UPDATE: Sept 6: If you install the Blackberry Desktop Manager for Mac you will not have access to USB Tethering. to enable the tethering through usb, install the DM for mac and then plug you berry in. WHen you first plug it in, a notification will come up saying that a new network device has been installed. Open network preferences and use the same settings and modem script that you would use for BT tethering. I am posting this update while USB tethered to my Bold.

UPDATE: Aug 30 2009: Looks like Snow Leopard has fixed the issue that was being caused by the PPPD issue. So if you upgrade to SN you will not need the PPPD patch anymore. I am actually connected with BT through my Bold and have a fresh snow leopard installed.

NOTE: Many people have read that Bluetooth tethering has not worked on blackberry since .194. With the latest PPPD patch for mac all new OS versions included the latest official .282 works with tethering. See FAQ section for PPPD patch

Modem Scripts and PPPD patch can be downloaded from the bottom of this post. The 8800 Script works for the storm

This thread will house all the information needed to tether for your mac. Most information is spread through multiple threads with problems solved over hundreds of posts. This thread will consolidate that information and bring unity to the solved issues us Mac users have faced with tethering our Blackberries with our macs.

Stay tuned for lots of information including FAQs, problems solved, fixes, and walk through.

OK..... First up. The most basic information needed for tethering.

Setting up the Bluetooth Connection Between Blackberry and Mac:

1. (Mac) Turn on Bluetooth, Left Click Bluetooth symbol from menu bar and press "Turn Bluetooth On"
    2. (Mac) Open System Preferences
    3. (Mac) Select Bluetooth from System Preferences
    4. (Mac) In the bottom left of the bluetooth window select the "+" symbol
    5. (Mac) The Bluetooth Setup Assistant will open. Select Continue
    6. (Mac) Select Mobile Phone, Do not press Continue
    7. (Blackberry) Turn on Bluetooth, Press Blackberry Menu Button > Select "Manage Connections" > Select "Set Up Bluetooth"
    8. (Blackberry) Window Will appear asking you to select a name to identify your Blackberry over Bluetooth. Input a name or select Ok to the default Blackberry Name
    9. (Blackberry) The Add Device Window will appear, Select Listen
    10. (Mac) Press Continue
    11. (Mac) Once the Blackberry is found Press Continue
    12. (Mac) Once the information is gathered on the mac about your Blackberry device, Press Continue
    13. (Blackberry) Enter the numeric code from the Mac Bluetooth Setup Assistant Window into the Blackberry. The Blackberry will be requesting the code
    14. (Blackberry) You will now be asked if you want to accept the connection from the mac. Select yes and if you want, Check the "Do not ask me again" box
    15. (Mac) The Mac will ask if you want to "Access the Internet with your phone's data connection", make sure this is checked.
    16. (Mac) Press Continue
    17. (Mac) Mac may ask for your password. Type it in and Press Ok
    18. (Mac) Will ask for your Modem details for your Blackberry. See "Carrier Specific APN Settings" below for Modem Script Details, Carrier Usernames, Passwords, and Phone Numbers
    19. (Mac) Fill In Carrier specific Username, Password, and Phone Number. Also select your Phone Vender (Category) and Phone Model(Modem)
    20. (Mac) Press Continue, Mac may ask for password again.
    21. (Mac) Your Done. Press Quit

Carrier Specific APN Settings: Usernames, Password, and Phone Numbers:

Blackberryfaq.com has a great list of APN settings with specific details:
    Carrier specific APN/TCP settings - BlackBerryFAQ

Advanced Mac Bluetooth Settings:
    Open Network settings under System Preferences:

If your settings are locked, make sure to unlock them.
    In this window make sure your settings are entered for Telephone Number, Account Name and Password. This information can be found above in the Carrier Specific APN Settings section. Once that information is entered select "Advanced"

The match your settings from the Advanced button to the following photos below.

Note that some people turn the "Enable error correction and compression in modem" on, but when it is turned off, speed are a little faster.

FAQ:

Help i keep getting a PPP negotiation error:
    - This error is most likely being caused by the connection being between the Blackberry and the Mac over the PPP going to fast. Thanks to Et-Setera this problem has been solved.
    Go to: Et-Setera � BlackBerry Bold PPPD Replacement and download the installation package. Once the package is installed the error should be no more.
    NOTE: THe PPPD patch is for Intel mac only. If someone has created the Power PC patch please send it on my way. Thanks

Under Network Settings My Bluetooth Interface shows up as "Bluetooth PAN"
    When I got to the step where you setup the phone and dial up information, the button to change phone type was greyed out and I couldn't enter the dial out number or any other data for that matter
    - Hit the "plus" on the Networks page, It will add a new BT connection and from there enter the dial-up number, login and password info.

How do i install the Modem Scripts?
    Unzip the files and place the modem scripts in /Library/Modem Scripts. Do not place the Bold script inside the folder with the Blackberry 8100 8700 8800 scripts. They are two different authors and set ups for the scripts. Just unzip the two .zip file and move into said modem scripts folder.

I keep getting the error "A modem error occurred please verify your settings and try again." on my mac when trying to tether
    This error often occurs when the Blackberry need to be restarted. Do a battery pull and that should solve the issue.
    Last edited by Rayford Booth; 09-06-09 at 01:24 PM.
    07-05-09 01:40 PM
    Reserved for future information
    07-05-09 01:41 PM
    Reserved for future information 2
    07-05-09 01:42 PM
    Reserved for future information 3
    07-05-09 01:42 PM
    Reserved for future information 4
    07-05-09 02:04 PM
    Sweet post. Really helpful stuff. I was going through this process the other day and hit a major roadblock. When I got to the step where you setup the phone and dial up information, the button to change phone type was greyed out and I couldn't enter the dial out number or any other data for that matter.

My fix: On my network page (mac) there was no Bluetooth network option...only a Bluetooth PAN (I have no idea what that is!) When I hit the "plus" on the Networks page, I was able to add a new BT connection and from there enter the dial-up number, login and password info. Presto: tethered to my Storm...pretty fast too!
    07-06-09 01:33 PM
    Sweet post. Really helpful stuff. I was going through this process the other day and hit a major roadblock. When I got to the step where you setup the phone and dial up information, the button to change phone type was greyed out and I couldn't enter the dial out number or any other data for that matter.

My fix: On my network page (mac) there was no Bluetooth network option...only a Bluetooth PAN (I have no idea what that is!) When I hit the "plus" on the Networks page, I was able to add a new BT connection and from there enter the dial-up number, login and password info. Presto: tethered to my Storm...pretty fast too!

Good tip will add it to the list. Need to update the info about the attached files as well. Which modem script did you use for the storm?
    07-06-09 01:38 PM
    Good tip will add it to the list. Need to update the info about the attached files as well. Which modem script did you use for the storm?
    I'm not sure what you mean by script, but if you're asking what vendor I used, I believe it was "other" as opposed to "generic". For model number, I left it at the first one that popped up (verizon PC something or another). Sorry I'm not more accurate...I was just happy to get it working!
    07-06-09 02:30 PM
    Modem scripts are the Blackberry files that you download and add to the /Library/Modem Scripts folder
    07-06-09 02:31 PM
    Anyone have issues or success?
    07-13-09 06:03 PM
    I'm currently on Sprint using the Tour. cannot get it to work. I don't know what the Account name and password is. It worked when I had the Bold on ATT, however, this isn't workint via bluetooth.
    07-15-09 10:29 PM
    I'm currently on Sprint using the Tour. cannot get it to work. I don't know what the Account name and password is. It worked when I had the Bold on ATT, however, this isn't workint via bluetooth.
    For Sprint
    User Name: None
    Password: None
    Telephone Number: #777

unless its changed recently this should work.
    07-16-09 11:01 AM

If it still not working, you need to give more details of how it is not working.
    07-16-09 11:22 AM
    For Sprint
    User Name: None
    Password: None
    Telephone Number: #777

unless its changed recently this should work.
    Thats what I thought and read from other threads, that for Sprint you leave the user name and password blank.

However, when on my Mac, after I enter just the phone number and leave everything else blank, it doesn't allow me to hit the connect button. weird. Can you do this on your mac?
    07-16-09 11:35 AM
    Go to system prefs. GO to Network and select Bluetooth.
    Set the tele number and leave the username and pass blank and then pres apply. You will then be able to press connect
    07-16-09 11:42 AM
    will this work w/ an alltel 8830 we running 4.5.0.135 bb os and 10.57 or is it gsm specific?
    thanks!
    07-16-09 03:10 PM
    Worked flawlessly on my first Bold, but couldn't get it to work on my second. This thread fixed that issue. Thanks a lot.
    07-18-09 01:03 PM
    Just to confirm, both bolds are working correct?
    07-19-09 07:19 PM
    Does this require a tethering plan or does this us the existing data plan? I am trying to decide if I need TetherBerry or not. I do not have a tethering plan from Verizon. It costs another $30 per month. I would hate to get a $2000 phone bill.

Thanks!
    07-24-09 01:32 PM
    This requires the tethering plan and don't worry you can't get online until you sign up. Once you tether you will taken to a webpage that instructs you to sign up for broadband mobile connect, which is the name for Verizon's tethering plan.
    07-25-09 12:58 AM
    when trying to install the pppd software i get an error message saying installation error: run preupgrade script for pppd.
    can anyone help??
    07-25-09 01:57 AM
    when trying to install the pppd software i get an error message saying installation error: run preupgrade script for pppd.
    can anyone help??

What os are you running and what system mac are you running. Only works for a Intel mac.
    07-25-09 12:56 PM
    Hello,
    I am having a bit of trouble with my tethering endeavor. I am attempting to tether a storm 9530 with my macbook running newest updated leopard os. I am paying the extra $15 to verizon for the tethering ability. I keep getting error messages once submitting all the info and clicking the phone icon on the menu bar and selecting connect. I have tried many variations of info and have read numerous posts online which give conflicting info but nothing seems to work.

One set of info I enter is:

phone vendor - other
    phone model - verizon support (pc5220)
    username - [phone number]@vzw3g.com
    password - vzw
    phone# - #777

When this info is entered I get a message saying, "A modem error occurred please verify your settings and try again.".
    Because it populates the model field with verizon support I assumed this would be correct but obviously isn't.

Another set of info gets a different error message.

phone vendor - generic
    phone model - bluetooth lan access
    password - vzw
    phone# - #777

When this info is entered the error message reads, "Could not negotiate a connection with the remote ppp server. please verify settings and try again.".

I saw the earlier post that reads, "I keep getting a PPP negotiation error:
    - This error is most likely being caused by the connection being between the Blackberry and the Mac over the PPP going to fast. Thanks to Et-Setera this problem has been solved.
    Go to: Et-Setera � BlackBerry Bold PPPD Replacement and download the installation package. Once the package is installed the error should be no more.

Because this package is meant for a bold I am hesitant to go ahead with it. Is there anyone out there that has successfully tethered a storm 9530 to a macbook? Or anyone who can help me?
    07-26-09 08:18 PM
    Hello,
    I am having a bit of trouble with my tethering endeavor. I am attempting to tether a storm 9530 with my macbook running newest updated leopard os. I am paying the extra $15 to verizon for the tethering ability. I keep getting error messages once submitting all the info and clicking the phone icon on the menu bar and selecting connect. I have tried many variations of info and have read numerous posts online which give conflicting info but nothing seems to work.

One set of info I enter is:

phone vendor - other
    phone model - verizon support (pc5220)
    password - vzw
    phone# - #777

When this info is entered I get a message saying, "A modem error occurred please verify your settings and try again.".
    Because it populates the model field with verizon support I assumed this would be correct but obviously isn't.

Another set of info gets a different error message.

phone vendor - generic
    phone model - bluetooth lan access
    password - vzw
    phone# - #777

When this info is entered the error message reads, "Could not negotiate a connection with the remote ppp server. please verify settings and try again.".

I saw the earlier post that reads, "I keep getting a PPP negotiation error:

Because this package is meant for a bold I am hesitant to go ahead with it. Is there anyone out there that has successfully tethered a storm 9530 to a macbook? Or anyone who can help me?

The PPPD patch will work with any system. It was designed for the Bold because the bold was the first BB with the issue. But it does not actually have anything to do with the bold. It is completely based on the mac and is not linked to the bold in any way.

Install it if you are on a intel mac.

Also you should be using the 8800 modem script not the generic modem script you are currently using.
    07-26-09 08:22 PM
    Rayford Booth,

Thank you for this very thorough posting. I am posting a reply using the connectivity through my Blackberry Bold. Very excited.

Best,

Sonia
    07-27-09 01:54 PM
191 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD