I have a problem.

Bold
    I read but did not follow the instructions in the first post in this thread because I believe I already successfully set up a Bluetooth connection. I could not follow the Advanced Mac Bluetooth Settings section because the pictures are no longer visible. But I think I have a unique problem.

When I go to the Advanced Bluetooth settings, I am choosing "Other" for the Vendor (there is no option for Research in Motion). However, I am not seeing the Blackberry Bold listed in the drop down menu for the phone model. Instead, I'm getting a list of literally hundreds of html files found in Terminal/Contents...

I downloaded the Blackberry Bold CID1 file, but I can't even access any models from that huge long list. It's like it's pointing to the wrong directory. It doesn't make sense to me why it would point to this odd directory. If I choose Apple as the vendor, then the model drop down menu shows the 4 proper choices you would expect. So, I'm not sure what the problem is.

Any help? I'd much appreciate it.
    10-06-09 08:14 PM
    You are in this problem because you did not follow the direction for setting up the modem script (BTW: THe modem script will also work for USB tether that you are able to do after you install the DM for mac.).

Download the 3G script. Unzip.
    Place the scrip in: HD > Library > Modem Scripts

Open network prefs
    In your BT DUN device (Assuming you have Snow Leopard installed, if you dont, then install the PPPD Patch in the first post.)

Fill out your login info for your carrier and click advanced. In the window select other in the modem vendor and then select Blackberry 3G CID1 under model.

click ok. Double check your info and press apply. Then press connect.

If this does not work. Be very specific about the error you are receiving.

In ref to your post. Please post some screen shots of what you are looking at. You have seem to got some odd issue that i am sure is you in the wrong location or you deleted some OS file that is required.
    10-07-09 01:51 AM
    Tour

Followed your instructions to the dot. I get two error messages: 1) Your connection failed. Try reconnecting. If the problem continues, verify your settings and contact your Administrator, and 2) The phone or network does not seem to support the GPRS options required for this script. For a little background, I used to tether all the time before I upgraded to Snow Leopard. I didn't even use any script. I connected successfully through BT and through USB (after installing the leaked Desktop Manager for Mac). But after the upgrade I started experiencing these problems. When I try to connect through USB it seems to stick for a couple seconds (it even shows "Modem Mode Enabled" on my phone!) and then it reverts to an error message. Any help would greatly be appreciated!
    10-07-09 02:24 AM
    Up until last Saturday, I was able to bluetooth tether my Curve to my Macbook. Now, I am unable to do so, with the connection continuing to load. My Curve, for about one second, will say "modem mode enabled" then it will disappear, and no connection will be established. I've been tethering since July, so it's not an issue of not knowing how to. I've also installed DM for Mac AFTER the bluetooth issue was occurring in hopes for a USB tether, but that is not working either. A solution to either problem would be great, since I'm a college student and use the internet for a WHOLE lot.

Blackberry Curve 8330

MacBook OS 10.5.7

Anything else you need to know, just reply.
    10-08-09 08:38 AM
    TO TAXAN:

Did you install the PPPD patch?

What error are you getting on the mac when you cant connect?
    Last edited by Rayford Booth; 10-08-09 at 01:03 PM.
    10-08-09 01:00 PM
    Tour

Followed your instructions to the dot. I get two error messages: 1) Your connection failed. Try reconnecting. If the problem continues, verify your settings and contact your Administrator, and 2) The phone or network does not seem to support the GPRS options required for this script. For a little background, I used to tether all the time before I upgraded to Snow Leopard. I didn't even use any script. I connected successfully through BT and through USB (after installing the leaked Desktop Manager for Mac). But after the upgrade I started experiencing these problems. When I try to connect through USB it seems to stick for a couple seconds (it even shows "Modem Mode Enabled" on my phone!) and then it reverts to an error message. Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Have you tried using a script now? I think it is the 8800 script that works for the tour.
    10-08-09 01:02 PM
    Got it working?
    10-09-09 11:41 PM
    G'Morning and Thanks in advance to all who contribute here!

I have been using USB tethering (yep, a wire) and Verizon's VZAccess Manager v4.3.2 to connect my BB 8330/Curve to connect to Verizon.

