must still have the carrier enable the feature that allows your BB to be used as a modem over the network. Don't stress, it's covered by the unlimited data package. This should work in all countries in the Eastern Caribbean where Digicel have a presence.

This is sweet.
    Hello JM,

I have a Digicel BB plan for Dominica and I am having problems using my BB as a modem. I have my BB browsing and email access ... all very 21st Century ... except the modem part.

I am using Bluetooth to connect.

Can I ask you for a few pointers?

Which modem script are you using? I cannot seem to find a good one. Does it have to be Digicel specific?
    Did you modify it in any way?
    I don't see a "Carrier" field? What OS are you using 10.4 or 10.5?
    What did you put in "Telephone number" field?
    Any other relevant info

Thanks.
    Last edited by DillingerForce; 11-13-09 at 01:06 PM.
    11-13-09 01:02 PM
    i did all the steps in this tutorial and everything went well but how do i use the conection from my phone? when i open network options[mac] and hit the bluetooth option it starts conecting but it sudentlly says disconecting

what is the username? in the main page in tmobile.com i log in using my phone number and password. do i use the phone number as username for this setup or my email or my name i have tried several combinations and nothing has worked also i have tried 1(000) 000-0000 and (000) 000-0000 and 000-0000 with or with out area code and 1 for long distance. obiously putting in my real number not 0's
    11-23-09 05:02 PM
    Ok i am looking into the issues about the PPD issues and modem scripts. Lately i have been running into PPPD issues with the bold 3g script and modem error on the BB IP modem script.

Looking into the issue.
    Hello, did you manage to find a solution to the PPP server problem with your configuration? I.e. BB Bold with 4.6.0.282 firmware and Snow Leopard 10.6.2?
    11-24-09 02:09 PM
    Hello, did you manage to find a solution to the PPP server problem with your configuration? I.e. BB Bold with 4.6.0.282 firmware and Snow Leopard 10.6.2?
    Found the solution to my problem. For those of you on Rogers, you need to populate the username and password for settings on the Mac in the Bluetooth DUN interface (despite the settings posted on BlackberryFAQ). Prior to doing this I was getting the infamous "PPP server error".

For Rogers:
    Username: wapuser1
    password: wap
    Telephone number: internet.com

For Blackberry:
    1. Options -> Advanced Options -> TCP
    2. Enable APN and put "internet.com"
    3. Leave username and password blank here

I have tested this successfully with the following configuration:
    Blackberry 9000 - 4.6.0.303
    Mac OSX - 10.6.2
    11-25-09 12:15 PM
    What about for the Verizon Blackberry Storm? OS X 10.5.8, Intel Macbook 13"
    11-25-09 10:05 PM
    Anyone able to connect with the TMO 9700? How?
    11-27-09 04:40 PM
    I was once able to BT connect fine and now am getting the "PPP server" issue on my Mac.

I am running

Bold OS 4.6.304
    and Mac 10.5.8

any ideas?
    11-28-09 01:41 PM
    config: default
    tel #: wap.cingular
    account name: wap.cingulargprs.com
    pw: CINGULAR1
    11-28-09 01:42 PM
    Great post! This worked perfectly for me!

My question is though, I had a tethering plan when I tethered my Tour to my PC. Now I connect to my Mac via Bluetooth, is a tethering plan still required if I am connecting via Bluetooth?
    12-02-09 01:52 PM
    Hello all,
    I still cant get it working, and was hoping someone could help.
    AT&T Curve 8300 ,version 4.5.0.110
    Snow Lep 10.6.2, out of the box, no patches installed
    Blackberry Desktop for MAC: 1.0.1 (build 2)
    8300 is not connected to the USP. Attempting BT connection.

Bluetooth DUN:
    Configuration: Default
    Telephone #: wap.cingular
    Account Name: wap @cingulargprs.com (without the space)
    Password: CINGULAR1

On the Phone:
    Options --> Advanced Options -->TCP
    APN: wap.cingular
    Username for APN: wap @cingulargprs.com (without the space)
    Password for APN: CINGULAR1

When I go to my network connections and try to connect the 8300, It dials the phone and I get:

"Your number can not be completed as dialed, please check the number..."

Any advise?
    Thank you.
    12-04-09 08:07 AM
    09-12-05 3:42:58 AM [0x0-0x21021].com.apple.systempreferences[214] System Preferences(214,0x7fff7006abe0) malloc: reference count underflow for 0x200461f40, break on auto_refcount_underflow_error to debug.

I've tried installing the ppp patch, but it won't work. Any suggestions? Thanks,

Alex
    12-05-09 05:44 AM
    How you are trying to connect: I've tried both BT and USB, would prefer instructions for BT

Do you have BBDMM installed? Yes - retrieved most recent vs from website about 2 weeks ago version 1.0.1

Your Mac OS version number: 10.6.2 Snow Leopard

BB Model: 9530 Storm 1

BB OS version: 5.0.328

Anda short description that is simple and easy to read and understand of what the problem is:

I downloaded the 8800 for my Storm but my Mac is saying I can't open the file! So, I have not installed any scripts. I wasn't clear if I needed them after I got the BT to work. I can access the internet using Bluetooth DUN however, I have slow speeds.

I went to speedtest.net, my results were:

PING - 304 MS
    DOWNLOAD - 0.29 MBPS
    UPLOAD - 0.07 MBPS

Would Bill's advice help increase my speed at all?

I have VZW and pay for my modem package. I have a Storm 9530 and a Macbook running Snow Leopard. (Keep in mind this worked while i was running Leopard 10.5 as well)

So, this definitely worked but i was still having timeout issues w/the bluetooth tethering so I started messing around of course.

I downloaded the latest version of VZ Access Manager for Mac (Verizon Wireless USB760 4.3.2) while i was in bluetooth mode. There was enough leeway for a midnight download w/o interruption or timeouts.

The problem w/VZAM is that it wont recognize the connected BB as anything except an extra drive when connected with the tethering cable. So i remembered that Pocket Mac does something funny when syncing. Some communication/traffic symbols appear on the BB. So after downloading and installing VZAM i connect the battery. I run the setup wizard (or it automatically does this for me) and at the point that i hit the "search for devices" section i run the sync for PocketMac. and Voila! it recognizes the connection as that of a data card and it goes through smoothly. it even updates the DUN settings in the network settings on my /mac all on its own.

so piggybacking off the syncing process for PocketMac I was able to get VZAM to work. It's awesome. there are no timeouts now and i can stay connected as long as i want. I can even text message w/o messing up my connection. If you take a call it will interrupt the session but that's a given. another cool thing is that in VZWs RevA covered areas i seriously peaked at like 3Mbps download speeds. no joke. i was trippin out when i was downloading some updates to some programs. but as stated before the standard dl speeds are a bit over 650kbps. i found it to work better than the bt tethering for me. you can even click the data usage buttons and get an update on your data usage for the month as well as the statistics button which is my favorite cuz it keep you on top your upload/download speeds!

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions on how to get this to work. i would have posted pictures, but as i'm connected right now i couldnt run the setup wizard to get some good screen shots. good luck!!
    Thanks!!
    Last edited by heylove47; 12-07-09 at 06:07 PM.
    12-07-09 05:45 PM
    Found the solution to my problem. For those of you on Rogers, you need to populate the username and password for settings on the Mac in the Bluetooth DUN interface (despite the settings posted on BlackberryFAQ). Prior to doing this I was getting the infamous "PPP server error".

For Rogers:
    Username: wapuser1
    password: wap
    Telephone number: internet.com

For Blackberry:
    1. Options -> Advanced Options -> TCP
    2. Enable APN and put "internet.com"
    3. Leave username and password blank here

I have tested this successfully with the following configuration:
    Blackberry 9000 - 4.6.0.303
    Mac OSX - 10.6.2
    this was it; this was the fix i needed!

tethering now works on my bold 5.0.0.314 with OSX10.6.2 after this fix!

thanks buddy
    12-11-09 03:30 AM
191 ... 45678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD