Help Please.

I have been convinced to make the move from a Bold 9900 to a Z10.
    My problem is that the 'Link' software doesn't do a total switch like unlike the old BB Desktop software used to.
    Very ritical are my over 3000 contacts which a message indicates wont copy. Seems this is probably cos I had backed up to Google when I bought an Android at some point a while back. I have since deleted all my contacts off Google and still no joy.

What can I do to force a total switch like we used to 'in the good old days'??? (Don't want to go through Google as it corrupts my data)

Please help as this is a deal breaker with me.
    03-12-13 03:28 PM
    Hi,
    Mac or PC ?
    What about Bluetooth Transfer ?
    03-12-13 03:43 PM
    I wasnt able to transfer any contacts from my BB7 either this is a major pain, I have never tried this but maybe through the sim card, the z10 seems to really rely on simcard contacts
    03-12-13 03:45 PM
    Maybe there is encrytion turned on on your Bold ? Settings Security encrytion make shure contacts are uncheckt on your Bold?
    03-12-13 03:50 PM
    So far there is only one sure fire way to copy contacts. Here they are.

First make sure to disable encryption. It always interferes with the contact list.

Second delete any and all contact GROUPS. I mean ALL. This particular thing does not carry over into the z10 particularly well because it is NOT supported. So do it.

Third link your two units together using blue tooth. On your 9900 go to the blue tooth options and select options on the z10 pairing. Select transfer contacts. Your entire contact list will now transfer perfectly. Enjoy a cup of coffee or a short film as 3000 contacts will certainly take a considerable amount of time. Make sure you have adequate power for both units.

This is how I transferred my 1500 contacts over.

Posted via CB10 STL-100-1 Globe PH
    03-12-13 04:09 PM
    Pc.
    Bluetooth seems like just one contact at a time and I have over 3000...or is there something I am missing
    03-12-13 04:39 PM
    So far there is only one sure fire way to copy contacts. Here they are.

First make sure to disable encryption. It always interferes with the contact list.

Second delete any and all contact GROUPS. I mean ALL. This particular thing does not carry over into the z10 particularly well because it is NOT supported. So do it.

Third link your two units together using blue tooth. On your 9900 go to the blue tooth options and select options on the z10 pairing. Select transfer contacts. Your entire contact list will now transfer perfectly. Enjoy a cup of coffee or a short film as 3000 contacts will certainly take a considerable amount of time. Make sure you have adequate power for both units.

This is how I transferred my 1500 contacts over.

Wow. Thanks. Will try it and revert
    03-12-13 04:41 PM
    Just wanted to share what I found out. I found out about this way of transferring too late. What I did was to copy each and every contact over to email as an attachment. It took me ages but I powered through. On my 2nd try I did this blue tooth copy instead. Saved a lot of finger strain.

03-12-13 05:03 PM
    Thanks guys. Moved contacts over by Bluetooth but I have a new problem. When I receive calls, the name doesn't come up even though contact is in the phone. Is there a setting....???
    03-13-13 02:24 AM
    I transferred using NFC

Posted via CB10
    03-13-13 02:34 AM
    Hi again all,

Thanks for all your help but I have given up. Had to as the following shortfalls in BB's strategy (or lack of it ) was starting to affect business within 12 hours.

1) No Whatsapp!! That threw me out of communication from non-BB users
    2) Not all calendar items moved over so almost missed an appointment this morning
    3) Even though I moved address book by Bluetooth, quite a few were left out. That could spell disaster as I couldn't tell which ones were left behind.
    4) Worst is that contacts don't show up when phone rings. That is outrageous.

In conclusion I have decided to keep the phone for a week or two after which if there is no safe way to uprade with Bold 9900 date I will sell the Z10. IMHO I think it is ridiculous that RIM would launch a new platform and not write software to bring about a seamless sweat-free upgrade. Wake up RIM.
    I also thing that long term RIM should make BB available across all platforms if possible. If not....
    03-13-13 03:34 AM
    I agree that the switch should be sweat free especially from a 9900. I shudder to think what other older BlackBerry users went through. By the same token I think we should give bbry a chance to recover. This is a new Os after all.

03-13-13 04:53 AM
    I agree that the switch should be sweat free especially from a 9900. I shudder to think what other older BlackBerry users went through. By the same token I think we should give bbry a chance to recover. This is a new Os after all.

I agree with you that we should give it a chance which is why I am keeping the Z10 for a few weeks before 'throwing in the proverbial towel'. You see, the Blackberry is primarily a business phone. It is therefore, for many, a tool. If a new tool doesn't work as well as the old, then you simply go backwards before you do possible irreparable damage to your business. ie: missing an appointment or not recognising a phone number could lose you work!!
    03-13-13 05:23 AM
    Yes that's fair enough. With regards to contacts not registering properly I did have an issue with text messages not showing up properly and contacts not showing up. What I did was delete all my old txt messages and a reload/ wipe.

Maybe you should delete all your current call voice mail logs and do a reset. Failing that a reload might help.

03-13-13 06:37 AM
    I still think it is RIM's responsibility to retain existing customers by ensuring a smooth crossover. It just is not fair that loyal customers have to jump through hoops to stay with the brand!!
    03-13-13 08:25 AM
    Well, I give up!!
    Did a device switch using a microdisk and no contacts or calendars came through.
    Using the LINK software doesn't move all.
    Isnt it a shame that I cant use a new Blackberry because the software doesn't move date over properly? Well, plus the phone cannot show names when calls come in!!

I wonder though, why there isn't more of this on this forum as virtually everybody I have run into here has that problem.
    03-26-13 02:29 PM