Let me say in advance that Verizon leads one to think that they don't support USB tethering for the BB, but I've been using it for over a year without trouble. I just loaded the software for a Motorola phone and tried it ...and it worked. I usually get about 600kb down and 256 up.

Yesterday I installed BB Desktop Manager for Mac on two of my three Macs. Didn't care for it so uninstalled using the provided "uninstaller".

Now, when I try to use Verizon's VZAccess Manager to tether my BB to the Mac as a wireless modem, it reports "No Wireless Device Detected".

I have a third, untouched Mac on which VZAccess Manager still works fine.

All Macs are running OS 10.5.8 and my BB 8330/Curve is running v4.5.0.138.

I'm pretty sure that BB Desktop Manager has changed something on the Macs where I installed it.

And, yes, I'm paying for it ($15/mo)

Anybody have an idea?

Have already tried unistalling and reinstalling clean copies of VZ Access Manager to no avail.

Again, Thanks to all who contribute.

The bad news is that time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot!
    10-11-09 12:18 PM
    Make sure the following are gone:
    ~/library/Application Support/Blackberry
    ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.rim.BBLaunchAgent.plist
    ~/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.rim.BBDaemon.plist
    ~Library/Preferences/com.rim.RIMBBUSB.plist
    ~Library/Preferences/com.rim.RIMBBVSB.plist
    ~Library/Preferences/com.rim.RimBlackberryUSB.plist
    ~Library/Preferences/com.rim.vsp.plist
    ~User/Library/Application Support/BlackBerryDesktop
    ~User/Library/Preferences/com.rim.blackberrydesktopmanager/plist
    ~User/Library/Preferences/com.rim.RimLaunchAgent/plist
    ~Library/Frameworks/RIM_VSP.framework
    ~Library/Frameworks/RimBlackberryUSB.framework.framework
    10-11-09 12:39 PM
    Mr. Booth, I am following the thread step by step in working on my Storm tether, but cannot figure out what:
    "Also did you set your APN settings on the blackberry? Settings > Advanced options > TCP/IP Set the settings to the same settings you used on the mac."
    means. I can find this on the BB, but can't find the settings in my mac. Help.
    10-12-09 03:40 PM
    Okay, I'm changing this post b/c I found the patch info--thank you for posting that information in your thread Rayford.

My BB Storm is paired with my MacBook Pro and I can transfer contacts, but I cannot get my modem to connect--it keeps saying "A modem error occurred. Please verify your settings and try again."

I don't know if I need the patch though or if my trouble is coming from the BlackBerry Desktop Manager. I upgraded my operating system and downloaded the Manager and then-- even after deleting my BB and pairing it again (fresh?) with my MacBook, it will not connect.

Any advice? Thanks for any help you can give me!
    Last edited by kdbMac; 10-14-09 at 04:28 PM.
    10-14-09 02:51 PM
    Make sure the following are gone:
    ~/library/Application Support/Blackberry
    ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.rim.BBLaunchAgent.plist
    ~/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.rim.BBDaemon.plist
    ~Library/Preferences/com.rim.RIMBBUSB.plist
    ~Library/Preferences/com.rim.RIMBBVSB.plist
    ~Library/Preferences/com.rim.RimBlackberryUSB.plist
    ~Library/Preferences/com.rim.vsp.plist
    ~User/Library/Application Support/BlackBerryDesktop
    ~User/Library/Preferences/com.rim.blackberrydesktopmanager/plist
    ~User/Library/Preferences/com.rim.RimLaunchAgent/plist
    ~Library/Frameworks/RIM_VSP.framework
    ~Library/Frameworks/RimBlackberryUSB.framework.framework
    Are these in the MacBook library? I can't find them and I'm having the same difficulty with not being able to tether after downloading BB Desktop Manager.
    10-14-09 04:22 PM
    Are these in the MacBook library? I can't find them and I'm having the same difficulty with not being able to tether after downloading BB Desktop Manager.
    They are either in the HD library or user library just as the path says....if you do not understand the post you shouldn't be messing around there....
    10-14-09 06:32 PM
    Thanks RayfordBooth and Statman for your guidance. I can now tether by usb between my BB and Mac.

Here are some notes:
    1. As RayfordBooth stated in his first post, BB Desktop Manager disrupts ones ability to tether by USB. But don't, as I originally did, uninstall BBDM, as IT IS REQUIRED FOR THE MAC TO RECOGNIZE THE BB AS PRESENT ON THE USB.

2. The BBDM also disrupts one's ability to use VZAccess Manager to connect to Verizon. This is a mixed blessing as I will describe later. With VZAccess Manager out of play, you will need to use the Mac's "Networking" tools (in the System Preferences) to dial (yes, one has to dial-in to connect) Verizon.

3. One must install the proper modem script to allow the Mac's "Networking" tools to dial Verizon. In my case, for the BB 8330 Curve I used the script for the BB 8800 in "BlackBerry Leopard Scripts (8100 8700 8800).ccl.zip" provided by RayfordBooth at the bottom of his his first post in this thread.

As I said, above, not using VZAccess Manager to connect to Verizon is a mixed blessing. On the plus side, the connection is made almost immediately upon clicking "connect" in the Network control box - whereas with VZAccess Manager takes 10 seconds or more.

On the minus side, VZAccess Manager has tools that allow one to check usage (remember, Verizon's tethering plan allows 5GB/month of accumulated upload and download - after which you are charged 25cents per MB.) Without VZAccess Manager one must log into Verizon's website and navigate thru multiple pages to see one's accumulated usage. Annoying but not impossible.

Again, thanks to all who contribute!

Russ
    Last edited by Macberry44; 10-15-09 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Spelling
    10-15-09 11:39 AM
    after i follow the basic steps and go to network preferecnes, i get bluetooth DUN, and it just tries connecting and doesnt stop....any suggestions
    10-16-09 08:57 AM
    GOT IT WORKING!!!

Configuration: Default
    Telephone #: wap.cingular
    Account Name: WAP @cingulargprs.com (without the space)
    Password: CINGULAR1

Change telephone # to wap.cingular

Should work !

Also, on Snow Leopard without the patch.

Does anyone know if it's possible for AT&T to catch me...?
    Works great on 10.6.1 with a Bold on ATT/Cingular with OS 5.0.0.238

Thanks.
    10-18-09 09:09 PM
    I can't seem to get tethering to work over BT.

Here's what I got:

• BlackBerry Tour - 9630 with Sprint
    • MackBook Pro with Snow Leopard 10.6.1
    • BlackBerry Desktop Manager 1.0.0 installed

Here's what I did:

1. Paired up the BlackBerry and the Mac
    2. Set up the Network Settings to be:
      Sprint
      Telephone Number: #777
      Account Name: Blank
      Password: Blank
    3. Clicked on connecting. BlackBerry showed both network and bluethooth activity, but ultimately failed with the message "An error occurred with the modem. Try reconnecting. If the problem continues, verify your settings and contact your Administrator."
    4. Downloaded BlackBerry Leopard Scripts (8100 8700 8800).ccl.zip and unzipped it to /Library/Model Scripts
    5. Rebooted both my BlackBerry and Mac
    6. Tried to connect but failed with the same message

I didn't unzip the BlackBerry Bold 3G.zip file because my phone is not Bold. And I didn't install the PPPD Fix.dmg.zip because Update message said no need to.

Now I'm stuck. I think it has something to do with the fact that BDM is installed.

Can anyone help me where I should go from here? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks even without it!!
    10-19-09 04:56 PM
    First off, thanks Rayford for taking the time to write this play by play out to help us. Here's my issue.

My setup:
    Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard 10.6.1
    Blackberry Curve 8330 v4.5.0.175
    Blackberry Desktop Manager 1.0 (about to upgrade to the 1.0.1)

I went thru the steps in the first thread to pair my blackberry. After doing so I went to System Preferences->Network->then I chose the Bluetooth DUN connection that was created. I clicked advanced and made sure Sprint was my vendor, and PCS vision was the model, then attempted to connect. (Acct Name and password is blank, #777 for my number.) When I connect, a window titled network connection opens. Its asking me to fill in two fields of information. One asking to "Please enter your name", and the other "Please enter your password". I leave them blank, and it attempts to connect to my bb. My bb shows the blue status light signaling bluetooth is being activated/used, but like the previous poster, I'm getting the same message. "An error occurred with the modem. Try reconnecting. If the problem continues, verify your settings and contact your Administrator."

I've also downloaded the Leopard Scripts and unzipped to the proper directory, Rebooted both my Mac and did a battery pull on my bb, but same message.

Just a side not, I cannot connect via USB with the new network connection named "Rim Composite Device" that was created after I installed the BB Desktop Mgr. I get the same error.

One last bit of info. apparently a lot of people on sprint that were tethering w/their bb, have been having this issue as of about 9/15 last month or so. It seems that some changes were done on sprints end that prevents using bb as a modem. . . So all of us with sprint may be stuck and forced to use tetherberry, unless Rayford has a trick up his sleeve. I got this information from this sprintusers forum:

Using Blackberry 8330 as modem but getting Error 678 with Sprint Smartview. - Page 3 - SprintUsers.com

Thanks for any help everyone.
    10-19-09 08:25 PM
    First, heartfelt thanks to everyone here who has posted tips/results/etc.

I'm currently using a VZW 8330 and a 2009 13" MBP running Snow Leopard.

Back in July when I first got the MBP, after several hours of Google research I was able to tether my 8330 to the MBP via USB and realize download speeds of between 600 and 1200 kbps. Prior to that I was using Bluetooth DUN and was limited to about 300 kbps. The USB solution involved downloading and installing Pocketmac, the updated Pocketmac drivers, and VZAccess configured for one of the USB devices that work on the Mac. It worked flawlessly. I used USB all the time when on the road unless I needed to do something very quickly and didn't need the extra speed - for those cases Bluetooth was just fine.

Then, in what will likely go down in history as the worst OS upgrade decision I've ever made, I upgraded to Snow Leopard. Along with a host of other stability and reliability problems after the upgrade, I was no longer able to connect via tethered USB.

Then, today, I found this thread.

Currently, I have uninstalled Pocketmac and VZAccess. I have installed the brand new Blackberry Desktop Manager for Mac. After installing BDM, VZAccess was still unable to find the 8330 when connected via USB, however, I can make a USB connection to the RIM Composite Device now.

Here's my problem: the data transmission speed over USB is abysmal. I am seeing speeds in the neighborhood of 100 kbps even when sitting right next to a VZW cell. When I disconnect and reconnect using Bluetooth, I get the ~300 kbps Bluetooth max easily. When I connect up with a Dell Windows XP machine using VZAccess at the same location, I'm back at 700-1200 kbps easily.

I've tried different modem scripts with no joy. I tried the 8800 script that is attached to this thread based on another report here that it works with the VZW 8330, and it disconnects immediately. I'm having pretty good results with the "Research in Motion Blackberry IP Modem (CDMA)" script. I opened this script with TextWrangler and noticed two places where it specifies "Connection Speed" as 115200. Aha! I tried changing this to 921600, 460800, then tried blanking it out completely, reapplying the modem settings to refresh each time, even rebooting and reselecting the "Research in Motion Blackberry IP Modem (CDMA)" script, and still the speed is limited to around 100 kbps when connected via USB each time.

I'd really like to find a way to get back to my pre-Snow Leopard USB connection speeds. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jack
    10-24-09 01:07 AM
    Hi ajolly (all) !
    I am also on 3 australia using blackberry bold and SL on my macbook. I can not get the tethering work on my laptop. It is always get a ppp error. I've download the modem script but did not do the ppp patch since some one said it is not necessary to do it on SL. For the telephone number field i use : 3netaccess and leave the username and password fields blank. These are what i have done, but the tehtering never work for me. I saw you have a success on it, can you please tell me how to do it? Many thanks in advance!
    Danny!
    10-24-09 07:32 AM
    Mr. Booth, I am following the thread step by step in working on my Storm tether, but cannot figure out what:
    "Also did you set your APN settings on the blackberry? Settings > Advanced options > TCP/IP Set the settings to the same settings you used on the mac."
    means. I can find this on the BB, but can't find the settings in my mac. Help.
    When you go into settings on your BB. Is there not a Advanced settings menu?
    10-24-09 06:58 PM
    after i follow the basic steps and go to network preferecnes, i get bluetooth DUN, and it just tries connecting and doesnt stop....any suggestions
    Double check all your settings. You have typed something somewhere that is incorrect.

Also do a battery pull and check your settings on your BB.
    10-24-09 07:00 PM
    i can't seem to get tethering to work over bt.

Here's what i got:

• blackberry tour - 9630 with sprint
    • mackbook pro with snow leopard 10.6.1
    • blackberry desktop manager 1.0.0 installed

here's what i did:

1. paired up the blackberry and the mac
    2. set up the network settings to be:
      Sprint
      telephone number: #777
      account name: Blank
      password: Blank
    3. clicked on connecting. Blackberry showed both network and bluethooth activity, but ultimately failed with the message "an error occurred with the modem. Try reconnecting. If the problem continues, verify your settings and contact your administrator."
    4. downloaded blackberry leopard scripts (8100 8700 8800).ccl.zip and unzipped it to /library/model scripts
    5. rebooted both my blackberry and mac
    6. tried to connect but failed with the same message

i didn't unzip the blackberry bold 3g.zip file because my phone is not bold. And i didn't install the pppd fix.dmg.zip because update message said no need to.

Now i'm stuck. I think it has something to do with the fact that bdm is installed.

Can anyone help me where i should go from here? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks even without it!!
    people installing the scipts does not make the scripts used. You need to select the correct script for your bb when you are in the bt modem settings!!!
    10-24-09 07:01 PM
    First off, thanks Rayford for taking the time to write this play by play out to help us. Here's my issue.

My setup:
    Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard 10.6.1
    Blackberry Curve 8330 v4.5.0.175
    Blackberry Desktop Manager 1.0 (about to upgrade to the 1.0.1)

I went thru the steps in the first thread to pair my blackberry. After doing so I went to System Preferences->Network->then I chose the Bluetooth DUN connection that was created. I clicked advanced and made sure Sprint was my vendor, and PCS vision was the model, then attempted to connect. (Acct Name and password is blank, #777 for my number.) When I connect, a window titled network connection opens. Its asking me to fill in two fields of information. One asking to "Please enter your name", and the other "Please enter your password". I leave them blank, and it attempts to connect to my bb. My bb shows the blue status light signaling bluetooth is being activated/used, but like the previous poster, I'm getting the same message. "An error occurred with the modem. Try reconnecting. If the problem continues, verify your settings and contact your Administrator."

I've also downloaded the Leopard Scripts and unzipped to the proper directory, Rebooted both my Mac and did a battery pull on my bb, but same message.

Just a side not, I cannot connect via USB with the new network connection named "Rim Composite Device" that was created after I installed the BB Desktop Mgr. I get the same error.

One last bit of info. apparently a lot of people on sprint that were tethering w/their bb, have been having this issue as of about 9/15 last month or so. It seems that some changes were done on sprints end that prevents using bb as a modem. . . So all of us with sprint may be stuck and forced to use tetherberry, unless Rayford has a trick up his sleeve. I got this information from this sprintusers forum:

Using Blackberry 8330 as modem but getting Error 678 with Sprint Smartview. - Page 3 - SprintUsers.com

Thanks for any help everyone.
    Why in the world did you select sprint and PCS as your model and modem?!!!??? You need to go back and read the guide. You need to choose the correct blackberry modem script under vendor and model.
    10-24-09 07:02 PM
    Hi ajolly (all) !
    I am also on 3 australia using blackberry bold and SL on my macbook. I can not get the tethering work on my laptop. It is always get a ppp error. I've download the modem script but did not do the ppp patch since some one said it is not necessary to do it on SL. For the telephone number field i use : 3netaccess and leave the username and password fields blank. These are what i have done, but the tehtering never work for me. I saw you have a success on it, can you please tell me how to do it? Many thanks in advance!
    Danny!
    The telephone number, username and password. Are these the correct entries for the fields?? Double and triple check..

Have you done a battery pull? And i assume you are selecting the correct modem script in the modem screen? Do you have your settings correct on the BB?

Does your carrier block tethering? Call and make sure. It is possible you may have a data block whihc is causing your issues.
    10-24-09 07:06 PM
191 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD