I have completed steps 1-6.
    I am having trouble with step 7.
    How do I navigate to the directory where the DLL files are?
    Where do I enter the info?

Thanks
    After reset.cmd finishes, simply type the commands in step 7 in the command prompt (which should already be open).
    01-01-09 03:13 PM
    Thanks for replying so quickly.

After the program finishes running, it closes.
    There is no command prompt.

I've tried hitting, Start, run, and then entering the commands. It doesnt work.

Please advise.

Thank you
    01-01-09 04:22 PM
    Open the command prompt back up then just as you did in step 2.
    01-01-09 06:05 PM
    I really appreciate all your halp.

I tried repeating step 2. [I] have windows xp.

It says it doesn't recognize cd. If I type it without cd it gives me a failed message.

I am pulling my hair out!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    01-01-09 06:57 PM
    You must be doing something wrong then.

Type cd /

Does that work? If it does, then you are typing the commands incorrectly.
    01-01-09 07:28 PM
    Sunkast -- A thousand thanks for all of your efforts to fix the "1904 problem." I got the same error messages every single time I tried to install DM 4.7 -- and I tried about 8 times before giving up: clean uninstalling, clean uninstalling Roxio, reinstalling v4.7 from both the CD and via download from BlackBerry's site and from Verizon's. Absolutely nothing worked but I have yet to try the solution you describe in the first post above. (I'm running XP Pro SP3, Office 2003, on a Toshiba laptop -- have new Storm.) I then tried downloading v4.2.2 (which reportedly avoids both the 1904 problem and the resulting sync issue -- that is, the message that says "the computer must be connected to the internet in order to initially configure synchronization settings . . ." every time you try to configure synchronization) but I'm having a whole different set of issues with v4.2.2 (e.g., DM can't detect the BB). At the moment, I have clean uninstalled all BlackBerry and Roxio software from my machine and am sitting here absolutely stumped. No idea where to go from here.

It occurs to me that perhaps I should give your solution a try even though there are some reports above that this isn't working on XP SP3 systems. My question is simply this: do I need to re-install v4.7 (yet again!!) before taking the steps you describe above? Duh. My gut tells me I do have to re-install it to try this solution since, without any DM software on my machine, there are no GW.dll, etc. files to register. Is this correct? (Obviously, as you can tell, I am a totally clueless computer user -- I can follow step by step instructions but I can't claim to understand what I'm doing.)

Again, many thanks again for your help!
    01-03-09 05:57 PM
    You don't need to reinstall DM unless you have uninstalled it. You could do these steps without DM installed. Then install DM and hopefully it will work. The instructions were written as if the user already has DM installed, taking them through how to manually register the DLL files that failed during installtion.
    01-03-09 06:22 PM
    Thank you, Sunkast! Am I correct in assuming that I can take this process through your step #6 without having any version of DM installed? (I have no RIM or Roxio software on my machine at the moment -- have clean un-installed everything.) Or can I take it all the way through #7?

It just seems to me that if I have not installed DM v4.7 on my machine before I try step #7, there won't be any gw.dll, gwapi.dll, etc. files to manually register and the Research in Motion files on my hard drive won't yet exist. Sorry to be pestering you with questions but, as I said, I'm no computer whiz.
    01-03-09 06:39 PM
    Thank you, Sunkast! Am I correct in assuming that I can take this process through your step #6 without having any version of DM installed? (I have no RIM or Roxio software on my machine at the moment -- have clean un-installed everything.) Or can I take it all the way through #7?

It just seems to me that if I have not installed DM v4.7 on my machine before I try step #7, there won't be any gw.dll, gwapi.dll, etc. files to manually register and the Research in Motion files on my hard drive won't yet exist. Sorry to be pestering you with questions but, as I said, I'm no computer whiz.
    That is correct.
    01-03-09 06:44 PM
    Okey-dokey. Here goes . . . I'll post the results here later this evening. Thank you!
    01-03-09 06:47 PM
    Well, ran into a brick wall right away. Step 3 brought up C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe box. When I typed notebook reset.cmd, it simply said "notebook is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." Now what?
    01-03-09 07:00 PM
    Never mind. I typed notebook when I should have typed notepad. Duh.
    01-03-09 07:02 PM
    Sunkast -- Just to let you know that the steps you outlined in the first post here worked perfectly on my XP Pro SP3 machine and I successfully registered all four .dll files that were giving me the 1904 errors during installation of DM v4.7. The only failure messages I got during the registration process (similar to some of those reported in earlier posts here) resulted from typos in my entries -- with typos corrected, all succeeded.

What I haven't yet tried is to connect my BB to my computer to see whether DM v4.7 is now going to let me configure synchronization. On all prior sync attempts, I've gotten the often-reported "the computer must be connected to the internet in order to initially configure synchronization settings . . ." message. If I get that message again, even after fixing the .dll file registration issue, then I'm out of options for DM v4.7 and will have to go with an earlier version -- DM v4.2.2 has worked for some folks with this problem.

Anyway, many, many thanks for your help with this! I really appreciate all of your efforts. I just wish that RIM were as interested in fixing these problems!
    01-04-09 07:29 PM
    Phew...

Have you considered trying a different download package?

I used the 200 Mb English with Media Manager, no problems with a Vista install.

hi , im new to all this and had problems instaling my destop manager so i tried the 200 mb english and im still having problems , it wont open any of the applications , im running an older windows xp version of which im not sure ??
    01-19-09 04:09 PM
    I have working with this problem for 2 days. I tried Blackberry knowledge center and downloaded (and paid for) registry software and nothing fixed the problem until I found these instructions. It seems that the service pack3 causes all kinds of problems with the Desktop Tools if you had a previous version. So I cannot guarantee this for all of you, but this worked for me.

How To - Perform a clean uninstall of BlackBerry Desktop Software
    How To - Register the atl.dll file
    Note: I have combined the two articles into one set of instructions.

How to Perform a Clean Uninstall/Reinstall of BlackBerry Desktop Software

Details

The clean uninstall procedure removes all traces of the BlackBerry Desktop Software. It consists of six tasks.

1. Uninstall the BlackBerry Desktop Software.
    2. Delete the Research In Motion� folders from the registry.
    3. Delete the Pumatech Shared folders from the registry (if present).
    4. Delete the Research In Motion folders from your hard drive.
    5. Delete the Pumatech Shared folder from your hard drive (if present).
    6. Restart your computer.
    7. Register alt.dll (reinstall only).

Task 1 - Uninstall the BlackBerry Desktop Software

To uninstall

1. Close BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    2. Open the Control Panel and double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon.
    3. Select BlackBerry Desktop Software and click Change/Remove.
    4. On the InstallShield Wizard window, click the Remove option, followed by Next.
    5. On the Confirm Uninstall window, click OK.
    6. On the InstallShield Wizard window, click Finish.

Task 2 - Delete the Research In Motion Folders from the Registry

To delete the Research In Motion folders

1. Click Start > Run.
    2. Type Regedit, and then click OK.
    3. In Registry Editor, delete the Research In Motion folder located in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\
    4. Delete the Research In Motion folder located in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\
    Note: This key will not be present if you are removing Desktop Manager version 4.0.

5. Leave the Registry Editor open to complete the next task.

Task 3 - Delete the Pumatech Shared Folders from the Registry (If Present)

Pumatech Shared folders only exist in the registry prior to Desktop Manager version 4.0 service pack 1.

To delete the Pumatech Shared folders

1. In Registry Editor, delete the Puma Technology folder located in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\
    2. Delete the Puma Technology folder located in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\
    3. Close the Registry editor.

Task 4 - Delete the Research In Motion Folders from Your Hard Drive

If you are using Windows 2000 or Windows XP

1. Open Windows Explorer.
    2. Delete the Research In Motion folder in C:\Program Files\
    Note: This key may not be present if you are removing Desktop Manager version 4.0.

3. Delete the Research In Motion folder in C:\Program Files\Common Files (if present).
    4. Delete the Research In Motion folder in C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\
    Note: If you are unable to see the Application Data folder, it might be a hidden system folder. See the Additional Information section for instructions on how to display hidden files and folders.

5. If you were using Desktop Manager version 4.0 service pack 1, delete the BlackBerry Desktop folder in C:\Documents and Settings\<user names>\Application Data\
    03-07-09 11:08 PM
    See changes in dark red:

Navigate to the directory that the DLL files are in and register them.
    Type cd C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\IS71 Connectors\ISGroupWise6.5.X\ and hit enter.
    Type regsvr32 gw.dll and hit enter
    Type gwapi.dll and hit enter
    Type regsvr32 gwapi.dll and hit enter
    Type cd C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\IS71 Desktop Setup\ and hit enter
    Type regsvr32 DesktopSetup_pb.dll and hit enter
    Type C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\IS71 Action Engine\ and hit enter
    Type cd C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\IS71 Action Engine\ and hit enter
    Type regsvr32 SyncAE_pb.dll and hit enter

Hope this helps.
    03-11-09 04:49 PM
    Hi,
    from where i can download the larest version of desktop manager.
    03-13-09 03:16 PM
    I completed all the steps layed out in Post #1, registered all the problem dll's and still get this error message:
    "The computer must be connected to the internet in order to initially configure sychronization setting. Please insure that you are able to connect to the internet and try again.
    There are 2 options Retry and cancel. Retry gets same message and yes I'm connected to the internet.

Anyone have any answers before I take this damn Storm back to the store?
    This is fixed with a small registry change:

1) In Vista click on the start globe and in the search box type regedit and hit enter go to the following registry key:

2) Go to the following registry key:
    HKey_Current_User/Software/Research in Motion/Blackberry

3) Click on the Synchronize folder and you should see a subfolder labled 0x24b0e298

4) click that key and on the right side of the page you will see several entries, right click the item labeled "STATE" and hit modify

5) Change it to "0" (Zero) without the quotes, from what ever it was set at (mine was a 6)

6) Close the registry and reboot.

You should be able to sychronize... it worked for me!
    03-18-09 09:46 AM
    I'm doing everything to the letter, but am getting stuck on Step 7. It says it doesn't recognize cd. What do I do? If this doesn't work I don't know what I'll ever do to fix this error and upgrade from DM 4.2.2.

Thanks in advance!

~Sheri
    03-22-09 04:25 PM
    I had read that the registry errors caused the "computer must be connected to the internet in order to intially configure synchronization settings" I did everything that your post said to do and it seemed to work, but for some reason I'm still getting the "computer must be connected to the internet..." when I try to Sync. Any idea why this is happening.
    03-28-09 05:49 PM
    ok I got mine working. If anyone is having the same problem as I was with once you put in the registry errors manually then still getting the "must be connected to the internet..." then try doing what BerrySue said about changing the number from 6 to 0 cuz that worked for me as well. Good luck to others who have this problem.
    03-29-09 05:50 PM
    I manually fixed the registry errors but still get the "must be conntcted to the internet...." I tried Berry Sue's registry fix, but I am on the new Version 5 and couldn't find where to change the number from 6 to 0. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.
    08-08-09 10:24 PM
    It's so easy to blame Windows for the problems you're experiencing, but please explain why the only problem software I have is the Blackberry desktop Manager? All my other sotware (including Nokia desktop) installed and works fine. Could it be, by any chance, that Blackberry has a poor product. Not only am I struggling with this sync feature, but my Curve loses emails and fauils to find names in my address book when they are in fact there. All roun dI have not been impressed with Blackberry at all. It's a lousy phone.
    09-24-09 12:58 AM
    BerrySue - any chance you can help with this problem?

I used your fix for the "Not Connected" issue with DM 4.7 a while back and it worked fine until I tried to synch a second blackberry. Then I got the same "must be connected" error even though I am connected.

Thought I would upgrade to DM 5, but surprise - exactly the same errors as DM 4.7.

So I went through the fixes to register the DLL files, and still get the connection issue when trying to set up synchronization.

When I looked for the file to change the state from 6 to 0, I could not find it - checked all of the files under regedit and could not find one with a "State" parameter.

Can you offer any insight? PC OS is XP.

This is fixed with a small registry change:

1) In Vista click on the start globe and in the search box type regedit and hit enter go to the following registry key:

2) Go to the following registry key:
    HKey_Current_User/Software/Research in Motion/Blackberry

3) Click on the Synchronize folder and you should see a subfolder labled 0x24b0e298

4) click that key and on the right side of the page you will see several entries, right click the item labeled "STATE" and hit modify

5) Change it to "0" (Zero) without the quotes, from what ever it was set at (mine was a 6)

6) Close the registry and reboot.

You should be able to sychronize... it worked for me!
    10-20-09 09:59 PM
    New poster, can't start thread. Please help.

Trying to sync 2 blackberries to same pc with different data. Husband and I want to sync different address books with outlook as data base manager.

Thanks for your help up front!
    10-25-09 06:14 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD